The three most significant events of the 21st century (so far)

Options
Mister B.
Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
I know were only 18 years into (17 if we're counting 2001 as the official start of the 21st century), but a lot of events have gone down so far that have really made the world stop.

So, the question here is what do you think are the three most major events that have impact the world so far, and where were you when they happened:

My three....

1) 9/11: Almost self-explanitory at this point. American Islamophobia didn't exist until this happened. The country changed that day, and not for the better. As a sophmore in college, I was able to understand just how ? up that ? was. EVERYTHING in America shut down for a week. Air travel hasn't been pleasant since.

2) Nov. 4, 2008 - the election of Barack Obama: the whole world celebrated this. looking back on it now, even though Obeezie's presidency was great, but not as spectacular as we would've guessed by then, his election night was a real sight to see. I never seen so many people happy a man won the POTUS, not just in America, but worldwide. Regardless of how his tenure in office played out, that night was some glorious ? . I saw it on my way home from the Wilmington, DE Democratic Election Party (my soon-to-be father-in-law won the City Council Presidency that night, too). Great night all around.

3) June 25, 2009 - The Day Michael Jackson died: Damn. Mike wasn't an "A"-list celebrity; he was his own list by the time of his death. Honestly, you could make a really good case that Mike was THE most famous celebrity in world history. I mean, that ? shut the Internet DOWN.; mass visuals were held, London did a city-wide Moonwalk across London Bridge, and allegedly, 12 people committed suicide due to the grief. ? . I was at work, and on the way home, every radio station played his ? . I stopped at a red light, and did a move out my car, but that was about it.

You?

Comments

• Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    9/11: I was 11 and my parents were hesitant to send me to school. Ended up going anyway, but it didn't matter all we did for the remainder of that week was watch the news. My teacher was ? up about it and it was all that was on tv. I remember cartoon network even airing commercials of a RIP to those in 9/11

War with Iraq: still kind of connected with 9/11, but we were on a rampage and I remember heading to school that morning and the news had a live countdown of when bombs were going to drop on baghdad. Timer hit 0:00 and all you could see is spots in the city getting lit up. Another day where I went to school and all we did is watch the news.

Campaign race 2016 ? was just crazy.
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Three is really hard to pinpoint cause there were a lot of significant things so ill try for 5.

9/11 - self explanatory

Obama being elected - first black president

Trump being elected - continuation of Bush being elected where a huge chunk of the country admit they are uneducated and want someone just like them to run the country. I think this gets worse with every election from here on.

Brexit - the beggining of the end for the EU.

The Arab Spring - Middle Eastern countries stood up and demanded change for the first time at such a scale. It was a failure but the significance will be felt in the future when the region finally stabilizes.

The rise of right, religious nationalism - Only putting this here cause the last time this happened we had WW2. Nothing might come of it but ill put it here for the potential signifance.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Katrina
    Tsunami
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1. Bush vs. Gore Supreme Court ruling that officially ended democracy in the US
    2. 9/11
    3. Invasion of Iraq

December 8, 2000 was the date the Supreme Court appointed George W. Bush potus and planet earth hasn't recovered yet. Numbers 2 and 3 are just the results of the 21st century's original sin.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    9/11
    Hurricane Katrina Election of Obama
    Election of Obama economic collapse of 2008

• Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mister B. wrote: »
    I know were only 18 years into (17 if we're counting 2001 as the official start of the 21st century), but a lot of events have gone down so far that have really made the world stop.

So, the question here is what do you think are the three most major events that have impact the world so far, and where were you when they happened:

My three....

1) 9/11: Almost self-explanitory at this point. American Islamophobia didn't exist until this happened. The country changed that day, and not for the better. As a sophmore in college, I was able to understand just how ? up that ? was. EVERYTHING in America shut down for a week. Air travel hasn't been pleasant since.

2) Nov. 4, 2008 - the election of Barack Obama: the whole world celebrated this. looking back on it now, even though Obeezie's presidency was great, but not as spectacular as we would've guessed by then, his election night was a real sight to see. I never seen so many people happy a man won the POTUS, not just in America, but worldwide. Regardless of how his tenure in office played out, that night was some glorious ? . I saw it on my way home from the Wilmington, DE Democratic Election Party (my soon-to-be father-in-law won the City Council Presidency that night, too). Great night all around.

3) June 25, 2009 - The Day Michael Jackson died: Damn. Mike wasn't an "A"-list celebrity; he was his own list by the time of his death. Honestly, you could make a really good case that Mike was THE most famous celebrity in world history. I mean, that ? shut the Internet DOWN.; mass visuals were held, London did a city-wide Moonwalk across London Bridge, and allegedly, 12 people committed suicide due to the grief. ? . I was at work, and on the way home, every radio station played his ? . I stopped at a red light, and did a move out my car, but that was about it.

You?

Id put Katrina over MJ's death

• HerbalVaporCapers
    HerbalVaporCapers Members Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    9/11

Trump's Election

The declaration of the Caliphate

And in typing this out, I've suddenly come to agree with everyone who says I'm a morbid son of a beech
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kaepernick taking a knee...and not on the field
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Islamophobia began in America the moment Elijah Muhammad started the NOI.
  • Undefeatable
    Undefeatable Members Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FoH with MJ's death.
  • Koltrain
    Koltrain Members Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Gwb election... Obvious cheating going on and America electing an idiot.

9/11 The moment where conspiracies started taking on a new meaning. I was a sophomore in hs...whole school shut down.

War in Iraq..further evidence of the gov lying to us..conspiracies take on another new meaning of increased plausibility.

Katrina....George Bush does not care about black people.

The election of Barack Obama. I rode a bus 18 hours to see the inauguration..great moment in history.

Financial collapse of 2008 and foreclosure crises...really shed light on the greed and immorality in America. Further solidified conspiracies.

Mj death.. His aura made him seem invincible.

Trump election: Retaliation for a black president... Uneducated white people voting against their interests like always.

• Koltrain
    Koltrain Members Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ...a lot of ? has come to light this century..
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »
    Your list is pretty good

this.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That Trayvon Martin death was very significant. Til this day his name still makes folks cry
  • warren98
    warren98 Members Posts: 472 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    June 29th 2007

• fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,479 Regulator
    Options
    9/11 - 01
    Facebook - 04
    Iphone - 07
    Barry O - 08

Couldnt pick 3...
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    9/11 is easily number 1 for me and nothing is even close. I'm born and raised in the UK and it changed the course of my life forever. I visited the memorial last year. Amazing and poignant.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    9/11

Trump's Election

The declaration of the Caliphate

And in typing this out, I've suddenly come to agree with everyone who says I'm a morbid son of a beech

Crazy how 9/11 set the course for the IS caliphate to be declared all them years later.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The day hillary got bodied/leading up on the ic

Hahaha! That ? trump will never be president!!

body bag! Priceless
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I will say, Michael Jackson's death was probably the hardest I ever laughed on the IC. The amount of trolling and feelings being caught was absolutely epic.

Thread?