Thank you, 9th Wonder: Illmatic Is 1 of 4 Hip-Hop Albums Being Preserved in Harvard’s Library......

Options
Mister B.
Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2017 in The Reason
Link

Five years ago, producer 9th Wonder was named a Harvard fellow, a position which has endowed him with the responsibility of preserving Hip-Hop music and culture within the Ivy League university’s cherished library. At the onset of his tenure, 9th began working on an initiative for the Dubois Institute at Harvard, under the tutelage of Henry Louis Gates and Dr. Macy Morgan and now, he has shared news likely to make any Hip-Hop Head proud: A Tribe Called Quest’s The Low End Theory, Kendrick Lamar’s To ? a Butterfly, Lauryn Hill’s The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, and Nas’ Illmatic will all be entering Harvard Library’s distinguished archives.

These four albums represent the first inductees into what 9th calls his “These Are the Breaks” archival project at Harvard University. “These are the first four we chose to start with to live for forever in the Harvard Library…and to be forever placed in the canon…complete with liner notes and the vinyl that was used in the production of the album,” 9th wrote in an Instagram post. In full, the archival project will include 200 albums, each of which he says “are the standard of the culture.”

The Low End Theory – which celebrated its 25th anniversary in 2016 – is indeed a seminal album that all Heads can agree should be preserved for future generations to study. The 1991 LP is perhaps the best introduction to Jazz-Hop there is, with bassist Ron Carter’s presence on the album (as well as elements of Jazz littering the entire LP) signifying the close relationship Hip-Hop and Jazz have with one another. For those looking to trace the development of Hip-Hop culture from the culture of its predecessors, songs like “Jazz (We’ve Got)” offer a definitive bridge between chapters in Black music.

Nas’ Illmatic – by and large considered to be one of the most prolific debut albums in music history – is a staple for any student of Rap music looking to understand lyricism and how storytelling capabilities separate an MC from a rapper. It was chosen by you, Ambrosia for Heads readers, as the greatest Hip-Hop album of all time, and will now have a permanent residence in the annals of history at one of the world’s most prestigious places of learning. Despite having been released in 1994, it didn’t reach platinum-selling status until 2011; some wonder how it could have taken so long, while others recognize the fact that, nearly 20 years later, Illmatic continues to be discovered by new fans.ith those two albums, 9th Wonder has ensured that early 1990s Hip-Hop is well represented in the first group of inductees. But with the remaining two, he secured a place for two other eras of Hip-Hop, and two of the most acclaimed albums of any genre, at that. 1998’s The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill was not only the solo debut of The Fugees’ female member, but it broke a record in first-week sales for a woman. The album’s massive success helped bring Hip-Hop (and to some degree, Neo-Soul) into mainstream acclaim, scoring a whopping ten nominations at the Grammys (and winning five, including Album of the Year). Similarly, Kendrick Lamar’s To ? a Butterfly is a Hip-Hop album that earned the attention of pop culture in general, nominated for Album of the Year and winning Best Rap Album. But perhaps most impressive about its inclusion in the inaugural class of albums heading to Harvard’s archives is the fact that it was released fewer than two years ago, signifying Hip-Hop’s continued influence and cementing Lamar as one of the most important artists in Hip-Hop’s multi-decade history.

While details around when 9th Wonder will announce the next group of albums to head to Harvard are still pending, his decision to make piecemeal announcements allows for Heads to wonder who’ll be next…For more information on the Hip-Hop archival project, Heads can follow @TheHipHopArchive on Instagram and visit its official website (http://hutchinscenter.fas.harvard.edu/hiphop-archive-research-institute)

Comments

• BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't wanna be the one to say it but...TPAB?

