Is it over for A$AP Mob as a collective?

Options
Beta
Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2017 in The Reason
Even though A$AP Mob formed as early as the mid to late 00s, they were launched into the forefront of the rap game with the rising status of A$AP rocky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob3ktDxAjWI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLCf-URqIf0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liZm1im2erU

Then the Collective Effort...

AAP_Mob_Lord_Never_Worry-front-large.jpg

Then we got introduced to A$AP Ferg as a solo act

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gXfaffdy6Q

(The Remix really helped propel him though)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXZxipry6kE

Then you get Trillmatic from A$AP Nast that was produced by A$ap TY beats and was originally supposed to be on their debut album but the album was scrapped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xda8NvdEfA

Then as the years go on, while Rocky and ferg release their sophomore efforts with tapes from ferg mixed in and then last year, Yams dies and the debut album from Asap Mob gets released but I feel like a lot of buzz that the collective had as a whole about 4 years ago is for the most part, gone.

asap-mob-cozy-tapes-vol-1-friends-1.jpg

I feel like back then, they coulda been a new age dipset as far as a movement in the east coast for today's generation but now I dont think as a whole they wont be as relevant as they once were.

Rocky is a star and ferg is eatin but as a whole I think its gone

Comments

• KamPushMe
    KamPushMe Members Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah their buzz has completely diminished smh. I remember around 2011 when rocky came on to the scene. I was a freshman HS, and this ? was buzzing like a mufuka. Then freg got put on like year later. Soon the whole mob was building momentum smh. Thought them ? was taking over lol. But honestly, ? went downhill when yams past way. Even though rocky had best commercial performance with ALLA that summer, ? was never going to be the same without the leader of the pack. Notice how since yams passed, ain't nothing has been popping around the mob. It's very unfortunate, but it is what it is.

• Beta
    Options
    The music didn't match the hype

You could say that, but at the same time you could see the potential for it to grow into something really. Early on atleast
  • RickyRich
    RickyRich Members Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    iswear ferg been working on album for the longest
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    It's like once yams died so did their buzz.

Ferg has dropped a couple things
    And Rocky just been diggin out once of Kim's sisters
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RickyRich wrote: »
    there wave and oddfuture is done basically

I think OF still has people doing it though. Earl is regarded as one of the best new lyricists. Tyler has a great mind for the music and the business. Frank Ocean is extremely talented and could drop a heralded piece of work at any time. Vince Staples puts out quality music at a decent clip. Domo Genesis is a super underrated rapper... If all those pieces decided to make a project together, the entire genre would take notice.

I can't say the same for ASAP though. They got Ferg and Rocky, and that's pretty much it. They lost their brainchild when Yams died.
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I really hate to say this but ? it im going to keep it 100. Rocky ? up big time when he said the ? about BLM. The ? he said about black women. Gettin jumped overseas. 2 subpar solo albums that didnt match up to his breakout mixtape. Ferg was on point with his first solo album and the ferg forever mixtape was dope. But his second LP was wack. As far as the rest of the group none of them could gain a good enough buzz to blow. I was really hoping that after the Lords Never Worry mixtape dropped that they wouldve followed up with an album but they scrapped it. Yams died. The A$AP Mob is finished. Like somebody said above they had the potential to be the new Dipset but failed to live up to the hype.
  • Beta
    Options
    Like Water wrote: »

I think OF still has people doing it though. Earl is regarded as one of the best new lyricists. Tyler has a great mind for the music and the business. Frank Ocean is extremely talented and could drop a heralded piece of work at any time. Vince Staples puts out quality music at a decent clip. Domo Genesis is a super underrated rapper... If all those pieces decided to make a project together, the entire genre would take notice.

I can't say the same for ASAP though. They got Ferg and Rocky, and that's pretty much it. They lost their brainchild when Yams died.

Earl left
    Staples was never Odd future
    casey veggies was but he left

Its really tyler, ocean, domo, and hodgy at this point

and those loiter squad ? but thats a thread for another day
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Beta wrote: »

Earl left

Didn't know Earl left. Interesting. And yeah, I know Vince was just an affiliate, but I always lump him in with OF because he broke out onto the music scene with them. I forgot about Veggies too. Damn. They had a squad fa real.
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Earl left

Hodgy not with them anymore.

Tyler, Syd, Domo is the only one left that claim the set.

Ocean is not really with them and Staples is the same.

