Haitian Jack Hip-Hop Miniseries In The Works

Options
RickyRich
RickyRich Members Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ted Field, ‘Straight Outta Compton’ writer Alan Wenkus and ‘All Eyez on Me’ director Benny Boom have teamed for the Radar Pictures scripted entry.
The life of hip-hop manager and promoter Jacques “Haitian Jack” Agnant is coming to the small screen.
Former Interscope Records co-founder Ted Field and his Radar Pictures is teaming with Straight Outta Compton writer Alan Wenkus and All Eyez on Me director Benny Boom for the eight-episode miniseries exploring his life, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

While a network has yet to be attached, the plan is to shop the miniseries to broadcast, cable, premium networks and streaming services, with multiple outlets already expressing interest in the project.

Here’s how the miniseries is being described: “[It] will explore Haitian Jack’s journey as an immigrant from Haiti thrust into the mean streets of Brooklyn at the height of the New York ? epidemic. As he transitions from private schools to becoming a feared stick-up artist targeting drug dealers, Jack finds himself in the cutthroat music business during the most controversial period in hip-hop history.”

Field, Tony Brown, Erik Hicks and Constance Tillotson will produce for Radar; Wenkus (part of the Oscar-nominated writing team for N.W.A biopic Straight Outta Compton) and Boom (who helmed Tupac Shakur biopic All Eyez on Me) will also exec produce. Haitian Jack is also on board as a technical adviser. Wenkus will pen the script, while Boom is attached to direct.

“As feared and connected as Haitian Jack was, the infamous figures he interacted with in the 1990s hip-hop scene were even more sinister and ruthless,” Wenkus said. “Working with the amazing Benny Boom and Ted Field has given us access to interviews and firsthand accounts that gives the series enormous credibility.”

Haitian Jack’s former business associates included Tupac Shakur, Biggie Smalls, Wyclef Jean and Madonna, among others.

Added Boom: “Haitian Jack’s story is extraordinary and the opportunity to explore his life through a television series is incredible. Crime, drugs violence and music as told through his experiences will be a groundbreaking moment for television.”

Noted Radar Pictures CEO Field: “As a producer you really enjoy having the rare opportunity to find a great story. I’m very pleased to work with Alan, Benny and the rest of the team to bring the riveting Haitian Jack series to fruition.”

Wenkus is repped by Tillotson at L.A. Management and Andrew Zucker at Isaacman Kaufman and Painter. Boom is with Brian Dobbins at Principato Young and Bryan Diperstein and Katie Cates at ICM Partners.

The Haitian Jack mini arrives as hip-hop scripted dramas have become more commonplace following the success of Fox’s Empire. VH1 next premieres The Breaks on Feb. 20.

Comments