As Chicago’s Black Population Plunges, Whites Flock To Near Downtown

Options
9TRAY
9TRAY Members Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

mz8e8wc8xpd1.jpg

Though Chicago’s overall population fell for the third consecutive year in 2016, U.S. Census Bureau data shows new white residents are flocking to neighborhoods adjacent to downtown while black residents are fleeing some of the city’s most violent neighborhoods in droves.

“The decline in black population really accounts for a lot of the loss,” said Rob Paral, head of a Chicago-based demographic research and consulting firm. “The difference is that the white population is either growing or staying the same.”

Englewood, West Englewood and Austin were home to a combined 188,992 black residents in 2000. In 2015, those same three neighborhoods had 135,831 black residents — a 28 percent decrease — according to Census data.

In that 15-year period, those three neighborhoods combined to see more than 5,600 murders and nonfatal shootings, according to Chicago Police Department data.

Meanwhile, the rapidly developing West Town, the Near North Side and Near West Side areas saw their combined population grow from 96,573 in 2000 to 137,102 in 2015 — a 42 percent increase, data show.

The rapid white population boom has been most acutely felt on the Near West Side where development, particularly in the West Loop area, has increased dramatically in recent years. In 2000, 11,731 white people called the Near West Side home. By 2015, that number grew to 25,876.

The city’s overall black population has plunged since 2000. At the start of this century it was just over 1 million. Fifteen years later it was 840,188.

The white population also decreased in that time period, though not nearly as dramatically, falling from 907,166 to 874,876.

As a whole, the city went from about 2.9 million residents to 2.7 million in that time, data show.

In a report published after the 2010 Census, Paral noted that, as black residents left the city, the black population in the south suburbs saw a healthy increase.

Sam Charles

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/as-chicagos-black-population-plunges-whites-flock-to-near-downtown/amp/
uwt9mqsqstcn.jpg

n6deuaqsaygs.jpg

Comments

• Maywood
    Maywood Members Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They can have that Overrated ? ...I'll continue to put my feet up In these Quiet Suburbs
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    pachá12 wrote: »
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    I am not even going to read. White folks are liars and particularly those who are in pursuit of new business opportunities. I believe with all my might that White folks have been and will always be behind the violence in our neighborhoods. With the objective being to devalue Black Neighborhoods to drive down property values which discouraging us from buying in these neighborhoods and keep Blacks constantly moving while Whites walk in and setup stable neighborhoods backed by city and state.

They will keep selling us a narrative to hate ourselves and each other. Instead of encouraging Blacks to own these neighborhoods they encourage us to get out only to go some where else and rent.

Could you elaborate on that? This seems like an internal issue within the black community of Chicago. In the videos of people getting killed, I have honestly not seen one white person. I'll readily blame white people when necessary, but I also can be objective enough to recognize self inflicted wounds amongst our people.

It's not only an internal issue. Blacks in all inner cities which are labeled high crime areas by whites I might add have Blacks that work extremely hard to change the conditions in their neighborhoods. Most are doing so with minimal to no resources at all.

The outside influences are far more heinous. You have drugs and guns that are brought in by outsiders, you have rouge cops and politicians who are doing illegal business in these types of neighborhoods. Are there some bad apples in these neighborhoods? Yes. But there are bad apples in every neighborhood of every ethnicity. I just don't think these other ethnic groups are in the business of destroying their own. So, considering that Blacks are this countries doormat. They come and dump all of their thrash in majority Black neighborhoods. Liquor, unhealthy food, cigarettes, guns, drugs, etc etc.
  • pachá12
    pachá12 Members Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I see what you're saying. At the same time I believe there to be a lack of accountability. Speaking for my city, there are efforts being made to improve. There are resources to rehabilitate the community. Instead of gentrifying, they tore down high crime projects and built mixed income apartments and homes. Drugs are a part of the equation, trying to place blame somewhere else is unnecessary because finding excuses and pointing fingers slows progress. Plus, with all due respect, fact or no, I don't know one black person that would consider themselves anybodys doormat. What the black community needs is the mindset of wanting to do better and to succeed, helping and looking out for each other. There is a nice walking bridge here that i can't even take my kids to because three ? got shot a couple days ago, the bad seeds are stopping the progress.
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'd move out of Chicago, too. Cost of living sucks up there lol.
  • yellowtapesport
    yellowtapesport Members Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Happening in every city
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cost of living is high, with no decent pay jobs there, unless you working in downtown.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    pachá12 wrote: »
    I am not even going to read. White folks are liars and particularly those who are in pursuit of new business opportunities. I believe with all my might that White folks have been and will always be behind the violence in our neighborhoods. With the objective being to devalue Black Neighborhoods to drive down property values which discouraging us from buying in these neighborhoods and keep Blacks constantly moving while Whites walk in and setup stable neighborhoods backed by city and state.

They will keep selling us a narrative to hate ourselves and each other. Instead of encouraging Blacks to own these neighborhoods they encourage us to get out only to go some where else and rent.

Could you elaborate on that? This seems like an internal issue within the black community of Chicago. In the videos of people getting killed, I have honestly not seen one white person. I'll readily blame white people when necessary, but I also can be objective enough to recognize self inflicted wounds amongst our people.

It's not only an internal issue. Blacks in all inner cities which are labeled high crime areas by whites I might add have Blacks that work extremely hard to change the conditions in their neighborhoods. Most are doing so with minimal to no resources at all.

