Welfare, section 8, entitlements....let's talk about it...

Options

Comments

• Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Ol Jay's wrote: »
    Kat wrote: »
    @deadeye

Since when is unemployment benefits considered government assistance? MFer you paid into that to insure your ass should you find yourself laid off.

I don't consider unemployment to be welfare..at all.

if we look at it like this, then government assistance is no different, we're paying into those programs too aka taxes

I don't understand how people believe that the money the government shells out is some kind of magical money that appears out of thin air, it's OUR money

Nah. You can't qualify for unemployment unless you've been working and have put in on it. Not the case for welfare.

The fact that I've worked for most my adult life is why I feel no guilt jumping on those food stamps the couple times I've qualified over the years. They can owe me for a little bit.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @deadeye

Since when is unemployment benefits considered government assistance? MFer you paid into that to insure your ass should you find yourself laid off.

if we look at it like this, then government assistance is no different, we're paying into those programs too aka taxes

I don't understand how people believe that the money the government shells out is some kind of magical money that appears out of thin air, it's OUR money

Nah. You can't qualify for unemployment unless you've been working and have put in on it. Not the case for welfare.

The fact that I've worked for most my adult life is why I feel no guilt jumping on those food stamps the couple times I've qualified over the years. They can owe me for a little bit.

U pay into unemployment insurance
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @deadeye

You really think someone who works at a resort for 4 months pays in enough to cover their unemployment for the remaining 8 months?

Get real, unemployment can be used to game the system like anything else.
  • Kat
    Options
    @deadeye

U pay into unemployment insurance

That's what I just said..I don't get what you mean.
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Crude_ wrote: »
    smh @ caring about section 8 when At&t hasn't paid federal taxes and collected $34 billion in federal returns over the last 8 years

I don't give a ? about AT&T which is worth billions not paying taxes just like I didn't give a ? about Wesley Snipes not paying his taxes it's a none story in relation to where my interests lay.

I do however care about the plight of people who look like I do. The government will go throw these low income shindigs in our community and try to control us to a degree saying you can only make this much money to live here and such basically enticing us to stay here and in poverty.

Everybody here probably got their phone AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, or Verizon which are all basically the same company split up to make it more competitive. I bet ain't nobody here canceling their cell phone service because of these loopholes these companies take advantage of though. You should research the 7 Baby Bells if you haven't already.

section 8 isn't designed to keep folks in poverty, it's a tool used to allow low income folks an opportunity to live in middle class neighborhoods thus giving low income kids to attend better schools

We pay taxes, so We fund the government, and I'd rather complain about my tax dollars going to corporations than to those living in poverty

Low income people spend a lot of money so that means they're paying sales taxes, so in actuality they're paying just as much taxes as the next

Section 8 keeps people in poverty.

I've seen 2 generations of families get on it that lived right across the street from me in my own lifetime.

I don't know where you live but in Louisiana where I live they don't even put that low income housing in middle class neighborhoods. They are put in low income parts of town. I have also noticed they are going away from those high rise multiple unit apartments and putting up the ones that look just like small single family homes in the middle of these low income areas.

Where I live they are all concentrated on the Southside of town where you know who lives.

That program was set up for the disabled and people who fell on hard times, it was not set up for people to be living entire lifetimes on.
  • Kat
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    @deadeye

You really think someone who works at a resort for 4 months pays in enough to cover their unemployment for the remaining 8 months?

How much you get and how long depends on your individual circumstances. If you been working long enough you will get the maximum time and amount.

It can be manipulated, as can anything. I knew I had six months so I rode that ? out for six months.
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    smh @ caring about section 8 when At&t hasn't paid federal taxes and collected $34 billion in federal returns over the last 8 years

I don't give a ? about AT&T which is worth billions not paying taxes just like I didn't give a ? about Wesley Snipes not paying his taxes it's a none story in relation to where my interests lay.

I do however care about the plight of people who look like I do. The government will go throw these low income shindigs in our community and try to control us to a degree saying you can only make this much money to live here and such basically enticing us to stay here and in poverty.

