Shekhar Kapur to Direct Official Bruce Lee Biopic ‘Little Dragon’

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
Filmmaker Shekhar Kapur, who helmed Elizabeth (1998) and New York, I Love You (2008), will be directing/co-writing Little Dragon, an official, authorized biopic of martial arts legend Bruce Lee, which will be produced/co-written by Bruce Lee Entertainment, a company operated by Lee’s daughter Shannon Lee (Enter the Eagles). The film will be a U.S., Hong Kong and China co-production.

According to Variety, Little Dragon is a contemporary dramatization of the 1950s Hong Kong social and political forces that shaped Bruce Lee into both the most famous martial arts star of all time and a significant modern day philosopher. Themes include family disappointment, young love, true friendship, betrayal, racism, deep poverty and an inner fire that threatened to unravel his destiny.

“I always thought that a film about how my father’s life was shaped in his early years in Hong Kong would be a worthwhile story to share so we could better understand him as a human being and a warrior,” said Lee. “I’m really excited that Shekhar will breathe life into the first film from Bruce Lee Entertainment.”

Little Dragon will be just one of the many films centering on the life of Bruce Lee. During the 70s, a string of biopics were made that included 1974’s Dragon Story and 1976’s Bruce Lee: The Man, The Myth (both starring ? Chung Tao); in 1993 came Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story (starring Jason Scott Lee); in 2010, Bruce Lee My Brother (starring Aarif Lee) was produced with the full support of Bruce’s brother, Robert Lee (Lady Killer); and most recently, Birth of the Dragon (starring Philip Ng), a soon-to-be-released, fable-based movie that focused on Lee’s disputed bout with Master Wong Jack-Man was completed.

Little Dragon is currently in pre-production phase with a scheduled shoot date aimed for July. The big question remains: Who will play Bruce Lee? We’ll keep you updated.

http://cityonfire.com/shekhar-kapur-to-direct-official-bruce-lee-biopic-little-dragon/