Reason Interview: atribecalledgabi

Options
5th Letter
5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
5th Letter- Where are you from?

atribecalledgabi- This poppin lil retirement town called Vacaville, California. It's right between Sacramento and San Francisco

5th Letter- What's it like there?

atribecalledgabi- It's cool. Kind of a mixed bag...like it's a real family oriented place so it's a good place to live if you're an adult looking for somewhere quiet...good place to raise a family in. Not a lot of diversity...mainly whites and Mexicans but you have pockets of other cultures mixed in there. If you want more excitement, you're only about an hr from the bay area and sac in the other direction.

5th Letter- How was your childhood like?

atribecalledgabi- It was nice. Raised by my mom but also had a relationship with my dad and his side of the family. I played sports and did music and never went without. I was your typical spoiled kid. I grew up an only child then found out I had half siblings around middle school-ish. We're not as close as I would like but we getting there.

5th Letter- How did you find out about your siblings?

atribecalledgabi- They kinda trickled in over time lol. I guess my dad told my mom then she relayed the message. I found out about my brother in like 6th grade...then my sister about a year after that. Then 3 years ago I was at the airport meeting my dad to go our family reunion and this little girl was with him and he was like "this is your sister"...I was like ummmm....ok?

5th Letter- If you don't mind answering what do you do for a living?

atribecalledgabi- Sorter and loader at UPS

5th Letter- How did you get into hip hop?

atribecalledgabi- Music was always playing in my house. Moms would be cleaning and stuff with the radio on. And I was an only child so I watched a lot of tv. The black shows in the 90s were heavily hip hop and r&b influenced. So I was more into the "culture" of it than the music at first...I didn't grow up around too many black ppl except my family, so radio and TV/movies were my ways of establishing identity so to speak. My mom wasn't a big rap music person (she was more into jazz and r&b) so she never went outa her way to expose me to it. So all while growing up, if you weren't on mainstream radio I didn't know who you were. It wasn't until later...like around hs where I actually started seeking out different sounds and genres and learning about a bunch of artists I'd never heard before.

5th Letter- What were earliest memories of hip hop?

atribecalledgabi- Radio and watching music videos. Luckily, music and radio in general were better and had more of a balance in the 90s/early 2000s. But I remember I would tape special dj mixes that would run on weekends and bring em to school sometimes and bump em during recess. And my favorite songs I would print lyrics out and memorize em. I had a godsister that was in hs when I was in elementary school that would babysit me and she recorded rap city the basement everyday cuz she was doing sports while it was on. I would steal em and watch em on the regular.

5th Letter- Who are your favorite and least favorite rappers?

atribecalledgabi- My top 5 is: Jay, Ghostface, Tupac, Rakim, Kendrick

After that it's Cole, Joey badass, pusha t, chance, action bronson, the rest of TDE, rapsody, post prison guwop, anderson paak (if he counts)... I'm late to a lot of rap nowadays, but I've been getting into rejjie snow, oddisee, nick grant, and noname gypsy. Who don't I like...any of these new ? that don't have bass in their voice I guess...I'm sure you can deduce a couple names from that lol

5th Letter- What are your favorite albums?

atribecalledgabi- Word of mouf was the first explicit album I've ever owned so that holds a special place in my heart. I don't wana name "usual suspects" albums, so some of my 'other' faves are:
Mecca and Soul Brother, Like Water for Chocolate, Madvillainy, Station Identification, Supa Dupa Fly, Shades of Blue (Madlib), Labcabincalifornia, ? Raps (Andre Nickatina), Acid Rap, King Remembered In Time, & Friday Night Lights

5th Letter- What are your thoughts on today's hip hop?

atribecalledgabi- A lot of it is social media/popularity driven...and it's soooo many ? rappers out ? . with that said, there's a lot of good out there. Don't like that I have to look so hard for it. I'm fine with it overall tho. I'm 25 so there will be a disconnect in what ppl younger than me will gravitate toward and I don't have to like that ? . But im pretty pleased with the artists of my generation that I listen to consistently.

5th Letter- How did you get into battle rap?

atribecalledgabi- Freestyle Fridays on 106&park. When I started getting on the internet and youtube I saw some familiar faces (Lux, hollow, ars) and started with watching them. Then it grew from there.

5th Letter- Who are your favorite battle rappers?

atribecalledgabi- I fell off watching battles the last year or 2 actually. But from what I can last remember lol....
My top 5 was. Lux, Hollow, Clips, Pat stay, T top

My female top 5 is E hart, Hustle, Jaz, Official, Couture

Comments

• 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Goat..

not enough info...

but Goat nonetheless.

Gabi is cool people.

just navigating all the fukk ? an not getting caught up in it, while holding her own.

• Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I like gabi's musical taste it's not one dimensional

Best thing about gabi is on display in LCA though
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont even know who this is!!

I must of said keak da sneak sucks or some feminist ?
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Big ups...

Dope interview, dope poster, like the s/n...

Fashawn - Letter F
    https://youtu.be/DmcNkGytYuY
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The last line in the interview gets you a million goats.
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Gabi cool. Didnt know she got a mod promotion? Thats whats up.

I always thought LCA was @fortyacres section for some reason
  • AggieLean.
    AggieLean. Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She a fellow Pisces...she good people. Cool interview
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cool interview. She be Going at ? necks in the game of thrones thread lmao
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Another great interview. Cool poster, I love the homage to the greats tribe called quest in the screenname

RIP phife diggy
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dope interview, great to see females with GOAT hip hop tastes...
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    Gabi is dope and funny poster.

Great music taste too. Dope interview
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dope interview, one of the best S/N but I wanna know what Max and MasterJay did
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Gabi's dope. That's all I have to say.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gabi for MOD! 2020

oh wait

GABI for presiden! 2020
  • yellowtapesport
    yellowtapesport Members Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »

5th Letter- Who are your favorite and least favorite posters?

atribecalledgabi- This list will be long so apologies in advance

Posters I ? with: 5th letter ( ), Goldie, Dub, KingGivBiz, Elzo, The Recipe, Bride, gns, lookdude, geechie slim, Busta Carmichael, water ur seeds, MrCrookedLetter, Cain, BOSSExcellence, Mastery, Sion, BlackSamson, Pico, Young Chitlin, HundredEyes, TheGOAT, Huey, Beta, Like Water, Vader, 2stepzahead, Kai, Miss Jones, blackrain, Paprika, D. Morgan, AP21, marc123, lazypakman, Lou Cypher, Copper, PaperPlaneJane, obnoxiouslyfresh, ripdilla, Inglewood_B, charles2, Tonydubbz, fortyacres, Kat, CashmoneyDux...

Thought I did this back when I first read your interview.

Thanks for the love and shout out!!
    giphy.gif
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pisces/Targ Gang STAND THE ? UP!!!!
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She dropped a Krit tape as one of her top 5 tho

And shes single

? aint ?
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @atribecalledgabi you still in Vacaville? My little brother lives out there. Spent 2 summers in my teens there.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Dope interview, one of the best S/N but I wanna know what Max and MasterJay did

Nothing they just make empty posts 90% of the time. If you ain't funny or kickin knowledge (ideally both) then why are you here
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    @atribecalledgabi you still in Vacaville? My little brother lives out there. Spent 2 summers in my teens there.

Yessir