Why are 90's rappers so much more deeper then those of today?

Options
Ear2DaSt
Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
Why does it seem like rappers of today are less talking from a perspective of experience then those of the 90's?

Comments

• Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They're aren't, it's just that most of them are now indie. Blame the labels
  •  i ro ny
    i ro ny Members Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ear2DaSt wrote: »
    Why does it seem like rappers of today are less talking from a perspective of experience then those of the 90's?

perspective of experience?

in the 90's, you couldnt just "be a rapper" who was talking a whole bunch of ? . your credentials had to be proven. there were "gatekeepers" to help ensure ? .

now, a lot of new rappers are speaking from a perspective of experience...whether its something they've witnessed or been involved with...or in some extreme cases, a few are claiming outright that they are rapping strictly for entertainment purposes.

the biggest difference now is that anybody "can rap" and make it available to the world with the click of a button and the general public doesnt really care about who writes what nor do they question the authenticity of the person speaking as long as the song is "hot".

• supergangster
    supergangster Members Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Therefore at 90 so poverty higher. Nowadays people are not as poor now all contributions and stuff. You get money when you're not working. Even I who am an orphan, it has good because I live on welfare
  •  i ro ny
    i ro ny Members Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Therefore at 90 so poverty higher. Nowadays people are not as poor now all contributions and stuff. You get money when you're not working. Even I who am an orphan, it has good because I live on welfare

dont mind my LOL reaction, fam.
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    it's like backs then rappers were geniuses
  • SheerExcellence
    SheerExcellence Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If you are an orphan who was putting you in the oven? Was this your biological, adopted father, or the guy in st. Louis?
    And what about your sister that had a party with fifteen dudes and no one else. Was she blood sister or adopted sister, If adopted, did you smash?

• just.might.b.ok
    just.might.b.ok Members Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well this thread wont make people mad, i'll tell you that.
    To answer the questions, rappers now say that back then you had to be dope to be respected and sell and now its "just do some catchy ? that bumps in the whip and say whatever ? thing you want" to make it big.
    Yet most of the dope rappers from the 90s are still active now and nobody is forcing nobody to check out whats hot on radio stations, i've never heard a complete lil fucky or yatchy or uzi song, i just listen to what i put on my phone.
  • SheerExcellence
    SheerExcellence Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Very easy
    1) way more rappers today than back then
    2) rap was fairly new mainstream wise so people had no blueprint to make money. There, ppl were just being creative and performing for the art of it.
    3) once big money started coming on, people eventually just started doing what would get the money, as is the case with most things in capitalist society

If being a garbageman paid 100x more than being a lawyer or a doctor, lawyers and doctors would quit and start picking up garbage tomorrow

Same as this, when posing and fronting like a gangster or drug dealer or whatever pays lots of money, ppl will start doing it.

• anduin
    anduin Members Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What the hell are you talking about?
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think the major corporations started looking for the stupidest person they could find regardless of talent.
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kids ain't experiencing ? like they used to....kids are hooked on the Internet and playing video games all damn day instead of living in the real world

Then another bunch of these kids is high as ? on bars and purple and not remembering ? anyway
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    anduin wrote: »

What the hell are you talking about?

? had too many doo doo grits this morning.
  • J-GUTTA
    J-GUTTA Members Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Knowledge of self was what was popular.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5th Percenters and Nation of Islam
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its coz hip hop has fallen under the same spell of laziness and fleetin' gratification that everything else has fallen under since the internet. These kids prefer interchangeable one hit wonders to actual good music.

And to you 'there's good rap out there guys'. Nah man radio defines the genre, unfortunately, so I don't see an issue with TS' question
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You know, I can remember in the early 80s when rap first came out the elders said it wasn't music and, when you listen to Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield, Aretha Franklin, James Brown, you can definitely see what they were talking about.

Now, we're the elders and we're saying the same thing that the elders were saying in the early 80s.

What goes around comes around.
  • BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kb da kidnappa trash bro
  • thisisrich_23
    thisisrich_23 Members Posts: 4
    Options
    There is a youtube channel that does debates on these types of things ya'll should check it outhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHaO21iujHU
  • thisisrich_23
    thisisrich_23 Members Posts: 4
    Options
    Let me know what yall think about this youtube channel thewave9283
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De1KFBoHG_I
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Very easy
    1) way more rappers today than back then
    2) rap was fairly new mainstream wise so people had no blueprint to make money. There, ppl were just being creative and performing for the art of it.
    3) once big money started coming on, people eventually just started doing what would get the money, as is the case with most things in capitalist society

If being a garbageman paid 100x more than being a lawyer or a doctor, lawyers and doctors would quit and start picking up garbage tomorrow

Same as this, when posing and fronting like a gangster or drug dealer or whatever pays lots of money, ppl will start doing it.

I was tryinta explain this to my girl earlier, not about rap, but jobs n careers in general. How People usually enter a particular field with good intentions. Then they realize there are opportunities to feed they families better and be better off n go for it. They might struggle with the new position n change but eventually it comes down to money n math
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rappers and athletes do it all the time. They come in n please a certain crowd or city and bow to always "keep it real" and never change. then the opportunity to make money that is too large to pass up comes in the picture n they make a "business decision". back in the early to mid 90's there wasn't a formula to imitate. Puffy, death row n russel gave ? the game plan n rap ain't been the same ever since.
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    These rappers aren't held to a standard.
  • twenty2
    twenty2 Members Posts: 255 ✭✭
    Options
    bck145 wrote: »
    Kids ain't experiencing ? like they used to....kids are hooked on the Internet and playing video games all damn day instead of living in the real world

Then another bunch of these kids is high as ? on bars and purple and not remembering ? anyway

This.

I was actually just thinkin about this this morning. Not only in terms of music, but in a general sense too.

Kids seem to be "maturing" a little later than they used to. Look at most of the "intellectual" rappers we have now and their ages range from like 27-early 30s. Whereas in the past, cats was droppin "jewels" at a much younger age...19, 20, etc.

I think what plays a huge part is, in the 90s you had a lot of kids "coming of age" a lot sooner due to absent parents, drug addicted parents, or whatnot. So it kinda forced them to get they ? together and fend for themselves early on. Now these kids are kinda afforded the luxury of 2-parent households or at least 2 people that co-parent sufficiently, or at the very least SOME people in their lives with a LITTLE bit of sense. So they can essentially "remain kids" a little longer. They have an entirely different set of experiences and it reflects in all parts of life and culture.

Now with THESE druggie ass fools that they've become it'll be interesting to see of the cycle repeats...
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    twenty2 wrote: »
    bck145 wrote: »

This.

I was actually just thinkin about this this morning. Not only in terms of music, but in a general sense too.

Kids seem to be "maturing" a little later than they used to. Look at most of the "intellectual" rappers we have now and their ages range from like 27-early 30s. Whereas in the past, cats was droppin "jewels" at a much younger age...19, 20, etc.

I think what plays a huge part is, in the 90s you had a lot of kids "coming of age" a lot sooner due to absent parents, drug addicted parents, or whatnot. So it kinda forced them to get they ? together and fend for themselves early on. Now these kids are kinda afforded the luxury of 2-parent households or at least 2 people that co-parent sufficiently, or at the very least SOME people in their lives with a LITTLE bit of sense. So they can essentially "remain kids" a little longer. They have an entirely different set of experiences and it reflects in all parts of life and culture.

Now with THESE druggie ass fools that they've become it'll be interesting to see of the cycle repeats...

And add the fact that a lot of these kids are coddled now and more spoiled. And if they only live with the mother, well the way they raise sons, there you go