Live like no one else: The Dave Ramsey Show appreciation thread

Options

Comments

• grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A lot of this ? dude is saying is common sense & goes without saying... but these days common sense ain't common so I commend this.
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY Members, Writer Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Sion can you bookmark the gospel please?
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Young_Chitlin
    Options
    Nearly a quarter of adult Americans have zero savings to pay for emergency situations including a layoff or major medical bills, new research has revealed.

Bankrate’s newly released June Financial Security Index survey indicates that 24 per cent of Americans have not saved any money at all for their emergency funds.

This is despite experts recommending that people strive for a savings cushion equivalent to the amount needed to cover three to six months' worth of expenses.

http://www.bankrate.com/banking/savings/financial-security-0617/
  • Young_Chitlin
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Now I get why people detest budgeting.. just now was my 15-16th budget revision and I will likely change it again. I still have my goal of being under $10,000 in car debt by 2018. I can be debt-free by September 2018 that's my goal
  • Young_Chitlin
    Options
    Nearly a quarter of adult Americans have zero savings to pay for emergency situations including a layoff or major medical bills, new research has revealed.

Bankrate’s newly released June Financial Security Index survey indicates that 24 per cent of Americans have not saved any money at all for their emergency funds.

This is despite experts recommending that people strive for a savings cushion equivalent to the amount needed to cover three to six months' worth of expenses.

http://www.bankrate.com/banking/savings/financial-security-0617/

I still have a slight mentality of Thank ? It's Friday to oh ? it's Monday. I don't buy frivolous things but I do pay for things such as an oil change getting my front brakes fixed my AC flushed, minor things but the expenses still add up.
  • Young_Chitlin
    Options
  • Young_Chitlin
    Options
  • MallyG
    MallyG Members Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    NCswag wrote: »
    A lot of the ? hea talking is common sense

"Common sense (is not that/ain't too) common"

Edit..
    grYmes wrote: »
    A lot of this ? dude is saying is common sense & goes without saying... but these days common sense ain't common so I commend this.

Didn't see this til after I posted but yeah.... People on a general scale aren't the brightest, just look @ who the president is and who put him there.
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY Members, Writer Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Soooo somebody told me that i was reckless for byuing wahtever stock errday.
    He assumes that im risking to lose my money and etc. Here is how i answered :

- you spend on smoking. The money is sure gone and nothing worthy but illness you got in return,
    - you buy phone for hundreds of dollars. The money is gone and you wont get back the same value if you sell it back,

Ok im risking to lose money. BUT I GOT A CHANCE TO GAIN MORE MONEY OUT OF IT. At least i can transmitt to my familly STOCKS.

Why keeping on spending on something you get ZERO financial return?
    Why keeping on planting unfruitfull seeds?

I wont go back to that way of thinking. I wont go back to that lifestyle. Even if i loose AT LEAST I GOT CHANCES!!

• 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Soooo somebody told me that i was reckless for byuing wahtever stock errday.
    He assumes that im risking to lose my money and etc. Here is how i answered :

- you spend on smoking. The money is sure gone and nothing worthy but illness you got in return,
    - you buy phone for hundreds of dollars. The money is gone and you wont get back the same value if you sell it back,

Ok im risking to lose money. BUT I GOT A CHANCE TO GAIN MORE MONEY OUT OF IT. At least i can transmitt to my familly STOCKS.

Why keeping on spending on something you get ZERO financial return?
    Why keeping on planting unfruitfull seeds?

I wont go back to that way of thinking. I wont go back to that lifestyle. Even if i loose AT LEAST I GOT CHANCES!!

bruh....whenever you dont want to do the same wreckless things as other people...they tend to call you....wreckless by taking chances they dont agree with or understand.

not understanding the hypocrisy of their words.

but its just different levels.

i can call a street thug wreckless and i can call warren buffet wreckless.

both take gambles but only one takes risks for the good of himself the other wants to hurt people.

even with this example....it boils down to perspective.

keep on your track bruh.
  • Young_Chitlin
    Options
    I had to take out a $500 loan earlier today to cover some baby expenses as well as a purchase of a new cell phone. What had happened was that my cell phone prior to this new one fell in the toilet some freak incident. Thankfully in my hard work to obtain debt-free status, I accumulated good credit. Within minutes of applying for a small signature loan of $500, I got approved for it.

