Disney’s Live-Action ‘Aladdin’ Movie Struggles to Find Stars of Middle Eastern or Indian Descent

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
Disney is in a whole new world of trouble. The live-action adaptation of Aladdin is reportedly struggling to cast its lead roles of Aladdin and Jasmine, the street rat and the Arabian princess who stole each other’s (and our) hearts in the classic 1992 animated film.

Disney and director Guy Ritchie are intent on finding an unknown actor and actress of Middle Eastern or Indian descent, as the animated movie takes place in the fictional Middle Eastern city of Agrabah. However, because Aladdin will continuing Beauty and the Beast‘s trend of adapting the musical elements of the animated films, Disney and Ritchie are having trouble finding stars of color who can act and sing.

Disney, Ritchie, and casting director Randi Hiller launched a massive global casting call in March to find the stars of the live-action adaptation of Aladdin, but 2,000 actors and actress auditions later, the team have been unable to find leads in their 20s who can sing and act.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the original casting call had planned for production to begin in July, but Disney and Ritchie have been forced to go back to the drawing board.

“The test process was a mess,” a casting agent told THR, commenting on the several rounds of tests that took place in London, with actors coming in for up to two weeks at a time.

Though Ritchie is intent on finding his diamond in the rough for the lead roles like Lily James for Cinderella or Neel Sethi for Mowgli in The Jungle Book, THR reports that the studio at one point was eyeing Dev Patel or Riz Ahmed. Ahmed would have been an inspired choice because he is a musician who has featured on the Hamilton mix tape — albeit a rapper that goes by the name Riz MC — when he is not an actor. The team presumably doesn’t want to take away too much of the star focus from Will Smith, who is playing the buoyant, supernatural wish-granter Genie, who was played by the scene-stealing Robin Williams in the animated film.

The long and troubled search has compelled the casting crew to reach out to movie-musical veterans Marc Platt, who has produced musicals and worked on Disney’s upcoming Mary Poppins Returns, and Chris Montan, an established executive music producer for Disney’s animated films, to consult on the project. There are a few names on the shortlist for Aladdin, THR reports.

Who Is Being Considered?

Aladdin: Dutch actor Achraf Koutet, Canadian actor Mena Massoud and American actor George Kosturos.

Jasmine: Naomi Scott, a half-Indian actress who played Kimberly in the new Power Rangers, and Indian actress Tara Sutaria.

http://www.slashfilm.com/disneys-live-action-aladdin-movie-struggles-to-find-stars-of-middle-eastern-or-indian-descent/

Comments

• Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    1.5 BILLION people live in India

Bollywood is a billion dollar industry

But they cant find someone who can sing and act?

THANK YOU!!!

Utter bs. What they really lookin for is a muthafuccas who has a LITTLE indian/mid east blood, but has white in them as well to appease to the white folks.

• Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    1.5 BILLION people live in India

Bollywood is a billion dollar industry

But they cant find someone who can sing and act?

Not to mention that like g mentioned in his post above a lot of those Bollywood joints are musicals like Aladdin will be.

Seems like a bogus excuse to me. Like they just want to have pre-emptive justification for when they whitewash Jasmine or Aladdin when they don't cast an Indian or Arab in the roles.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bollywood is the largest film industry in the world. It can't be that difficult to hire a Bollywood casting director to find people. I'm glad no one is buying this ? .
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    them Indians so white washed they dont even wanna be considered
  • TheNightKing
    TheNightKing Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Not up on Bollywood much. Do many of them have heavy Indian accents? If so, that could be part of the issue with casting someone from Bollywood.
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can get my girl priyanka chopra (from quantico) to play jasmine. She an actress and a singer and she Indian and did I mention she bad?

2duxj4m.jpg

Damn she fine
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hire Dis Neega To Play The Tiger

547cf49905fc9_-_naveen-andrews-lost-msc.jpg
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    charles2 wrote: »
    Not up on Bollywood much. Do many of them have heavy Indian accents? If so, that could be part of the issue with casting someone from Bollywood.

Over 100 million English speakers in that country. I'm sure you can find one who doesn't speak like Apu.
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can get my girl priyanka chopra (from quantico) to play jasmine. She an actress and a singer and she Indian and did I mention she bad?

2duxj4m.jpg

This is the chick that didnt want to be will smith love intrest in a bollywood movie
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

2duxj4m.jpg

This is the chick that didnt want to be will smith love intrest in a bollywood movie

What Bollywood movie was will smith in?
  • TheNightKing
    TheNightKing Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    charles2 wrote: »

Over 100 million English speakers in that country. I'm sure you can find one who doesn't speak like Apu.

Yeah, but you know they not just going to throw the part at just anyone, even though it did seem that way for Belle in Beauty and the Beast. Me and the kids called it Decent and the Beast, lol.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nawledge_? wrote: »
    Hire Dis Neega To Play The Tiger

547cf49905fc9_-_naveen-andrews-lost-msc.jpg

He'd make a good Jafar. Ya'll know your suggestions are too dark. They looking for those white Arabs and Indians.
  • HundredEyes
    HundredEyes Members Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So we're just gonna lump arabs n Indians together? lol. Ol Asians are all the same folk lmao.

Disappointed in Guy Ritchie man...did they really say they couldn't find an Indian who couldn't sing n act?

But looks like a fellow dutchman is gonna play alladin though.

Guess every disadvantage has an advantage lmao
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

2duxj4m.jpg

Link?
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

2duxj4m.jpg

What Bollywood movie was will smith in?

It never happened
  • nj2089
    nj2089 Members Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol can't just cast someone if they look like them when they gotta know how to sing and act
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Get Aziz Ansari to play the monkey

they better get gilbert Gottfried to play iago.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    fortyacres wrote: »
    just give it to Dev Patel , the dude already looks like Aladdin

dev-patel1.jpg

He reportedly rejected it. Him and Riz Ahmed. I don't blame them

Guy Ritchie is also toxic. All he does is unwanted remakes and they always tank...