Probably just to have one that wasn't from the 90s. I know what you mean though...
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I know there's 196 more to go, but I would have picked The Score over Miseducation. And I would have picked GKMC over TPAB.
  • Midwest_Journalist
    Midwest_Journalist Members Posts: 321 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mister B. wrote: »
    Link

Five years ago, producer 9th Wonder was named a Harvard fellow, a position which has endowed him with the responsibility of preserving Hip-Hop music and culture within the Ivy League university’s cherished library. At the onset of his tenure, 9th began working on an initiative for the Dubois Institute at Harvard, under the tutelage of Henry Louis Gates and Dr. Macy Morgan and now, he has shared news likely to make any Hip-Hop Head proud: A Tribe Called Quest’s The Low End Theory, Kendrick Lamar’s To ? a Butterfly, Lauryn Hill’s The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, and Nas’ Illmatic will all be entering Harvard Library’s distinguished archives.

These four albums represent the first inductees into what 9th calls his “These Are the Breaks” archival project at Harvard University. “These are the first four we chose to start with to live for forever in the Harvard Library…and to be forever placed in the canon…complete with liner notes and the vinyl that was used in the production of the album,” 9th wrote in an Instagram post. In full, the archival project will include 200 albums, each of which he says “are the standard of the culture.”

The Low End Theory – which celebrated its 25th anniversary in 2016 – is indeed a seminal album that all Heads can agree should be preserved for future generations to study. The 1991 LP is perhaps the best introduction to Jazz-Hop there is, with bassist Ron Carter’s presence on the album (as well as elements of Jazz littering the entire LP) signifying the close relationship Hip-Hop and Jazz have with one another. For those looking to trace the development of Hip-Hop culture from the culture of its predecessors, songs like “Jazz (We’ve Got)” offer a definitive bridge between chapters in Black music.

Nas’ Illmatic – by and large considered to be one of the most prolific debut albums in music history – is a staple for any student of Rap music looking to understand lyricism and how storytelling capabilities separate an MC from a rapper. It was chosen by you, Ambrosia for Heads readers, as the greatest Hip-Hop album of all time, and will now have a permanent residence in the annals of history at one of the world’s most prestigious places of learning. Despite having been released in 1994, it didn’t reach platinum-selling status until 2011; some wonder how it could have taken so long, while others recognize the fact that, nearly 20 years later, Illmatic continues to be discovered by new fans.ith those two albums, 9th Wonder has ensured that early 1990s Hip-Hop is well represented in the first group of inductees. But with the remaining two, he secured a place for two other eras of Hip-Hop, and two of the most acclaimed albums of any genre, at that. 1998’s The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill was not only the solo debut of The Fugees’ female member, but it broke a record in first-week sales for a woman. The album’s massive success helped bring Hip-Hop (and to some degree, Neo-Soul) into mainstream acclaim, scoring a whopping ten nominations at the Grammys (and winning five, including Album of the Year). Similarly, Kendrick Lamar’s To ? a Butterfly is a Hip-Hop album that earned the attention of pop culture in general, nominated for Album of the Year and winning Best Rap Album. But perhaps most impressive about its inclusion in the inaugural class of albums heading to Harvard’s archives is the fact that it was released fewer than two years ago, signifying Hip-Hop’s continued influence and cementing Lamar as one of the most important artists in Hip-Hop’s multi-decade history.

While details around when 9th Wonder will announce the next group of albums to head to Harvard are still pending, his decision to make piecemeal announcements allows for Heads to wonder who’ll be next…For more information on the Hip-Hop archival project, Heads can follow @TheHipHopArchive on Instagram and visit its official website (http://hutchinscenter.fas.harvard.edu/hiphop-archive-research-institute)

Classic-dope album! Props to 9th Wonder for giving credit when it's due !!! I've been crucified on here for having Kendrick in my top 5 and for saying "TPAB" will go down in history as one of greatest albums.

YES ... it's OK to give G.O.A.T. status to someone born in the 1980s !!!!!
  • Midwest_Journalist
    Options
    Sion wrote: »

That album spoke to a generation and time in music about the plights of the young black male and touched on every single subject. It's so layered man I challenge you to find an album like it....

? need to stop letting "good beats" and "I don't have to skip one song" dictate what is deemed as powerful music or classic SMMFH. If that's the criteria throw ASAP Rocky on there SMMFH. Kendrick is more than deserving. TPAB was deeper than GKMC.

