who's owed more? natives for stolen land or blacks for forced free labor?

Options

Comments

• Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    There are some things about the reparations subject I have thought about. Its not something I think about too much because my thing is get mine and try to take advantage of what is here so Im not the type to put energy into that. But a few things. Who would get them and how? How much? Who can say what is owed? Who knows what somebody's particular ancestor went through? etc. I know of many black people who owned big land back then. I'm talking great great grandparents and even further back. Owned more than their offspring now...so who is that on? Or at least who has at least their part of the "blame".

So just anybody "Black" would get it? Eh, I dont hold my breath on that. So what would the proving process be? How do you assess a dollar amount? What time period are we talking? etc. People say no one from way back who may have been victimized and due it are alive today. Not that Im against it but just some considerations about the subject. No problem with those who may be exploring/promoting this issue.

You know that black people are owned reparations who things other than slavery, right? For instance, right after Reconstruction white racist CAC's instituted the convict lease system. This system allowed for prisons to lease prisoners to racist white supremacist CAC land owners and corporations. As a result they were locking black men up for vagrancy, riding the rails, gambling, carrying guns, and of course some made up ? . The vagrancy laws were the 19th Century version of "stop-and-frisk." A dude could literally be walking down the street, and the racist white supremacist CAC would stop accost potna ask him what he was doing and lock him up. Back then black didn't have freedom of movement and needed notes from white people stating what they were doing. Also, black would ride the rails looking for work, being that they were poor and didn't have money for a train ticket they would do that hobo ? . The racist white supremacists CACs would raid the trains and lock brothers up. Once locked up the brothers would be fined. Since they were poor they didn't have the money to pay the fine. A racist white supremacist land/ business owner or corporation would pay the fine and the brothers would be forced to "work," off the fine. The convict lease system was actually worse than slavery because at least in slavery, the racist white supremacist slaver would have vested maintaining his property where as with the convict leasing, they just worked muthafuckas to death and kept the brothers and sisters in horrid conditions. When they convicts would die, they just would buy new convicts. This hellish sick ass system lasted until the onset of the WWII and was only ended because the government didn't want the Axis to use it as a propaganda tool. The infrastructure of the South was built with this system and U.S. Steel benefited immensely from this ? up remix version of slavery. I highly suggest this book.

712LJFVJyDL._SX342_.jpg

Then there's this.

BC-Tulsa-Daily-World-06021921-1023x576_0.jpg?itok=a0Z2P2cZ

As we all know our economic based was repeatedly devastated on the word of some racist white supremacist female screaming ? . Racist white supremacist savages would rampage through our parts of town destroying everything in sight. Descendants of black business owners who lost their livelihoods are owned reparations and the lost of the business should be adjusted for inflation.

Then there's the policy of Benign Neglect which is one of the reasons why our communities are ? up today.

At that historical juncture, Moynihan declared, Americans needed “a period in which ? progress” continued and “racial rhetoric” faded. Moynihan believed that the antipoverty programs of the “Great Society” of the 1960s had failed miserably, not only because they had attempted to use money alone to solve the nation’s inability to properly educate the African American poor but also because they did not raise issues in reference to the viability of integration as a solution to U.S. racial problems. To most liberals—especially many civil rights leaders of the period—Moynihan had provided the rationalization for what Swedish political economist Gunnar Myrdal, in his classic An American Dilemma (1944), labeled a “laissez-faire” or “do-nothing” approach to racial problems. http://www.encyclopedia.com/history/united-states-and-canada/us-history/benign-neglect

Coupled with benign neglect, black people are owned reparations for the devastating effects of the Drug War. When World War II ended, the Marshall Plan was enacted to rebuild Europe, we need an urban Marshall Plan. Reparations don't have to be a check per se, but something like fully funding inner city schools and teaching STEM subjects do that we don't have to import Dotheads. Giving SBA loans to graduates of HBCUs or residents of certain neighborhoods who can prove they've live in "x" neighborhood for say 15 years. Fully funding HBCU's. You have to be careful about saying ? is specifically for black because there would be a court challenge based on violating the 14th Amendment.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm glad Tulsa was brought up...we gonna have a mock trial to determine what is owed to the descendants
  • ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Black people are owed more because them Indians trusting them crackers is what paved the way for us to be brought here in the first place
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Who are owed more Indians or blacks?

