Anyone practice Martial Arts?How do you feel about it?Did it influence your life?

Options
Cabana_Da_Don
Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2017 in For The Grown & Sexy
I´m 31 years old I have been practicing for couple months almost 4 months to be exact.It changed my life.You know when you were 25 and you thought you knew everything and then you reach 28 and your wiser than you hit 30 and you notice you don´t know anything.everything changes.First it was Rap (14-20 yrs) then it was knowledge 20-31 yrs(reading books) and then I hit 31 and Jiu Jitsu came to me.This art made me stop using drugs and I cut down alcohol I started lifting weights again, losing weight,ashama attack pratically stopped and my back problems just dissapered in a week.I became a nicer person, I learned how to learn from losing.I became more humble , just learning how to keep an open mind to something new.The little victories to make someone tap and then that same person can make you tap.And the difference between Jiu Jitsu is that you can practice 100% everytime because it´s not like karate, boxing or kung Fu in which if you go 100% all the time you will have brain damage hence Muhammad Ali.It also made me contemplate life itself.When you get choked and your so close to death it makes you more human.You see the constant relationship of life and death and how you can´t have one without the other.I hope those that are in there 20´s get in this warrior like journey.It will change your life if you stick with it for atleast couple months.

Comments

• Lurkristocrat
    Lurkristocrat Members Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    edited January 2017
    Options
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When I was younger and learned different stuff from other practitioners, but it's a lifestyle and extreme dedication. It's about holding yourself back, a weak man does weak things and a strong man does the strong thing to do and the wise/strong man does the wise/strong man thing.
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If I wasn't so focused on weight lifting I would take a martial art. There's a UFC gym that's not too far so I'll probably sign up soon. It's always good to train the body and mind to properly handle conflict/combat. Good thread.
  • gh0st
    gh0st Members Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Did Kenpo and Aikido for about 8 yrs it was fun kept me in shape and gave me crazy reflexes it calmed me down a lot too the better I got at it the less i got into fights. I'm not into much anymore but I still practice Aikido exercises/warmups from time to time just to keep the movements fresh in my mind "Hood Chi" as my wife calls it.

I want to look into a Krav Maga or Boxing just to keep active (desk jobs are murder on the body)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    When I was younger and learned different stuff from other practitioners, but it's a lifestyle and extreme dedication. It's about holding yourself back, a weak man does weak things and a strong man does the strong thing to do and the wise/strong man does the wise/strong man thing.

Yes.I want to get to that level of Wise/Strong.Mental and phisical Advancement.
  • WYRM
    WYRM Members Posts: 993 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I used too in various styles, till I crunched the numbers and decided I could buy a handgun cheaper than dojo fees, for protection. Now for fitness just Tai Chi in the park along with push/sticky hands, Tai Chi's version of sparring.
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Boxing. Loved it. Developed a great network of friends and associates. Learned some good discipline. Pushed my limitations. And had fun.

But traveling and work got in the way. I still do boxing training though when I can. Always wanted to do jiu jitsu as well. The idea of having anyone take me to the ground and choke the ? out of me didn't sit well with me. But never got around to it.

I just happened to come across this Gracie BJJ video the other day:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd1KDz1X7iE
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Options
    Yep.
    Started with Tae Kwon Do, Kyokushin, Judo, Wrestling, BJJ, Muay Thai, MAC lvl2 and then Boxing.

Dabbled in san shou, krav maga, and escrima

Moved around alot in my youth, every three years or so a new art. Plus I am naturally hyper active ( shocking, right?) so it kept me from getting into ? and learning how to focus.

I have that same ´´quality´´.Two people told me that I never finish what I start.That burned my sould deep.I took a look in my life and it was some what true.College,Rap etc.So now I´m devoted to be a black belt in Jiu Jitsu and finish college.Life is long but it runs fast if you don´t focus, it will pass by and you will accomplish nothing.We think victory is riding around in a new Car and rocking fly clothe and showing of but when you get old nobody care for that ? .It only takes 5-7 years to become a black belt.You know how quick 7 years goes by.Obama did 8 years that´s a black belt.
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Options
    WYRM wrote: »
    I used too in various styles, till I crunched the numbers and decided I could buy a handgun cheaper than dojo fees, for protection. Now for fitness just Tai Chi in the park along with push/sticky hands, Tai Chi's version of sparring.

The balance between the physical and the mental.Sometimes what runs the fight is the spirit within and not the physical.
    It´s not about killing it´s beyond that.Some things come with experience and you can´t explain it.It´s like describing the feeling of being high on coke or weed.It´s a deep experience if you are a spiritual person.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Options
    Yep.
    Started with Tae Kwon Do, Kyokushin, Judo, Wrestling, BJJ, Muay Thai, MAC lvl2 and then Boxing.

Dabbled in san shou, krav maga, and escrima

Moved around alot in my youth, every three years or so a new art. Plus I am naturally hyper active ( shocking, right?) so it kept me from getting into ? and learning how to focus.

