Video: Kool G Rap Speaks On Being The First Gangsta Rapper…

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h_WxewFmfA
Legendary Emcee Kool G Rap stopped by VladTV for an important, much-anticipated interview. In this clip, Kool G Rap and Vlad discuss the meaning behind his name and where the origins of his storied career began. He talks about rapping at an early age and linking up with Marley Marl and the Juice Crew as his buzz grew.

Comments

• 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    was kool g before scholly d?
  • StreetRap
    StreetRap Members Posts: 416
    Options
    School D had to come out first cuz he was asked was he the first gangsta rapper he said yes

then he asked did he feel Schooly D was a gangsta rapper he said no

So Schooly D was the only one close who most likely came before Kool G Rap but

Kool G explained that Schooly wasn't on tha gangsta type of raps more flashy baller type rap
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I thought it was some west coast ? that was the first
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    StreetRap wrote: »
    School D had to come out first cuz he was asked was he the first gangsta rapper he said yes

Kool G explained that Schooly wasn't on tha gangsta type of raps more flashy baller type rap

wrong wrong wrong

psk....making that green

was about money and flash right before or at the beginning of the ? fast money era.

kool g had a style to work with. to build on. to refer to. an being a new York cat....he had that to build on a refer to.

hanging with the real 50cent
    Scarface
    he had alot to build on.

he's my top lyricist... always will be.

but scholly was first. parkside was wild as fukk back then....but still wasn't touching North.
  • chompollet
    chompollet Members Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • StreetRap
    Options

wrong wrong wrong

psk....making that green

was about money and flash right before or at the beginning of the ? fast money era.

kool g had a style to work with. to build on. to refer to. an being a new York cat....he had that to build on a refer to.

hanging with the real 50cent
    Scarface
    he had alot to build on.

he's my top lyricist... always will be.

but scholly was first. parkside was wild as fukk back then....but still wasn't touching North.

The track doesn't sound like Gangsta Rap
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    https://youtu.be/lwY7-aYS2-A
    6min mark they talk about the origins of gangsta rap. Ice T credits Schooly D
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Schoolly D been on that gangster ?

......also speaking of "gangster"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5UaRa86cOw
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Schooly D. Ice T and Just Ice.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    G Rap one of my favorites of all time. His verse on The Symphony is always top 10.
  • LOLCL
    LOLCL Members Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    G Rap one of my favorites of all time. His verse on The Symphony is always top 10.

He's definitely one of the greatest lyricists/story tellers ever but claiming to be the first gangsta rapper when it's well documented it was Schooly D that influenced the beginning of it's roots. I have a lot of respect for him as an artist regardless, but I hate when people claim themselves as something like this.

But we could do the math - Schooly D dropped in 1985, Ice T's six in da morning came out in 1986 at some point - does anyone have any recorded Kool G from before this time period that is gangsta rap?
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ROAD TO THE RICHES & WANTED: DOA ARE MORE REALITY RAP THAN "GANGSTER RAP"

LIVE & LET DIE IS WHERE THE GANGSTA ? REALLY GOT EXAGGERATED...
    HE WAS WORKING W/ SIR JINX ON THAT ALBUM...
    THE WEST COAST INFLUENCE (OF THE EARLY 90'S) WAS ALL OVER THAT ONE...

• king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just Ice first album was gangster
  • StreetRap
    Options
    Id like to see Joe Budden and Akedemics discuss this topic or anyone who wants to debate

Kool G Rap has his reason he believes he is the first let's hear the other points of view
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For me G Rap was more the first oldskool rapper to come with the new skool flow (i might be corrected) and more the first GANGSTER rapper in that he was the first to spit mafiaso rhymes... Still in my top 5 DOA...
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kool did birth alot of rappers tho
  • THE_R_
    Options
    Id like to see Joe Budden and Akedemics discuss this topic or anyone who wants to debate

Kool G Rap has his reason he believes he is the first let's hear the other points of view

AFTER WATCHING THIS VIDEO...
    I FEEL LIKE KOOL G. RAP DIDN'T WANT THE "1ST GANGSTER RAPPER" TITLE...
    THIS WAS MORESO DJ VULTURE'S DOING...

• king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Never knew Large Professor did a lot of producing for him too, another underrated cat on the IC
  • bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Never knew Large Professor did a lot of producing for him too, another underrated cat on the IC

There was an interview that Large Pro did a while back stating that he didn't get credit for producing some of the tracks off the album.
  • lethal5
    lethal5 Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I've heard the Large Pro ghost producing alot of ? back then, stories. When I heard Kool G Raps old song Truly Yours, i thought that may have been one of his ghostwritten tracks....it uses the same horn loop Large Pro used on Illmatic song It Ain't Hard To Tell for Nas....but that could be just a coincidence

I also heard he wasnt credited with some beats done for Eric B & Rakim....but once again, those could be just rumors
  • THE_R_
    Options
    LARGE PRO DID THE ENTIRE WANTED DOA ALBUM...

ERIC B. GOT CREDIT TOO...
    BUT WE ALL KNOW DUDE HAS GHOST-PRODUCERS & GHOST-SCRATCHERS...
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOLCL wrote: »

He's definitely one of the greatest lyricists/story tellers ever but claiming to be the first gangsta rapper when it's well documented it was Schooly D that influenced the beginning of it's roots. I have a lot of respect for him as an artist regardless, but I hate when people claim themselves as something like this.

But we could do the math - Schooly D dropped in 1985, Ice T's six in da morning came out in 1986 at some point - does anyone have any recorded Kool G from before this time period that is gangsta rap?

You could do the math, but first you'd have to define the term "gangsta rap". Without a clear definition we could debate this topic ad nauseam.

If you define "gangsta rap" as rap music with a lot of cursing Schooly D might have been first with P.S.K.

2 Live Crew came out around the same time circa 1985/86.

But if you define "gangsta rap" as the art of rapping about street life, Too $hort might have been first with Girl (Thats Your Life) which came out in 1985.

Then you have 8 Million Stories by Kurtis Blow feat Run DMC. In the last verse Kurtis tells us a story about a drug dealer who gets hooked on freebase and gunned down. 8 Million Stories came out in 1984

Fast Life by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hyde also came out in 1984. There's no cursing but they talk about life in the streets.

Then of course there's The Message by Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5. That could be considered the beginning of Gangsta rap, but again it all depends on how you define "gangsta rap"