Name An MC That Got Demoted From Your Top 10

Options
5 Grand
5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
I can think of two; KRS and Eminem

KRS was one of my favorite MCs in High School. He had thought provoking lyrics and I thought he was a so-called "conscious MC" (whatever that means). As I got older I realized that the white man was using KRS as a ? . They propped him up and gave him the moniker "the teacher" and put him on the cover of The Source. But in hindsight, his message was ambiguous. He went from Stop The Violence In Hip Hop to throwing PM Dawn off the stage...to battling Nelly and losing.

KRS always said that knowledge of African history is important, which I admired when I was 15. Now that I'm in my 40s, I realize that money management is more important than African history. All things considered Jay Z's message makes more sense than KRS's message, whatever it is. Criminal Minded is still a classic though.

As far as Slim Shady, I had Eminem ranked because he sold a lot of records and he was nice with the pen. But in all honesty, I never really dug his music. He has a few songs I like but not enough and according to his fans, he hasn't dropped a solid album in almost 15 years.

Comments