I agree. Everything doesn't have to be Turn up - Twerk - Strip Club - Off Key singing/mumbling -"I killed 100 dudes this week" music
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
  • EmM HoLLa.
    EmM HoLLa. Members Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't care what anyone says.. TPAB SHOULD not have been part of the first four. I wouldn't be mad if it's one of the 200 but to be part of the first four?..

There are plenty of albums that are more deserving that TPAB.. And that's a fact! Like someone mentioned earlier I rather GKMC before TPAB. I tried several time to get into TPAB.. It just doesn't connect with me the way GKMC did..
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Aquemini better be there. GOAT album.

• KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Cosign. Mans can gtfohwtbs.
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Aquemini better be there. GOAT album.

Shut up ? .
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TPAB makes more sense for this type of vibe 9th seems to be going for. It's more poetic and deep. GKMC was the better album, but it's Harvard and 9th probably wanted to go with the more artsy joint
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Honestly, if we're talking about the first 4 albums, I would have picked It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back. When that album came out there was nothing like it.
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No matw?
    7 day theory?
    Rtd?
    ? money?
    The diary?
    Death certificate?
    Grodt?
    Food n liquor?
    Forest hills drive?
    Awaken my love?
    Fishscale?
    Great adventures of slick rick?
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Honestly, if we're talking about the first 4 albums, I would have picked It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back. When that album came out there was nothing like it.

I am a little surprised it didn't make the initial cut...

All great albums tho...
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Theres one album way the ? outta place in here. Theres many other "socially conscious" albums that should be in there before that. Respect to 9th other than that.
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That album spoke to a generation
    and time in music about the plights of the young black male and touched on every single subject. It's so layered man I challenge you to find an album like it....

? need to stop letting "good beats" and "I don't have to skip one song" dictate what is deemed as powerful music or classic SMMFH. If that's the criteria throw ASAP Rocky on there SMMFH. Kendrick is more than deserving. TPAB was deeper than GKMC.

lmao - didn't that ? come out like last year?
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options

U not alone on this one fam
  • Stew
    Options

U not alone on this one fam

This ? never use reactions, he damn sure used one this time :joy:
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TPAB is a great album but its like a year old. There's no way you can't expect some furrowed brows about that ? when you skipping over so many other great albums
  • illedout
    illedout Members Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    9th picking albums that mean something or had an affect on the culture, not that flash in the pan ? ..

Seem like he's picking albums that you can play decades after it's release and it still sound good..
  • Midwest_Journalist
    Options

That album spoke to a generation and time in music about the plights of the young black male and touched on every single subject. It's so layered man I challenge you to find an album like it....

From the Harvard Project:
    Released in March 2015, To ? a Butterfly came toward the end of an all-too-brief lull in between two successive, and highly politicized waves of police and vigilante slayings of unarmed African Americans across the country, from Chicago to Cleveland, from Staten Island to Charleston. These ignoble surges of tragically dispatched life crested most spectacularly with the deaths of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri and Freddie Gray in Baltimore, Maryland – moments notoriously linked by the surge of protest and riot that followed in their wake. As the desiccated protest traditions of black politics surged back to life under the sign of “Black Lives Matter,” Lamar met the moment with an album whose “overwhelming blackness” – as Jezebel critic Clover Hope put it – presents “all the unfathomable complexity of a 500 – page book.”

I understand what you're saying. But I guess a lot of people can't comprehend if there's not a catchy hook or strip club beat attached.

“An artist's duty, as far as I'm concerned, is to reflect the times.” - Nina Simone

• achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How many are in the vault?...

tumblr_o1icbkf2Hr1qjl5rvo1_250.gif
  • Stew
    Options
    achewon87 wrote: »
    How many are in the vault?...

tumblr_o1icbkf2Hr1qjl5rvo1_250.gif

Havnt done TPAB yet, that'll be a fun thread.
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lmao at TPAB being one the albums..... Album is dope and all but c'mon now they could have waited a lil bit b4 rushing that album in there