ASAP group ? up by not being and staying consistent with the music. You can tell they just wilding and having fun right now, but yams was the one that pushed them and kept them focused
  • Beta
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    Hell no. Flacko's last 2 albums went gold SMMFH. Ferg had hits last year on the chart. Yall gotta give it time. J.Cole JUST got his hand in the cookie jar last year FINALLY going platinum, so did Big Sean with his first gold and platinum albums.

ASAP Mob is slowly building up to it and keep in mind they don't have a major label pushing them like that only Flacko does and the rest of the members are signed to him. With Yams dead I don't think Flacko has the business hand or the time to promote everyone, they have to put themselves on.

I said as a collective while you focusing on sales and chart status two members when there's at least 6

How much more time do you wanna give? It's coming up on 6-7 years since they emerged musically
  • KamPushMe
    KamPushMe Members Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hell no. Flacko's last 2 albums went gold SMMFH. Ferg had hits last year on the chart. Yall gotta give it time. J.Cole JUST got his hand in the cookie jar last year FINALLY going platinum, so did Big Sean with his first gold and platinum albums.

ASAP Mob is slowly building up to it and keep in mind they don't have a major label pushing them like that only Flacko does and the rest of the members are signed to him. With Yams dead I don't think Flacko has the business hand or the time to promote everyone, they have to put themselves on.

Long live asap went plat
  • SheerExcellence
    SheerExcellence Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I said as a collective while you focusing on sales and chart status two members when there's at least 6

How much more time do you wanna give? It's coming up on 6-7 years since they emerged musically

And it took 2chainz two decades
    There is always time, two hot singles can change anything in this business
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    silverfoxx wrote: »

Earl left

ASAP group ? up by not being and staying consistent with the music. You can tell they just wilding and having fun right now, but yams was the one that pushed them and kept them focused

Syd is gone too she left after one of them fools ? in a bag on stage and passed that ? around to the crowd. Ugh nasty muthafuckas. Plus she wasnt feelin their homophobic lyrics
  • BedStuy
    BedStuy Members Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    this video and song right here was some contrived 90's trash.
  • #jpp
    #jpp Members Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BedStuy wrote: »
    this video and song right here was some contrived 90's trash.

Beat was dope as ? but I didn't/don't like nast. ? was straight.
  • TayGettem
    TayGettem Members Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options

Earl left

Syd is gone too she left after one of them fools ? in a bag on stage and passed that ? around to the crowd. Ugh nasty muthafuckas. Plus she wasnt feelin their homophobic lyrics

Odd future was done from the start they made weird music for weird muthafuckas.
    I fck with Syd and Frank for the singing and Tyler cuz he is nice on the mic. But can't jam him or the rest of his squad cuz they just to out there. Can u imagine pulling up on some ? trying to talk to them and u got oddfuture playing with Tyler talkin bout eatin roaches and other odd ? . Them hoes gonna look at u crazy. Them odd future cats stay failing the whip test.

As for asap mob I fcks with that cozy tape heavy but the only cat I check for on a solo level is rocky
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
  • SheerExcellence
    SheerExcellence Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Earl left

this just ruined my morning
  • JonnyRoccIT
    JonnyRoccIT Members Posts: 14,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah...only Rocky and Ferg really popped out the whole group.

Rocky another one of those rappers that kinda left his Original sound and went into some other ? . His falling out w/ SpaceGhostPurrp helped contribute to him leaving that sound.
  • JonnyRoccIT
    JonnyRoccIT Members Posts: 14,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Odd Future had an Amazing and Refreshing sound to me...as "Odd" as it was, it was definitely Needed in Music.

I made a thread a While back saying that was the last Great Era in Hip Hop and ? told me i was Crazy...we wouldn't have to kake threads like this if i was Wrong
  • Beta
    Options
    Odd Future had an Amazing and Refreshing sound to me...as "Odd" as it was, it was definitely Needed in Music.

I made a thread a While back saying that was the last Great Era in Hip Hop and ? told me i was Crazy...we wouldn't have to kake threads like this if i was Wrong

Chill chill odd future the next thread lol

Let's keep it asap for now

Idk but to me they coulda been the dipset for the era of kids coming up today.

They just didn't handle it the way they could have though imo

Like the possibility of ASAP running NY radio..

But rocky from the jump wasn't just trying to do music and I'm not knocking him but i feel like he stretches himself so thin as far as interests that something like creating a full on movement is less important