Everybody here probably got their phone AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, or Verizon which are all basically the same company split up to make it more competitive. I bet ain't nobody here canceling their cell phone service because of these loopholes these companies take advantage of though. You should research the 7 Baby Bells if you haven't already.

section 8 isn't designed to keep folks in poverty, it's a tool used to allow low income folks an opportunity to live in middle class neighborhoods thus giving low income kids to attend better schools

We pay taxes, so We fund the government, and I'd rather complain about my tax dollars going to corporations than to those living in poverty

Low income people spend a lot of money so that means they're paying sales taxes, so in actuality they're paying just as much taxes as the next

i dont think this is true. section 8 doesn't have any type of requirement that says that it has to be a middle class neighborhood. if u are a private landlord in any neighborhood u can apply to the section 8 program. u just have to make sure the housing meets their guidelines and neighborhood status aint one of them.

they may spend a lot in tax dollars but that dont help me when i gotta repair damages that they have done to my house. abuse of the system and letting these folks run crazy is costly to private landlords like me. we apply for the program because at first glance it seems like guaranteed money but in the end it can cost us thousands. perhaps it works better in them big apartment complexes. the idea of section 8 is a good one but the execution of the program....not so good.

• D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Where you get the italicized info from?
  • Ol Jay's
    Ol Jay's Members Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options

i dont think this is true. section 8 doesn't have any type of requirement that says that it has to be a middle class neighborhood. if u are a private landlord in any neighborhood u can apply to the section 8 program. u just have to make sure the housing meets their guidelines and neighborhood status aint one of them.

they may spend a lot in tax dollars but that dont help me when i gotta repair damages that they have done to my house. abuse of the system and letting these folks run crazy is costly to private landlords like me. we apply for the program because at first glance it seems like guaranteed money but in the end it can cost us thousands. perhaps it works better in them big apartment complexes. the idea of section 8 is a good one but the execution of the program....not so good.

bro reread my post

Nowhere in it do I say "its a requirement that section 8 has to be in middle class neighborhoods"

I said "it's a tool used to allow low income folks an opportunity to live in middle class neighborhoods", meaning it's not just offered in low income neighborhoods as suggested by the poster I was responding to
  • Ol Jay's
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »

observation, I have seen people here and in Illinois utilize section 8 as such
  • Ol Jay's
    edited March 2017
    Options

I've seen 2 generations of families get on it that lived right across the street from me in my own lifetime.

I don't know where you live but in Louisiana where I live they don't even put that low income housing in middle class neighborhoods. They are put in low income parts of town. I have also noticed they are going away from those high rise multiple unit apartments and putting up the ones that look just like small single family homes in the middle of these low income areas.

Where I live they are all concentrated on the Southside of town where you know who lives.

That program was set up for the disabled and people who fell on hard times, it was not set up for people to be living entire lifetimes on.

are you sure those people aren't choosing to get section 8 in low income neighborhoods because they don't want to "leave the hood" or you know for a fact that it's only offered in low income neighborhoods

Because I used to think like that too, that it was only offered in the "hood" , until my wife's cousin moved to a predominantly white County into a middle class neighborhood, and I asked what made her even think to apply for it in that area and she said "it's low income white people too, why wouldnt it be offered in this area"

Matter of fact her sister moved to a predominantly white middle class neighborhood in Mississippi last year via section 8
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

bro reread my post

Nowhere in it do I say "its a requirement that section 8 has to be in middle class neighborhoods"

I said "it's a tool used to allow low income folks an opportunity to live in middle class neighborhoods", meaning it's not just offered in low income neighborhoods as suggested by the poster I was responding to

I can only speak about my experience with the program. That is why I said I don't think it's true. U know folks who used it to their benefit. Like I said good program...Bad execution
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »

observation, I have seen people here and in Illinois utilize section 8 as such

I get what you saying and those people who looked for a rental house in a middle class neighborhood that accepted section 8 was a smart move but the way you worded that is ? .

• LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ghostdog56 wrote: »
    This is America ain't ? for free. Trust me they will end up paying for that ? in the end, the government is pulling a long con on them ?

How so......I know a chick w 5 kids...gets bout damn near a 1000 a month in link/food stamps, gets like 2000 a month for rent, also gets a stipend for spending cash.....as long as she keeps checking in or whatever it is they do to qualify for this, she's good....