The outside influences are far more heinous. You have drugs and guns that are brought in by outsiders, you have rouge cops and politicians who are doing illegal business in these types of neighborhoods. Are there some bad apples in these neighborhoods? Yes. But there are bad apples in every neighborhood of every ethnicity. I just don't think these other ethnic groups are in the business of destroying their own. So, considering that Blacks are this countries doormat. They come and dump all of their thrash in majority Black neighborhoods. Liquor, unhealthy food, cigarettes, guns, drugs, etc etc.
    This is the same thing I said in that other Chicago thread. People have to be accountable for their actions but children growing up in that type of environment learn the wrong things and fall into the pits.

What do you expect a kid to do when the wrong things are normal to them and that's all they know how to live? I said before how leaving those type of neighborhoods completely changed my view of the world.

Where I came from you either played sports, sold dope, or worked a regular 9-5 and had no knowledge of owning a home or having a career.

As a kid I thought fighting everyday was normal because that's what I did and I was not even 10 years old when I was in several fights in school and on the block.

Whites was living in my old projects before they moved blacks in and suddenly things got bad. I wonder why? Drugs and guns were not an issue until they threw blacks in the projects during the 80s.
  • J-GUTTA
    J-GUTTA Members Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maywood wrote: »
    They can have that Overrated ? ...I'll continue to put my feet up In these Quiet Suburbs

@Maywood by your SN Maywood aint exactly Suburb playboy. I live in the city and only really picture myself living in the city. I work downtown too though.
  • godoffun
    godoffun Members Posts: 203 ✭✭
    Options
    ? happened in Harlem and now whites are taking over brooklyn queens and the bronx
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    I see most of the gentrification happening in areas that was already either diverse from what I can tell like some parts of up north like Rodgers Park or places like wicker park, Pilsen/UIC area. Some parts near UC. Is it bad this is happening ? Yes. Not a coincidence that once section 8 vouchers started to work for suburban towns, people packed up and left
  • TheNuttinProffessor
    TheNuttinProffessor Members Posts: 460 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was riding down Madison and saw white ppl settin up shop on Latrobe. It's gonna be over wit in 29 yrs
  • Maywood
    Options
    @J-GUTTA You Feds????? Tell me something I don't know ? ...was Raised In Maywood all my Life, wouldn't live there to save my life as an adult.....Don't you live Up north tho,this convo kinda excludes you my guy...This plan has been in the works since I been in 5th grade...I'm not looking down on the city ,but ? lets be real this is about Reversing all that Violence from the South/West sides to one area or worse....
  • J-GUTTA
    J-GUTTA Members Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maywood wrote: »
    @J-GUTTA You Feds????? Tell me something I don't know ? ...was Raised In Maywood all my Life, wouldn't live there to save my life as an adult.....Don't you live Up north tho,this convo kinda excludes you my guy...This plan has been in the works since I been in 5th grade...I'm not looking down on the city ,but ? lets be real this is about Reversing all that Violence from the South/West sides to one area or worse....

@Maywood LOL no feds. Yeah I live up North (North Park) I love my area too. But when my family 1st moved to Chicago we lived in L.P. which use to be a Latino hood look at it now. Even Lakeview was hood. Lakeview Highschool went as far as to change the mascot name to cut off it's former hood label.

Gentrification is a double edge sword IMO. No one wants the ? violence in the neighborhoods but why the hipsters have to ve the ones to come in and save the hood.

• Maywood
    Options
    IDK bruh I mean ,the violence Is what angers me more from my people "gangbangers" more than anything.That Gentrification ? Is phony outrage IMO..That ? seems to me like it will never change..You said you love your area, That's how everyone Is Supposed to feel about their neighborhood...Alot of people unfortunately ,don't know what it feels like to sleep w/the balcony door open w/no threat of violence, I mean I'm not saying ? just to say but living on Independence & Flournoy or Laramie & Lake will definitely have you say yeah let's Shake this ? up a bit...lol but I respect ya opinion yty7u42ldik9.gif@J-GUTTA
  • rebootx1
    rebootx1 Members Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can safely say they are messing with the numbers when it comes to violent acts in chicago, they report suburb and surrounding areas as Chicago. They had a couple Gary Indiana shootings on there.
  • mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? mickey cobras
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »

People will say to take off your tinfoil hat but you basically described the real intent of gentrification. Word to Furious Styles.

"They want us to ? ourselves"

? me up watching that when I was older and really took in that scene
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    It's happening to Detroit right now at an accelerated rate. In 5-10 years Detroit will be filled with white people way more than it is now.

• b'mer...
    b'mer... Members Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Undefeatable
    Undefeatable Members Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The real question is, why do so few black people gentrify?

And the answer is that negros love the suburbs.

But then the question becomes: why do black people love the suburbs so much?

And the answer to this question is -- or part of the answer is -- that negros take black people's residence in somewhat rough areas as more indicative of a person's class status than others do.

E.g.:

White person A: "So where do you live?"

White person B: "[somewhat rough area X, but on the gentrification track]"

White person A: (Thinking) "OK, this dude an adventuresome hipster or hippy, though he could still be a professional]."

But

Black person A: "So where do you live?"

Black person B: "[somewhat rough area X, but on the gentrification track]"

Black person A: (Thinking) "He poor/hood."
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »

People will say to take off your tinfoil hat but you basically described the real intent of gentrification. Word to Furious Styles.

its the truth in every black hood this happens. No one helps no outside resources for them... borded up house bad projects... gov will buy out the hood folk with section 8 vouchers allowing them affordable housing else where thenall of a sudden condos are built and resources brought in for them... from Harlem to Atl to Chicago its the same thing
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Happening in every city

yep 3rd ward in Houston is a prime example. that ? is being rebuilt into luxury condos but when black folks were paying taxes and complaining for better neighborhoods and living conditions our cries were falling on deaf ears