Ever Wonder What Kind of Men Harass Women Online?

Options
Kat
Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ever wonder what kind of men harass women online? Researchers found out. Just in case you needed another reason to not be a sore loser.

We all enjoy winning, but nobody likes a sore loser.

Unfortunately, two scientists found a group of men who did not get the memo. Researchers from University of New South Wales and Miami University logged into the uber-popular video game Halo 3 and observed 163 games to see how the players treated each other.

The gender breakdown in how players treated each other probably won't surprise you. All the men treated each other fairly well while a small subset of men treated the few women players like ? . Turns out everyone is pretty nice to each other — except the male losers. They felt some kind of way about it and took it out on the female players.

The men that were the worst players were the ones that treated women badly — so they can feel "manly" again.
To put this in perspective: The men who were good at the game were nice to everyone, regardless of the gender of their co-players. So, the better the player, the nicer the man. The harassers were only nice to other men.

It turns out that the harassers wanted to make up for their poor performance — and feel like a "man" again.

They didn't get the memo that women are gamers, too, and felt angry that women were in "their" space. And then to add insult to injury, the men — gasp — were losing to these ladies. Unfortunately, they turned to a harmful quick fix for their fragile male egos and lashed out in an attempt to assert some sort of dominance.

They couldn't handle that they were losing to a girl. Talk about sore losers.

The behavior of these sore losers gives us insight into the world of harassment on the Internet where there's a lot — a whole lot — of it. And women experience the worst of it.

The Pew Research Center released a report last year (2014) stating that 40% of people on the Internet have experienced harassment. Kids, LGBTQ people, people with disabilities, people of color. The list is endless. The report also found young women (ages 18-24) are disproportionately targeted for severe forms of online harassment, including stalking and consistent harassment.

The study shows the dangers of toxic masculinity for both women and men.
"Toxic masculinity" is a term often used to refer to a group of beliefs that are anchored to the idea that men must be violent, unemotional, aggressive, etc. to prove their worth in society. Pretty ? , right? It doesn't just hurt the people who are subjected to the behavior, the pressure to perform these negative behaviors hurt men, too.

The researchers noted that "men often rely on aggression to maintain their dominant social status," and they think that the harassment is an attempt to distance themselves from being seen as equal to women.
We need to stop equating aggressive behavior with manhood and superior status so we can teach young men that losing to women isn't a big deal.
I get it. Losing sucks. There's a reason why I never play Monopoly. I get my butt whooped every time. But the gender of the person who beat you shouldn't have an effect on your reaction to it.

Read the entire study published at PLOS ONE, and if you really are in the mood to read about online harassment, check out Pew's report. For some insight into toxic masculinity, I definitely recommend reading this piece by one of my favorite dating advice columnists, Dr. Nerdlove. (Don't be turn off by the name. He's actually really great).

Comments

• TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @BOSSExcellence i think this thread was made for you
  • Kat
    edited April 2017
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    Kat wrote: »

So you gonna for him to do your bidding? Lol..? .

WTF

I dont harass women online. I never even came at you before.

Now im a ? ? ? u

jay-z-pushes_south_african_girl.gif

Lol..oh I thought you were calling him to come tell me to shut up. My apologies if that wasn't the case.

I don't recall you being a harasser of women.

I think the article and study rings true though, not just on the IC but in general.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hahahahaha Chilla
  • Kat
    Options
    Lmao at the men treating each other nicely in online games. I haven't​ played in years but.

You got little boys calling u a ? Everytime you play.

In my experience women get the better treatment. Word to them RPGs where dudes even pretend to be women to get more loot and what now.

Nerds are the biggest simps

Do you notice if these offenders are the ones losing the game or not one of the better players?
  • Kat
    Options
    Yes, I alpreciate you boo.
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Kat wrote: »
    Lmao at the men treating each other nicely in online games. I haven't​ played in years but.

You got little boys calling u a ? Everytime you play.

