Yay or Nay: Familial DNA Searches

Options
Plutarch
Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2017 in For The Grown & Sexy
I don't know about you, but this is news to me. Apparently, familial DNA searches are relatively new and, because of their controversial nature, are only allowed in nine states...so far.

How would you feel if you were under investigation (and possibly charged or convicted) based on a partial DNA match that was taken from a relative who was once taken in by the penal system?

How would you feel if a loved one became a victim of a crime, and a familial DNA search could possibly help identify the perpetrator and bring you justice/revenge?

And how does this fare for black folks (in addition to possibly violating American citizens' rights)? Not good, according to the second article below.

So what say you?

Yay or Nay: Familial DNA Searches 10 votes

Yay, generally speaking
20%
mc317StoneColdMikey 2 votes
Nay, generally speaking
80%
bambuCabana_Da_DonatribecalledgabiCashmoneyDuxTrillfateonetoughmiracleKingFreemanHundredEyes 8 votes
Other (specify)
0%

Comments

• Plutarch
    Options
    What Is a Familial DNA Search?

A familial DNA search is a search by law enforcement in DNA databases for genetic information indicating a relative of a person they seek to identify. When a search for an exact match to a DNA sample comes up fruitless, a familial DNA search may bring back a partial match, indicating a sibling, child, parent or other blood relative. For example, DNA from a crime scene might not match any DNA in state or federal databases, but if the person's son had been recently incarcerated and thus his information entered into a state DNA database, a familial DNA search could lead police to the son, and ultimately to their suspect.

Gender and Familial DNA Searches

Current forms of familial DNA searches work only with men. This is because techniques in common use to determine exact familial relations involve analysis of similarities on the Y chromosome. Familial DNA searches as we know them today do not identify exact relatives of a female DNA sample, or female relatives of a male DNA sample.

Familial DNA Searches and Privacy Concerns

While law enforcement may see familial DNA searches as a powerful new tool to track down suspected criminals, civil liberties advocates have criticized familial DNA searches as an invasion of privacy. They argue that familial DNA searching encroaches on the privacy of the relatives of those whose DNA has been collected through the penal system, in violation of the Fourth Amendment's protection against unreasonable searches.

Conclusion

A familial DNA search is a search of DNA databases for relatives of a given DNA sample. Partial DNA matches from familial searches can provide likely identification of siblings, parents, children and other blood relatives. Current familial DNA searches only identify male relatives of male DNA samples. A small, but increasing number of states officially allow familial DNA searches. The states which use familial searches differ in when they allow such searches. Some states allow traditional DNA searches (for a full match) to include partial match information in reported results, when an explicit familial search has not been requested.

Free Criminal Case Review

Familial DNA searches are one way for investigators to discover new evidence in a case. If you're facing criminal charges based on a familial DNA search or if you object to the providing DNA to authorities, a skilled criminal defense attorney can advise you of your options and ensure that your rights are protected. Contact a local attorney today for a free case review.

Source: Familial DNA Searches
  • Plutarch
    Options
    "Familial DNA Searches: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know"
    Familial DNA analysis is a controversial method used to track suspects in crimes by using the genetic material of their relatives.

It’s come up in some very high profile cases. In New York, the Queens District Attorney and NYPD chief have called on the state to allow familial DNA testing, saying it might solve the case of murdered jogger Karina Vetrano. Her father has joined in the call for the testing.

“The victim, her family, and the public deserve justice and we have an obligation to use every means at our disposal to identify the murderer,” said Queens DA Richard Brown, according to The New York Post.

Familial DNA testing is controversial with civil liberties advocates who say it’s wrong for family members to be investigated by police when they did not commit a crime.

Only nine American states use familial DNA testing, although the tests are also conducted in some countries in Europe.

3. Civil Liberty Advocates Think Familial DNA Searching Violates the U.S. Constitution

The problem with familial DNA testing in the minds of some civil liberties advocates: It places people under investigation who have done nothing wrong solely because they’re related to someone who may have committed a crime. One article published by the American Bar Association called familial DNA searches “suspicionless, generalized, and arbitrary.”

Some people believe this violates the Fourth Amendment Constitutional prohibition against search and seizure. Wired.com tells the story of man in New Orleans, Michael Usry, who fell under suspicion after familial DNA testing partially matched DNA his father gave for a genealogy project even though he was later cleared in the murder under investigation.

Some people have argued that familial DNA will lead to more poor and minority defendants in the criminal justice system because of the disproportionate amount of DNA profiles for such groups already in the system.

Source: Familial DNA Searches: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Nay, generally speaking
    That's why I laugh at people doing those ancestry dna and that 23andme dna analysis packs.
    https://youtu.be/J0ZiYcSkcks
    ? around.
  • bambu
    bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Nay, generally speaking
    Do not consent to give away your DNA.....

• atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Nay, generally speaking
    That's why I laugh at people doing those ancestry dna and that 23andme dna analysis packs.
    ? around.

One of them ? is owned by Mormons so they can trace everybody's lineage. I was interested in doing it too but I was like no ma'am once I heard that.
  • rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ditto! Sending my ? DNA 2 some Devilish, Perverted, Pedophilic, ? Hating Hunkies 4 what! They extracting the melatonin.
  • bambu
    bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Nay, generally speaking
    ? around.

One of them ? is owned by Mormons so they can trace everybody's lineage. I was interested in doing it too but I was like no ma'am once I heard that.

The Mormons have one of the largest genealogy databases in the world....

I was also originally interested...

But understanding the advances in genomic technology, changed my mind...

They need more samples from African Americans because they are a unique admixture...

European, native American, asian, etc....

About 70% of all African American samples I've seen....

It's problematic at this point due to the pharmaceutical industries creating "medications" based on African American genetic profiles....

Like bidil...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQImvC1OreR2tsYIZ0DnJBpwdt5KY6cAoosAHK6dRZ14vNuUQM9yA

It would almost be believable....

If the company that produces this was not the same laboratory that was the hub of eugenics research in America....

I honestly think they will eventually get them (DNA samples) through other means....

Hospitals, maybe at birth....

If they haven't already started.....

Police in many cities ask for a sample in during routine traffic stops....

It is voluntary as of this moment....

Or mandatory in cases of "severe offense"...

The supreme court snuck this one through in 2013...

https://youtu.be/t0JY0cg7IDg

• CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nay, generally speaking
    Bidil was ? too...