The Lonious Monk is running for Devils Advocate 2020

U got my vote :+1:

at least it ain't me this time....but he does have a point
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    Regardless if she stole $3 of ? or a hundred dollars worth of anything he beat her down brutally. She was out of his store and should have let the police handle it, but he has animosity towards black folks and beat her down ruthlessly.

Race matters because people die, gentrified, moved away from, property taxes, a lack of loans regardless if they have good credit, because racism still exists through all the races.

Oh, so you know him personally and he's expressed this to you? Got it.

Seems to me like he has animosity towards thieves, which I 100% understand.

Nah, don't need to know a racist personally to know their eyes. Can't prove it on a court of law and I'm not going to do a scientific study or investigation to see if the man has racist viewpoints about black folks. But I look at actions and it's not clear if she is a thief or not.

She was confronted because he believed he saw her steal from his store.

You can't see his eyes in the video so dead that ? right there.

What you looked at was a business owner confronting a customer he believed he saw stealing. You can try to add other ? to it if you want but without proof of racism in play you're simply lying. All we have to go on is the dude thought he saw her stealing and he confronted her and assaulted her because of it. If anything needs to happen legally he needs to be charged initially for assault and battery because I can't think of a single jurisdiction where putting someone in a choke hold to detain them is legal. Second, he could possibly be charged with some form of detainment/kidnapping charge for holding her against her will but I'd need to take a look at NC's statutes regarding it. Third, if the video he turned over to the cops shows her stealing, then she needs to be brought up on petty theft/shoplifting charges or what ever is applicable in that jurisdiction.

Finally, if it's found that he's guilty of assault and battery and anything else, she needs to file a civil suit against him and take him for everything he's got.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Regardless if she stole $3 of ? or a hundred dollars worth of anything he beat her down brutally. She was out of his store and should have let the police handle it, but he has animosity towards black folks and beat her down ruthlessly.

Race matters because people die, gentrified, moved away from, property taxes, a lack of loans regardless if they have good credit, because racism still exists through all the races.

Oh, so you know him personally and he's expressed this to you? Got it.

Seems to me like he has animosity towards thieves, which I 100% understand.

Nah, don't need to know a racist personally to know their eyes. Can't prove it on a court of law and I'm not going to do a scientific study or investigation to see if the man has racist viewpoints about black folks. But I look at actions and it's not clear if she is a thief or not.

She was confronted because he believed he saw her steal from his store.

You can't see his eyes in the video so dead that ? right there.

What you looked at was a business owner confronting a customer he believed he saw stealing. You can try to add other ? to it if you want but without proof of racism in play you're simply lying. All we have to go on is the dude thought he saw her stealing and he confronted her and assaulted her because of it. If anything needs to happen legally he needs to be charged initially for assault and battery because I can't think of a single jurisdiction where putting someone in a choke hold to detain them is legal. Second, he could possibly be charged with some form of detainment/kidnapping charge for holding her against her will but I'd need to take a look at NC's statutes regarding it. Third, if the video he turned over to the cops shows her stealing, then she needs to be brought up on petty theft/shoplifting charges or what ever is applicable in that jurisdiction.

Finally, if it's found that he's guilty of assault and battery and anything else, she needs to file a civil suit against him and take him for everything he's got.

As I said it wouldn't hold in a court of law, it's intuition. Nah, mean?
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I hate when people protest ? like this. It's probably wrong, but is a shopowner wrestling with someone who tried to steal from him worth this kinda response?

Sometimes it seems like some of these protesters believe criminals deserve to pick their own reaction to the crimes they commit. And let's be real, if that was a black owned business, they would not be protesting this.

what????

not as if it matters, but the store owner has handed over no proof that the woman was shop lifting

so let's not concede just yet, that she was....if i'm wrong correct me

and having walked into many of asian run beauty supply stores, i can tell you a lot of the clerks are often rude ....and some treat you like criminals soon as you walk in for no reason....could it be that i am blk, maybe...wouldn't be surprised if he jumped the gun

that said, whether of not this man is racist, he handled the situation very poorly... dude literally kicked her and than wrestled her to the ground after this woman even offered to let him check her bag

regardless of the race he was i'd take issue with it

so if the community wants to rally behind this woman, good. the store could have a history of mistreating their customers for all we know

its crazy to me anyone would try to justify the actions of this man or mock a protest

Look, I'll be honest. I don't care about thieves getting roughed up, and that's coming from someone who used to steal. If I got caught and got roughed up, I deserved it.