In my experience women get the better treatment. Word to them RPGs where dudes even pretend to be women to get more loot and what now.

Nerds are the biggest simps

Do you notice if these offenders are the ones losing the game or not one of the better players?

I really don't give a ? about nerds
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    also in threads im the main ? defendin ? ..

so im confused..
    idont see how this is a thread for me...

if anything im the better player nice to all but when u challenge me imma show jus how better at this ? that i am. lol
  • Kat
    Options
    Ugh, for the sake of the thread!

I do notice trends, here and other places around the webs.
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    I posted before I read the whole article lmao.

But the thing about hyper masculinity is that it was created by women.

Alot of dudes show no emotion because they don't want to been seen as soft by women.

Kat would u be with a dude that cried all the time?
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kind of misleading. They based this on video game play - not just just general online stalking and harassment.

And I find it hard to believe that they can say that everybody was generally nice to each other except the ones who treated women negatively. Most of the time I used to play online, it was a whole bunch of racists talkin ? .
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maywood wrote: »

how?!
    i dont harrass women on this site..

i also dont take ? from them either..

there's females on this site im cool as ? wit and there some who better not speak in a thread im in..
    but the same goes for ? ..

i jus dont take no ? ..

now @Kat is different..
    i jus like callin her a ? and i love tellin her to shut up..

and she alpreciates me for it..

we cool..

right Kat??

Come the ? on

simple error..
    ? that happens when ur texting and doin other ? .. the "l" is directly under the "p" so its nit far fetched to see that it was a simple mistake..

but i bet u one thing..
    i bet u my money right!!?

now bet it ? ..
    put that kind of scrutiny and dilligence into urself instead of how someone types and i guarantee u ur life will improve and not suck to the point the smallest ? ? u off.

• Kat
    Options
    I posted before I read the whole article lmao.

But the thing about hyper masculinity is that it was created by women.

Alot of dudes show no emotion because they don't want to been seen as soft by women.

Kat would u be with a dude that cried all the time?

No, not at all.

But this isn't really about a display of male emotion, it's about a certain group of men (and women too, at times) that find the need to bully or harass women online and why that is..
  • Ol Jay's
    Ol Jay's Members Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lil ? dudes, they're ? in traffic too
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So what games are male IC posters losing?

And what does it mean when female posters respond positively to only negativity?
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I called a girl a ? one time while playing gta online. I didn't mean anything by it, I was just kidding. I didn't know the word ? still had the weight and impact it had back in the 80's. she called me a ? . we got into a 20 minute shouting match over it. her white knight black boyfriend/friend took her side. all in all I didn't mean anything by it. I usually get along with female gamers.
  • Maywood
    Maywood Members Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maywood wrote: »

how?!
    i dont harrass women on this site..

i also dont take ? from them either..

there's females on this site im cool as ? wit and there some who better not speak in a thread im in..
    but the same goes for ? ..

i jus dont take no ? ..

now @Kat is different..
    i jus like callin her a ? and i love tellin her to shut up..

and she alpreciates me for it..

we cool..

right Kat??

Come the ? on

simple error..
    ? that happens when ur texting and doin other ? .. the "l" is directly under the "p" so its nit far fetched to see that it was a simple mistake..

but i bet u one thing..
    i bet u my money right!!?

now bet it ? ..
    put that kind of scrutiny and dilligence into urself instead of how someone types and i guarantee u ur life will improve and not suck to the point the smallest ? ? u off.

Damn..lol
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dudes disrespect females online for the approval of other men...its kinda unsettling tbh

• AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I called a girl a ? one time while playing gta online. I didn't mean anything by it, I was just kidding. I didn't know the word ? still had the weight and impact it had back in the 80's. she called me a ? . we got into a 20 minute shouting match over it. her white knight black boyfriend/friend took her side. all in all I didn't mean anything by it. I usually get along with female gamers.

Aight cool