Is Hip Hop The Only Genre Where The Artists Get Shot At, Go To Jail and Get Killed?

Options
5 Grand
5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
This is inspired by Young Dolph getting shot at 100 times.

Truthfully I don't really keep up with other genres like metal or country but I'm wondering; Do country or heavy metal artists get shot, shot at or go to prison and come back and resume their careers?

Have any recent pop artists, country, dance, latin, bluegrass, classical, opera or whatever other kinds of music out there had any major run ins with the law?

Can you name any artists BESIDES RAP ARTISTS that had a solid career and then got arrested with some guns or some other felony conviction and went to prison and came back and resumed their careers?

Can you name any rock stars or pop stars that got shot in recent memory?

I'm wondering if this type of behavior is exclusive to Hip Hop or if there's some media spin to make it appear that way.

Also, guns are a second amendment right. But brothers in the ghetto scratch the serial numbers off, which is illegal. If they'd just go to the gun store like they're supposed to they could buy a gun legally. They wouldn't have a license to carry but the gun itself would be legal. Seems like hillbilly country folk understand that better than the boys in the hood. Or maybe country music is more likely to come from states with open carry laws.

In any case I can't think of any rock or country (read: white) artists getting shot, shot at, going to prison or getting murdered in the street.

Is Hip Hop really that violent or is it some sort of media spin?

Comments

• Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bob Marley was shot
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Options
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Options
    So was John Lennon
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Options
    Don't forget Marvin Gaye
  • Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^^historical examples but what about in the last calendar year?
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Or last 5 years?
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Clearly has the highest rate
  • d1al_t0ne
    d1al_t0ne Members Posts: 270 ✭✭
    Options
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I heard country concerts are pretty lit and savage
  • 5 Grand
    Options

Good point.

Bob Marley was shot in 1976

John Lennon was 1980

Marvin Gaye was 1984

Selena was 1995

Dimebag Darrell was 2004

But lets look at Hip Hop shootings

Scott LaRock - 1987

Bushwick Bill - 1991

2Pac - 1994/96 (also the shootout with the cops in Atlanta)

ODB - 1994/1998

Biggie - 1997

Big L - 1999

Freaky Tah - 1999

50 Cent - 2000

Jam Master Jay - 2002

Camron - 2005

Beanie Sigel - 2006

Proof - 2006

Waka Floka Flame - 2010

http://www.complex.com/music/2013/01/a-history-of-rappers-getting-shot-and-surviving/

I got the info from the above link but it was written in 2013. Also, I know there's more, like didn't T.I. get shot at with machine gun fire in Ohio?

And Bobby Shmurda, I'm not sure if he got shot or did the shooting (too lazy to check)

And Beanie Sigel got shot again recently.

I guess the ones that stand out are 2Pac, Biggie and Jam Master Jay because they were household names and were shot and killed.

Here's a wikipedia list of lesser known rappers that got shot and killed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_murdered_hip_hop_musicians

I guess the question remains, do lesser known rock artists get shot and killed? Are there rock websites that have message boards where people discuss lesser known rock artists that get shot, killed and go in and out of jail?
  • TayGettem
    TayGettem Members Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @Elzo69Renaissance all those u named are some tragic event ? . Those weren't violent people. Rappers outche endorsing violence and reapin what's sown . Some of this cats really died over what they said on wax
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "The message will always be ignorance"
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Stew wrote: »
    Rap music promotes violence so why not.

Thats the problem

Its really time for cats like Puffy, Jay Z, Dre, Cube, and whoever else (like Will Smith and Queen Latifah) to pool their resources together and create a label/streaming service/movement to send a positive message to say that shooting people and going to prison isn't cool.

I know some of those guys made their fortune via gangsta rap, but they obviously weren't the ones doing the dirt.

The younger generation needs wisdom and guidance, not homemade videos of people waving guns and knots of fake money.

Seriously, the youth is starving. We need to hear from the elders that really made it out of the ghetto, not from rappers that just got out of prison or rappers who are on their 10th album and can't figure out how to make money in Hip Hop who still ? for the (jewish)whiteman and rap about selling drugs.

• Huey_C
    Huey_C Members Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bob Marley was shot
    So was Selena
    So was John Lennon

Horrible examples
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dancehall, but as far as American music yes
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

Thats the problem

Its really time for cats like Puffy, Jay Z, Dre, Cube, and whoever else (like Will Smith and Queen Latifah) to pool their resources together and create a label/streaming service/movement to send a positive message to say that shooting people and going to prison isn't cool.

I know some of those guys made their fortune via gangsta rap, but they obviously weren't the ones doing the dirt.

The younger generation needs wisdom and guidance, not homemade videos of people waving guns and knots of fake money.

Seriously, the youth is starving. We need to hear from the elders that really made it out of the ghetto, not from rappers that just got out of prison or rappers who are on their 10th album and can't figure out how to make money in Hip Hop who still ? for the (jewish)whiteman and rap about selling drugs.

Shouldn't take them to form volton for that to be understood. Imo but in my eyes yeah hip-hop the only ones making headlines about dumb ? .
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Thats everyday life worldwide.People get killed everyday that arent musicians. Ever think maybe the environment we live in is to blame?
  • twentyfivelighters
    twentyfivelighters Members Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thats the problem

Classic naive 5 grand post
  • Rampage12
    Rampage12 Members Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Christina Grimmie...shot and killed after a show last June I believe.
  • Rampage12
    Rampage12 Members Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Good point.

Bob Marley was shot in 1976

John Lennon was 1980

Marvin Gaye was 1984

Selena was 1995

Dimebag Darrell was 2004

But lets look at Hip Hop shootings

Scott LaRock - 1987

Bushwick Bill - 1991

2Pac - 1994/96 (also the shootout with the cops in Atlanta)

ODB - 1994/1998

Biggie - 1997

Big L - 1999

Freaky Tah - 1999

50 Cent - 2000

Jam Master Jay - 2002

Camron - 2005

Beanie Sigel - 2006

Proof - 2006

Waka Floka Flame - 2010

http://www.complex.com/music/2013/01/a-history-of-rappers-getting-shot-and-surviving/

I got the info from the above link but it was written in 2013. Also, I know there's more, like didn't T.I. get shot at with machine gun fire in Ohio?

And Bobby Shmurda, I'm not sure if he got shot or did the shooting (too lazy to check)

And Beanie Sigel got shot again recently.

I guess the ones that stand out are 2Pac, Biggie and Jam Master Jay because they were household names and were shot and killed.

Here's a wikipedia list of lesser known rappers that got shot and killed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_murdered_hip_hop_musicians

I guess the question remains, do lesser known rock artists get shot and killed? Are there rock websites that have message boards where people discuss lesser known rock artists that get shot, killed and go in and out of jail?

Bushwick Bill shot himself in a suicide attempt so if you're going to count him you have to count people like Kurt Cobain.