Had an interesting conversation about "relating" to rappers. Is my perspective weird?

Options
R2_163
R2_163 Members Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
Talking to one of my homeboys about hip hop. he listens to rappers like cole kendrick and childish gambino and etzhi because he relates to their music. I've seen people say this about rappers like like Eminem hopsin and chance kanye. etc

For me. a rapper being relatable has no impact in me liking their music or not. If anything the more unrelatable the better
For example. Ghostface or Raekwon are two of my favorite rappers ever. But i never in my life will relate to them to that extent. I just think they're entertaining lyricist and the production is usually dope. Aside from me growing up in the hood, i never participated in that life style at all...Most people didn't. It's always suspect when ? "i ? with lox cause i relate to that ? .." smh

What ya'll think? does a rapper being relatable weigh in on their quality of music?

Comments

• Aztec_Kang
    Aztec_Kang Members Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can't listen to certain artists too much because their music is depressing. Like for example I can't listen to live wire too much because after a while it's just depressing. I do think j Stalin is dope though. I myself have never drank lean. So I can't relate to artists that hella talk about lean.

It depends on what mood you're in though in my opinion.
  • KnowReasonForPeace
    KnowReasonForPeace Members Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Makes perect sense. Relating more to artist that share the same mindset(or atleast what they portray in their music) makes me look down upon a certain sound or style which i try not to do. But when the music you enjoy is way better than what you dont listen to, sometimes critiquing other music comes off as hating. I personally dont engage in hip hop conversations with people who limit their taste to one style or sub genre. That ? is a migraine waiting to happen.
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Aztec_Kang wrote: »
    Like for example I can't listen to live wire too much because after a while it's just depressing.

Here's something to take away that depression

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y_DNPU2jfE

• leftcoastkev
    Options
    R2_163 wrote: »
    Talking to one of my homeboys about hip hop. he listens to rappers like cole kendrick and childish gambino and etzhi because he relates to their music. I've seen people say this about rappers like like Eminem hopsin and chance kanye. etc

For me. a rapper being relatable has no impact in me liking their music or not. If anything the more unrelatable the better
    For example. Ghostface or Raekwon are two of my favorite rappers ever. But i never in my life will relate to them to that extent. I just think they're entertaining lyricist and the production is usually dope. Aside from me growing up in the hood, i never participated in that life style at all...Most people didn't. It's always suspect when ? "i ? with lox cause i relate to that ? .." smh

What ya'll think? does a rapper being relatable weigh in on their quality of music?

Being relatable factors heavily into whether I keep some bodies music in rotation, yes.

Being relatable doesn't factor into the quality of the music.

For example Rick Ross can rap and his production is nice but the ? sounds so fake I could never get into his music. It's like listening to a lying ass ? talk to you.....and u sit there listening like tell me more.

On the flip it's a lot of artists that aren't even that great on the mic but their relatabilty makes them dope to me. For instance J Stalin like the previous poster said. I ? his his music heavily because I relate to it. J Stalin come off like a ? that hustles so hard and throws himself out there.... you just wanna see the ? win.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    I listen to rappers to hear dope music and for it to be delivered with a certain level of lyrical quality. Relating to rappers is not a requirement for me but it's a bonus.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just wanna enjoy the song, being Lyrical is a bonus, being relatable is another bonus
  • RickyRich
    RickyRich Members Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    R2_163 wrote: »

Being relatable factors heavily into whether I keep some bodies music in rotation, yes.

Being relatable doesn't factor into the quality of the music.

For example Rick Ross can rap and his production is nice but the ? sounds so fake I could never get into his music. It's like listening to a lying ass ? talk to you.....and u sit there listening like tell me more.

On the flip it's a lot of artists that aren't even that great on the mic but their relatabilty makes them dope to me. For instance J Stalin like the previous poster said. I ? his his music heavily because I relate to it. J Stalin come off like a ? that hustles so hard and throws himself out there.... you just wanna see the ? win.

Dont let gee hear u speak bad about his dad
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I love being able to relate to the music but it's not an requirement. I named my self after the only built 4 Cuban linx album and I never even sold aspirin. But I do have to feel your music and the story your telling
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Relating to music is irrelevant to me as I don't relate to 99% of rappers outside having melanin in my skin. I always find it funny when ppl use relatability to why don't they don't listen to such n such artist.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stew wrote: »
    Relating to music is irrelevant to me as I don't relate to 99% of rappers outside having melanin in my skin. I always find it funny when ppl use relatability to why don't they don't listen to such n such artist.

This. And being a lover of music what grabs more ear is the melody and the flow.
  • AggieLean.
    AggieLean. Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Me being able to relate to a rapper is a factor, but at the end of the day, if you make music that I enjoy and tell a good story, I'll probably listen to you. The artists that I do relate to, though, are my favorite rappers (I.E. Krit & ? C)
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It depends on my mood and where I am in life.

When I was in high school I liked the Native Tounges because, compared to groups like NWA or Big Daddy Kane, I felt like I could relate to the Native Tounges better. I didn't wear a lot of gold jewelry and I didn't do drive-bys.

But I can't lie, when Biggie, Ma$e and Puffy were poppin in 1997 I was in love with their style and production. I wished I was living that lavish life (i.e. driving nice cars and sipping champagne).
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stew wrote: »

This. If it's dope it's dope, if not on to the next one.

• StreetRap
    StreetRap Members Posts: 416
    Options
    you can relate on somethings but like others says you might not done half of what these rappers do
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My pet peeve is these ultra-gangsta rappers who wave guns in their videos and rap about shooting people and selling drugs. Just when they're career is starting to pick up they get caught with drugs, guns and get accused of shooting somebody and then they go to jail for a long time. In cases like that I think its art imitating life and not the other way around.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    I can relate to Ghostface. I also ? ? on the reg with no problemo
  • leftcoastkev
    edited February 2017
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    My pet peeve is these ultra-gangsta rappers who wave guns in their videos and rap about shooting people and selling drugs. Just when they're career is starting to pick up they get caught with drugs, guns and get accused of shooting somebody and then they go to jail for a long time. In cases like that I think its art imitating life and not the other way around.

That sounds like every real deal local gangster rapper in hoods across the states...

Case in point (below). They had a MAJOR buzz but got caught up just when taking off. One of Freddie Gibbs major influences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBBV0h8aGYo
    "You ain't affiliated, if you ain't been down since day one
    Better stay yo ass at home, and be yo mama's son"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpVvOq00128
  • StreetRap
    StreetRap Members Posts: 416
    Options
    Don't question yourself among wolves tho