1672 - Legislators also offer a reward to Indians who capture escaped slaves and return them to a justice of the peace.
    http://www.history.org/history/teaching/slavelaw.cfm

Cherokee Nation Expels Descendants Of Tribe’s Black Slaves

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/25/cherokee-nations-expels-d_n_936930.html

After a long legal fight, the Cherokee nation ousted thousands of descendants of black slaves who had long been official members of the tribe.

The Cherokee Supreme Court (the tribe is a sovereign nation) ruled this week a 2007 constitutional amendment that required Cherokee blood in order to belong to the tribe could stand.

“This is racism and apartheid in the 21st century,” Marilyn Vann, the lead plaintiff in the case and a freedman leader, told Reuters.

The controversy over the freedmen’s status is at least in part about money. The Cherokee nation, the second-largest Native American tribe in the country, receives money from the federal government and earns money from its stake in the lucrative gambling industry, which totaled $26.4 billion for all tribes in 2009. In the run-up to the 2007 amendment vote, some proponents of expelling the freedmen suggested that more blacks might apply for membership to receive tribal money.

In the 1800s, the U.S. government passed a law forcing members of the Cherokee nation from their ancestral lands in the Deep South to make room for white settlers. The Cherokee — as well as their black slaves — were forcibly marched west of the Mississippi River to the Oklahoma territory during the “Trail of Tears,” resulting in the deaths of thousands of Native Americans.

After the Civil War, the Cherokee formally admitted by treaty their slaves’ descendants into the nation.

Before the 2007 passage of the amendment, some descendants of the freedmen said the vote on their status within the nation expressed a desire by many tribe members to paper over their slave-owning past. But the tribe’s leadership disagreed. “It’s a basic, inherent right to determine our own citizenry,” a Cherokee leader told the Washington Post. “We paid very dearly for those rights.”

You tell me.

yes, because all Native Americans were Cherokee...

b04005c7d15d094a.jpg

you can't say that, eagle feather

The Black side of me can. Biracial for the win!
  • konceptjones
    Options
    ghostdog56 wrote: »
    Black people are owed more because them Indians trusting them crackers is what paved the way for us to be brought here in the first place

The Atlantic Slave Trade truthfully started in 1493 when Columbus began shipping Natives back to Europe. This was over 100 years before the first colonists at Jamestown in 1607 and before the first Africans were brought over as slaves in 1619. By the time the first Africans had been brought here nearly one million Natives had been captured and shipped back to Europe in chains and many more were already being forced to work as slaves in the islands and central America. However, the oldest European settlement in this country, San Agustin in what would eventually be known as Florida, had Europeans that were using Natives as slaves as far back as 1565.

Natives were the first people enslaved here.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    fortyacres wrote: »
    why would you compare historical genocides ? thats silly

is it really?

I guess you skipped Jew class.

they bring the ? up over anything..

but ? must keep silent?

not even a discussion?

*in trump voice*

sad

Its silly from them (jews) and its silly from you

you get nowhere by comparing tragedies. You can make a strong intelligent argument on what kind of reparations should or would African Americans receive without talking about other minority groups, its weak and counter productive.

silly?

unlike you. I can turn a "silly " discussion into a learning experience.

you debating me about a question that can spark debate and lead elsewhere without thinking of a bigger picture is counter productive.

even taking it smaller...

why can't a simple question be asked without a high horse ? coming in?

why does this question bother you?
    why didn't you just ignore it?

who's comparing tragedies? I said what was owed from what was stolen for free.

Jews still want money from Nazis from what was stolen, am I right?

so, what's your point again?

91f6dd68daab71e581e602a420a09114.jpg

you ain't funny ? ...stop bringing uo old ? ...

it's about this ? ...

I ain't trying to be funny. Just pointing the FACT that its crazy as ? for you to question that ? on same ? that you do all the ? time all over this whole forum.
  • Stomp Johnson
    Stomp Johnson Members, Writer Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Land vs labor

Location vs workforce

Hmmm....lemme ponder this. I shall return.
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Reservations are horrible
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hate to compare atrocities. So, I won't.

Blacks are owed more and it's not even close. Not just because of Free Labor or the violence of slavery, and Jim crow but for what we have done despite these things. There is no ETHNIC group in this godforsaken country that has done more for freedom, justice and equality for all. While we were and continue getting our ? kicked we continue to include all persecuted, and disenfranchised people in our struggle. All the while these ? ever rarely give a damn about us. Even Indians now infested with ? blood through ? and ? have cut ties with Blacks who are descendants of natives. Every non-white ethnic group in this country owes their ? damn existence in America to Blacks.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

is it really?

but ? must keep silent?

not even a discussion?