I have that same ´´quality´´.Two people told me that I never finish what I start.That burned my sould deep.I took a look in my life and it was some what true.College,Rap etc.So now I´m devoted to be a black belt in Jiu Jitsu and finish college.Life is long but it runs fast if you don´t focus, it will pass by and you will accomplish nothing.We think victory is riding around in a new Car and rocking fly clothe and showing of but when you get old nobody care for that ? .It only takes 5-7 years to become a black belt.You know how quick 7 years goes by.Obama did 8 years that´s a black belt.

A strong work ethic helps a whole lot too.
    Tho that tends to border on obsession.
    But it works.

Co-sign.I´m not going to lie if a person has an addictive personality they can either do very well and turn out to be an astonishing champion or a great traineer or they could even get sick.
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I did Tae Kwon Do when I was like 11, dont know how it effected me as I stand today, but it did provide me my first winning experience when I got first place in this tournament... I got lazy and quit after that.

If anything though it taught me a little bit about discipline and improved my memory. From belt to belt, you gotta memorize longer and longer routines, I made it to brown... Also taught me about how adrenaline can make you a beast, I completely destroyed everyone I ever faught in practice and in the tourney.
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Biggest influence on my life. Did TKD for 8 years and I'm a 2nd dan black belt there. 4 years in the USAF and trained in kickboxing/boxing and a year of BJJ. A few amateur fights under my belt. Just found a place to start kyokushin, so that's next. Been doing some form of martial arts since I was 10.

Love everything about it. The physical fitness, the discipline, the awareness. I train a few kids now, when I get some free time, and I love that aspect as well.

I recommend everyone learn some form of martial art if they get the chance.
  • PureYang
    PureYang Members Posts: 520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm more so on the mystical side of things because of the teachers and training foundation Ive had in the past. I do traditional taiji, swordplay, and have recently found a teacher in my area for water boxing, and heart mind boxing so I'll be checking those out soon.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BJJ changed my life. No lie. I have no idea what gutter I'd be in right now if I never started training.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Taekwondo & Kickboxing but mostly for exercise. I don't really do either anymore
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Started martial arts in 2000 and never looked back... Karate, Bjj, and muay thai and started Capoeira in decemeber for flexibility and to help me move better on the mat for jiu jitsu... It was either that or yoga so I started working on my Armadas and queixada; got an unexpected stamina increase as well.
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    BJJ changed my life. No lie. I have no idea what gutter I'd be in right now if I never started training.

Just curious how long have you been doing it?What belt are you even though it does not matter lol.But yeah it´s a life changing activity.I can´t explain it to anyone that ? made me leave drugs alone.
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Options
    Like Water wrote: »
    Biggest influence on my life. Did TKD for 8 years and I'm a 2nd dan black belt there. 4 years in the USAF and trained in kickboxing/boxing and a year of BJJ. A few amateur fights under my belt. Just found a place to start kyokushin, so that's next. Been doing some form of martial arts since I was 10.

Love everything about it. The physical fitness, the discipline, the awareness. I train a few kids now, when I get some free time, and I love that aspect as well.

I recommend everyone learn some form of martial art if they get the chance.

Army dudes be on Martial Arts heavily by the way what is Kyokushin?
    gibor wrote: »
    I'm more so on the mystical side of things because of the teachers and training foundation Ive had in the past. I do traditional taiji, swordplay, and have recently found a teacher in my area for water boxing, and heart mind boxing so I'll be checking those out soon.

Whats water boxing bro?
  • Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The usual suspects...

Muay Thai
    Some BJJ/Greco
    MCMAP/LINE
    Boxing
    Some Krav Maga

I'm looking to take up Silat sometime soon if I can work it into my schedule.
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »
    Boxing. Loved it. Developed a great network of friends and associates. Learned some good discipline. Pushed my limitations. And had fun.

But traveling and work got in the way. I still do boxing training though when I can. Always wanted to do jiu jitsu as well. The idea of having anyone take me to the ground and choke the ? out of me didn't sit well with me. But never got around to it.

I just happened to come across this Gracie BJJ video the other day:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd1KDz1X7iE

Jiu Jitsu was made for samurais fight other samurais hand to hand and farmers fight samurais with weaponds.Since they used armour punches and kicks were not effective.So since samurais were the stongest warriors they had to develop a type of fighting system that the weak can beat the strong.So you use the persons force against them and also twist and lock etc.
    Sa_640x408.jpg
    traditional.jpg
    I fell for this move called ´´mão de vaca´´ twice.I have no clue whats in english but you can apply to your self see if it works.Pull your hand down quick and it will hurt.You can stop anyone with this single move.
    tumblr_nhkumrxqCD1qi3m6lo1_500.jpg
    fp.jpg
    And if you´re losing you should resort to BJJ like Anderson Silva did.
    622_c910e0e6-f5a4-38e7-894d-54cd399f12e1.jpg