I fought back tears at the bank because the 200 photos of my son that I took, are all gone forever. I am included in the statistic of the earlier article I posted due to me having no emergency fund to speak of. So that's why I preach about this debt free stuff. You will never get desperate as I was earlier today if you have your emergency fund completely solidified.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    I had to take out a $500 loan earlier today to cover some baby expenses as well as a purchase of a new cell phone. What had happened was that my cell phone prior to this new one fell in the toilet some freak incident. Thankfully in my hard work to obtain debt-free status, I accumulated good credit. Within minutes of applying for a small signature loan of $500, I got approved for it.

I fought back tears at the bank because the 200 photos of my son that I took, are all gone forever. I am included in the statistic of the earlier article I posted due to me having no emergency fund to speak of. So that's why I preach about this debt free stuff. You will never get desperate as I was earlier today if you have your emergency fund completely solidified.

things happen bruh. don't be too hard on yourself. have a photo bucket app installed and have it back up your photos everyday or plug your phone into your PC and have the photos imported automatically to a folder named the date of the upload.

you can even place the phone in a bowl of rice to help it with drying and use a data retrieval software to get your photos off.

just some things I learned..
    but don't look at it like you had to get the loan...look at it like it was available. to get.

keep up the good work.
  • Koltrain
    Koltrain Members Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Good message. Sorry about losing those photos, but take plenty more and sync your google drive or something to your new phone to automatically backup your photos to the cloud. I have a side business working with people to improve their credit and One surefire obstacle to maintaining good credit is a lack of an emergency fund. Good thing you were at least able to get that loan. I've been there, the cycle is tough to break but has to be broken.
  • Young_Chitlin
    Options
  • Young_Chitlin
    Options
  • Young_Chitlin
    Options
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

owner doesn't want it viewed on websites other than YouTube? lol

anyway.....I hate when people say I'm lucky. it has been said on this site many times. I feel I was prepared for an opportunity.

even if you stumble upon something, you still need to have the knowledge to keep it and maintain it.

I can say plenty of people were lucky to get there house or investment properties. but then that takes away from their hard work and planning.
  • Young_Chitlin
    Options
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    seems like only the same 3 posters are geeked about these dave ramsey threads

I haven't seen not 1 golden nugget in any of these videos yet
  • Young_Chitlin
    Options

I have @blakfyahking - have a plan/budget, make your budget reflect what's really going on. Pay cash, cut up the credit cards. Live on less than you make. Live like no one else so later, you can live and give like no one else. Thanks to these shiny nuggets, I will be debt free in 2018
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have @blakfyahking - have a plan/budget, make your budget reflect what's really going on. Pay cash, cut up the credit cards. Live on less than you make. Live like no one else so later, you can live and give like no one else. Thanks to these shiny nuggets, I will be debt free in 2018

I'm happy that u making financial progress bruh

bu Dave Ramsey pretty much said don't use credit and live within your means.....he didn't need multiple videos to drive home the point

u shouldn't need a semi-celebrity to teach u that, but please keep on making progress by whatever means fam
  • Young_Chitlin
    Options
  • Young_Chitlin
    Options
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I ? with dave ramsey but i believe in building your credit. With that said i started around 560 n just hit 670 the other day. Shooting for 700 around fall at the latest.

I only have 2 store cards. One for nice clothes and one where i can get everyday clothing and household ? . I always keep my balance under 30% of my credit limit...pay it down before my credit score updates its been very inexpensive and i only purchase things i need.

Might get one actual credit card when i hit 700 for a hefty credit line and leave it at that. Having too many cards and spending when u dont need to/impulse spending is what ? ppl over.

I dont have those problems so credit can be used to my advantage not a detriment to finances.

Discipline patience & planning is all it takes.