*in trump voice*

sad

you get nowhere by comparing tragedies. You can make a strong intelligent argument on what kind of reparations should or would African Americans receive without talking about other minority groups, its weak and counter productive.

silly?

you debating me about a question that can spark debate and lead elsewhere without thinking of a bigger picture is counter productive.

it's about this ? ...

I ain't trying to be funny. Just pointing the FACT that its crazy as ? for you to question that ? on same ? that you do all the ? time all over this whole forum.

so you critiquing my posting style?

get off your high horse ?
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

is it really?

but ? must keep silent?

not even a discussion?

*in trump voice*

sad

silly?

it's about this ? ...

so you critiquing my posting style?

get off your high horse ?

LOL literally!!!!
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    Indians been getting reparations for years, black people have yet to receive anything..

No we haven't. Plain and simple. Add to that we're being systematically killed off through those "resources" you're talking about.

https://www.courthousenews.com/tribe-sues-for-exposure-event-at-hospital/

^^^ This happened at my reservation. This wasn't the first "exposure event" and the IHS is riddled with similar complaints about their practices. Intentionally infecting Natives with everything from ? to Tuberculosis at "free clinics" ain't exactly getting reparations, and it is definitely intentional.

Aside from that, nearly every dollar we have received from the government was fought for because of broken agreements between tribes and the US government (i.e. the recent $1B land settlement that no one in my family except my Grandmother got money from).

Nah bruh, try again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVYShOZkZGs

Did native Americans receive reparations. Yes or No? It's unfortunate what has happened to your people but y'all have received resources in the past and continue to do so. You're arguing a point that I wasn't even making.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If the natives would stay off the firewater they might be in a better position
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

i think they might have a right to be depressed
  • konceptjones
    Options
    Indians been getting reparations for years, black people have yet to receive anything..

No we haven't. Plain and simple. Add to that we're being systematically killed off through those "resources" you're talking about.

^^^ This happened at my reservation. This wasn't the first "exposure event" and the IHS is riddled with similar complaints about their practices. Intentionally infecting Natives with everything from ? to Tuberculosis at "free clinics" ain't exactly getting reparations, and it is definitely intentional.

Aside from that, nearly every dollar we have received from the government was fought for because of broken agreements between tribes and the US government (i.e. the recent $1B land settlement that no one in my family except my Grandmother got money from).

Nah bruh, try again.

Did native Americans receive reparations. Yes or No? It's unfortunate what has happened to your people but y'all have received resources in the past and continue to do so. You're arguing a point that I wasn't even making.

No. Plain and simple. There have been no reparations paid. The only people I can think of that have received money from the government due to their treatment was the Japanese for being put into concentration camps. In 1988, Ronald Regan signed a bill that authorized the payment of $20K to every living survivor. They're the only people I can think of that got money.
  • 5th Letter
    Options

Nah bruh, try again.

No. Plain and simple. There have been no reparations paid. The only people I can think of that have received money from the government due to their treatment was the Japanese for being put into concentration camps. In 1988, Ronald Regan signed a bill that authorized the payment of $20K to every living survivor. They're the only people I can think of that got money.

"The experience of American Indians in obtaining reparations from the federal government should interest those who seek similar actions with respect to Black Americans. American Indians have received three types of reparations: (1) cash payments, through the operation of the Indian Claims Commission and the U.S. Court of Claims; (2) land, through an occasional action of Congress to return control over land to particular tribes; and (3) tribal recognition, by either Congress or the Bureau of Indian Affairs. The first of these has been the least satisfactory, measured by long-term impact on Indian communities. The second was more satisfactory, but has been experienced by very few tribes. The third, which is in process now, has had the best results."
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    I'm not saying that it's been great for y'all or that it's satisfactory. But native Americans have received reparations and resources. More than black people can say.
  • konceptjones
    Options

Nah bruh, try again.

"The experience of American Indians in obtaining reparations from the federal government should interest those who seek similar actions with respect to Black Americans. American Indians have received three types of reparations: (1) cash payments, through the operation of the Indian Claims Commission and the U.S. Court of Claims; (2) land, through an occasional action of Congress to return control over land to particular tribes; and (3) tribal recognition, by either Congress or the Bureau of Indian Affairs. The first of these has been the least satisfactory, measured by long-term impact on Indian communities. The second was more satisfactory, but has been experienced by very few tribes. The third, which is in process now, has had the best results."

you took the first thing you got from google... Did you even read that ? ?