All she does is party and gamble

The end game is to keep black people as a permanent underclass so if the economy ever gets to bad they can put black people back in slavery. What if the government told that chick you know that if she don't start doing this work I got for you (slavery) I'm going to cut your benefits? What will she do? She doesn't have a work history, work skills, or work ethic to get a job on her own she will have no choice but to become a slave. The government is her ? and she is just a hoe

Some of them ? must have Alzheimers because they already forgot that the government has never had black peoples best interest at heart

Ding, ding, ding. Don't y'all realize their lives are in the government's hands?
  • Crude_
    Options

are you sure those people aren't choosing to get section 8 in low income neighborhoods because they don't want to "leave the hood" or you know for a fact that it's only offered in low income neighborhoods

Because I used to think like that too, that it was only offered in the "hood" , until my wife's cousin moved to a predominantly white County into a middle class neighborhood, and I asked what made her even think to apply for it in that area and she said "it's low income white people too, why wouldnt it be offered in this area"

Matter of fact her sister moved to a predominantly white middle class neighborhood in Mississippi last year via section 8

I know this for fact in my area because my wife and I search MLS to find real estate properties to possible rent to people ourselves.

I can't speak for parts outside of the little 50-60 square mile radius frequent.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LPast wrote: »
    This is America ain't ? for free. Trust me they will end up paying for that ? in the end, the government is pulling a long con on them ?

How so......I know a chick w 5 kids...gets bout damn near a 1000 a month in link/food stamps, gets like 2000 a month for rent, also gets a stipend for spending cash.....as long as she keeps checking in or whatever it is they do to qualify for this, she's good....

All she does is party and gamble

The end game is to keep black people as a permanent underclass so if the economy ever gets to bad they can put black people back in slavery. What if the government told that chick you know that if she don't start doing this work I got for you (slavery) I'm going to cut your benefits? What will she do? She doesn't have a work history, work skills, or work ethic to get a job on her own she will have no choice but to become a slave. The government is her ? and she is just a hoe

Some of them ? must have Alzheimers because they already forgot that the government has never had black peoples best interest at heart

Ding, ding, ding. Don't y'all realize their lives are in the government's hands?

Not necessarily. ...cuz barring some bs....they can always go to work
  • Will Munny
    Options
    @deadeye

How much you get and how long depends on your individual circumstances. If you been working long enough you will get the maximum time and amount.

It can be manipulated, as can anything. I knew I had six months so I rode that ? out for six months.

Slow clap for being a drag on society.
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^Doing what, though?

Cats have to understand, everything comes with a price.
  • Kat
    Options
    @deadeye

Again, I pay in and I'll take as well.

I see you still mad though, stay mad Mr. Bitter Britches.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? in mad at ppl using the govement when the govement stay using us
  • Kat
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »

Brainwashed.
  • Will Munny
    Options
    @deadeye

The only people who "pay in" enough to make 6 months of unemployment good enough to ride out are the people who work year round. PERIOD.
  • Crude_
    Options

I don't know or see any 6 figure kneegrows on public assistance, much less millionaires.

You want to know why its because that ain't how people with money use the government, people with real money abuse and find loopholes in tax laws, get grants, file bankruptcy to restructure and not pay bills, etc.

Ain't nobody getting ahead on that little $1,200 fixed income they get from the government and I'm being very generous with that $ amount.
  • Kat
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @deadeye

The only people who "pay in" enough to make 6 months of unemployment good enough to ride out are the people who work year round. PERIOD.

MFer, I DO work year round! Tf?

You're not even making sense right now.

Edit - Oh I think I see what you mean. My boo makes good money. That was just play money for me.

You're just jealous. Weren't you on food stamps at one point? As a single white male?
  • Kat
    Options

I don't know or see any 6 figure kneegrows on public assistance, much less millionaires.

You want to know why its because that ain't how people with money use the government, people with real money abuse and find loopholes in tax laws, get grants, file bankruptcy to restructure and not pay bills, etc.

Ain't nobody getting ahead on that little $1,200 fixed income they get from the government and I'm being very generous with that $ amount.

BUT they still find ways to benefit off the government, so who are they to cast judgement on anyone? They just doing it at a higher level.