If the dude was wrong and she didn't steal, he deserves to be punished. If he was right and she did steal, but he broke the law, he deserves to be punished. I have no objections there.

My problem is with the bold. Do the people protesting know of a history of racism or a history of mistreating customer that legitimately didn't do anything? If not, why are they bringing race into it? Why are they treating this incident as an attack on the community. Why are they protesting a store halfway across the country that may have minimal influence on the store where the incident occurred. I know people nowadays think everything needs to be protested, but there is a such thing as oversaturation. If you have the same reaction to everything, then sooner or later people become desensitized to that reaction. How long do you think it will be before no one cares about protests anymore?

So you're promoting some vigilante ? ?
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    R0mp wrote: »
    Arabs and Asians stay setting up shop in black populated areas.

But don't want us in them ain't that a ? ?
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »

Devil's advocate ? ain't even necessary here.

What sensible person would advocate store owners being able to choke out or otherwise assault "suspected" shoplifters ? Especially in a discussion about this incident where the evidence doesn't even support them being right about her committing a crime.

2nd big question is - What Black person, in 2017, isn't aware of racism against Black people in Asian stores ?
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    7figz wrote: »

So you're promoting some vigilante ? ?

Nope, I clearly said he deserved to be punished in the very post you quoted.
    7figz wrote: »
    Trillfate wrote: »

Devil's advocate ? ain't even necessary here.

What sensible person would advocate store owners being able to choke out or otherwise assault "suspected" shoplifters ? Especially in a discussion about this incident where the evidence doesn't even support them being right about her committing a crime.

2nd big question is - What Black person, in 2017, isn't aware of racism against Black people in Asian stores ?

1) I don't know what person would do that. I didn't. If I did please quote the actual statement where I said it was ok that he did what he did.

2) Where did I say Asians weren't racist? Me saying that you can't automatically pin that label on this man over this incident doesn't mean that I believe Asians don't have a tendency to be racist. It just means I'm not an advocate of accusing one person of something based solely on generalizations of the group. That ? is stupid when every other race does it to us, but apparently ya'll think it's cool when we do it to others.
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol @ people arguing on the chinks behalf
    Smmfh ? mayne
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? always gotta announce some ? smh. Man, just organize and take a ? by surprise with action and ? their head up because they couldn't see it coming.
  • konceptjones
    Options
    gns wrote: »
    Lol @ people arguing on the chinks behalf
    Smmfh ? mayne

wheredeydoindatat?
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    Was it ever proven she was shoplifting?

Also if she was, he couldve easily taken back what she stole esp if he strong enough to body slam her and hold her and kick her

@The Lonious Monk

True. I said he was probably wrong whether she stole or not and should be held accountable. However, him mistreating someone he believes was stealing from him isn't automatically racism just because the victim was black. Again, I seen Asian people stomp the ? out of other Asian people for the same ? . I seen old black store owners slap the ? out of black girls for stealing. Guess what, regardless of race, store owners generally don't like people stealing from them.

Okay cool....but do you think if they are in a majority white neighborhood he would have the same reaction to a white woman suspected of stealing?
  • konceptjones
    Options

Also if she was, he couldve easily taken back what she stole esp if he strong enough to body slam her and hold her and kick her

@The Lonious Monk

True. I said he was probably wrong whether she stole or not and should be held accountable. However, him mistreating someone he believes was stealing from him isn't automatically racism just because the victim was black. Again, I seen Asian people stomp the ? out of other Asian people for the same ? . I seen old black store owners slap the ? out of black girls for stealing. Guess what, regardless of race, store owners generally don't like people stealing from them.

Okay cool....but do you think if they are in a majority white neighborhood he would have the same reaction to a white woman suspected of stealing?

Most likely yes. Whether or not y'all want to believe it, most Asian folks can't stand whitey. They do what they gotta do to get money, even if it means kissin whitey's ass, but they ain't too cool with them white muhfuckas like y'all wanna believe.

Gotta remember, honkies ravaged SE Asia for the longest and the only two nuclear bombs ever dropped on civilians happened at the hands of a ? against the Japanese. White folks used Korea as a front to fight without actually fighting directly (the US and USSR) and in the process Koreans were killed wholesale. Vietnamese were slaughtered by the US in a war we had no business entering into in the first place and white folks have simply been meddling in the affairs of SE Asia for the longest to their own advantage.

Nah b, they don't like white folks like that.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@The Lonious Monk

I honestly don't know and nobody else does either. That's really my only point with regards to him. In the South, probably not. Out West, where the Asian community has a stronger presence and they feel a little bolder, maybe.