1. The Indian Claims Commission only served to settle claims of money owed to individual tribes for whatever agreement was broken between a given tribe and the US Government. This is not reparations.

2. The land was ours in the first place. Getting something back that belonged to you isn't reparations, it's justice.

3. Being recognized as a tribe in the first place isn't reparations in even the slightest.

Try again.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2014/06/10/why-native-americans-dont-want-reparations/
  • 5th Letter
    Options

Nah bruh, try again.

1. The Indian Claims Commission only served to settle claims of money owed to individual tribes for whatever agreement was broken between a given tribe and the US Government. This is not reparations.

2. The land was ours in the first place. Getting something back that belonged to you isn't reparations, it's justice.

3. Being recognized as a tribe in the first place isn't reparations in even the slightest.

Try again.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2014/06/10/why-native-americans-dont-want-reparations/

U.S. finalizes $3.4 billion settlement with American Indians
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/26/politics/american-indian-settlment/

U.S. Government To Pay $492 Million To 17 American Indian Tribes
    http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/09/27/495627997/u-s-government-to-pay-492-million-to-17-american-indian-tribes

These look like pay outs to me.

• konceptjones
    Options

Nah bruh, try again.

Try again.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/09/27/495627997/u-s-government-to-pay-492-million-to-17-american-indian-tribes

Are you even trying???!!!

The first one is a direct result of a class action lawsuit against the U.S. Department of the Interior over their mismanagement of tribal lands. The payout doesn't go to all of us either; only those of us that own land that was being managed by the DoI. To use my family as an example, only my grandmother received money because she's the only one that owns land on the reservation. We all applied for it, but because none of us owned tribal land we didn't get ? .

Did you even read the 2nd one???
    The U.S. government has agreed to pay a total of $492 million to 17 American Indian tribes for mismanaging natural resources and other tribal assets, according to an attorney who filed most of the suits.

^^^ That's the first ? sentence in the article. The government was SUED because it mismanaged the resources for 17 tribes.

Seven-teen

Lawsuits ain't reparations; just stop trying.
  • konceptjones
    Options
    @ghostdog56 and @5th Letter since y'all like playing word games and act like you don't understand ? , according to this article, using your own logic of a small number of people getting "reparations", Black folks got reparations already...

http://articles.latimes.com/1995-02-12/news/mn-30965_1_racist-mob
    At last, the state allocates $2 million in reparations.

'cause, according to you @5th Letter , money that has gone to a handful of people means reparations were paid out to everyone...

If you don't see how ridiculous your arguments have been up to now, I don't know what to say. Trying to point to a few people that got money and saying "Natives got reparations... look, this 17 tribes out of 566 recognized by the federal government got money from a lawsuit" is about as stupid as trying to say that all Black folks in this country got reparations because less than 20 Black families got money from a lawsuit filed for the survivors of Rosewood.
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    @ghostdog56 and @5th Letter since y'all like playing word games and act like you don't understand ? , according to this article, using your own logic of a small number of people getting "reparations", Black folks got reparations already...

'cause, according to you @5th Letter , money that has gone to a handful of people means reparations were paid out to everyone...

If you don't see how ridiculous your arguments have been up to now, I don't know what to say. Trying to point to a few people that got money and saying "Natives got reparations... look, this 17 tribes out of 566 recognized by the federal government got money from a lawsuit" is about as stupid as trying to say that all Black folks in this country got reparations because less than 20 Black families got money from a lawsuit filed for the survivors of Rosewood.

When did I say ALL native Americans got reparations? I have posted two articles that detail the government allocating money to tribal groups. Which is the point.
  • MallyG
    MallyG Members Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Who introduced that firewater in the first place (on purpose btw)??.....

bvyfwmqcy5z3.gif
  • konceptjones
    edited March 2017
    Options

When did I say ALL native Americans got reparations? I have posted two articles that detail the government allocating money to tribal groups. Which is the point.

you asked:

I replied:

To which you responded with:

and:

Within the context of the conversation you're making it seem as if the settlements from LAWSUITS to a handful of tribes and individuals, the return of land rightfully owed to several Tribes, and being federally recognized as a Tribe are, somehow, reparations paid to all Native Americans.

You cannot pin reparations to Natives on the legal wins of a few people just like we can't pin reparations to Black folks on the legal wins of a few.

Again... The only group of people in this country I can think of to have been given reparations were the Japanese.