Is this picture accurate or nah?

Options
jono
jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2017 in For The Grown & Sexy
0s4hu075x7e6.jpg
Is this picture accurate? What's your thoughts on the message within?

Is this picture accurate or nah? 36 votes

Yes
8%
[Deleted User]whatevathehellFosheezy 3 votes
No
91%
5th LetterbambuKaianeed123powerman 5000Moore7sPILL_COSBYilledoutCapitalBMr.LVThe Lonious MonkAjackson17BobOblahVulcanRavenmosincredibleValentinez A. KaiserCottonCitySlimtwentyfivelightersPiffyHazeBreezy_Kilroy 33 votes

Comments

• jono
    Options
    Color doesn't define ur future destination but it does determine how hard it will be to get there

You realize that you're agreeing with the picture then, right?
  • jono
    Options
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It must be two sides
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    The cop is ? , the lawyer is a sellout and the defendant is innocent
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes and no, but not in a good way.

? can happen that you can't control as a person of color and you can end up in a ? up spot because of indirect choices you make when you're a person of color. Look at Kalief Browder, Tamir Rice, John Crawford. Choices they made to chill and do ? that everybody else do everyday like play and go to the store cost them their lives after they were targeted because of the color of their skin. Your cards definitely have to be lined up for you not fail, let alone get in a position where you're not a legal slave. The margin for error for us is a lot different than it is for a white boy. ? can go bad real fast.
  • VulcanRaven
    edited July 2017
    Options
    No
    Sion wrote: »
    Obama made a choice to run for president, Reginald Lewis made a choice to go into business, Oprah made a choice to go into media, Ving Rhames made a choice to go to Julliard to stay away from the streets. Racism is real but what are you gonna do next ? Your future is in your hands. Challenges are apart of the game but it's on you to face them and overcome them.

Your experience in Canada is different from the USA though @Sion. On the surface you are right, but blacks have been setup and continue to get setup. You heard about the Central Park Six right? The black school system is also trash and drugs have been pumped into black neighborhoods so much that even if you are not apart of it you get caught up in it just because. They are stereotyping blacks just because of the area they live in.

That is why Freddie Grey and many others are dead. I told this story before. My mother wanted to buy a house in Harford Country (a nice neighborhood) and they told her the house flooded. We went back up there and saw people viewing the house as it was still open. I literally could be another statistic as could any black person.

Look at Allen Iverson's story when they sent him to jail for something he didn't do or the story of the Hurricane (who ironically moved to Canada to live out the rest of his life) or once again the Central Park Six. My cousin's father did 20 years for a murder he didn't commit. The game is rigged in this country. ask Kaepernick right now.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    No
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • VulcanRaven
    edited July 2017
    Options
    No
    Obama made a choice to run for president, Reginald Lewis made a choice to go into business, Oprah made a choice to go into media, Ving Rhames made a choice to go to Julliard to stay away from the streets. Racism is real but what are you gonna do next ? Your future is in your hands. Challenges are apart of the game but it's on you to face them and overcome them.

Your experience in Canada is different from the USA though @Sion. On the surface you are right, but blacks have been setup and continue to get setup. You heard about the Central Park Six right? The black school system is also trash and drugs have been pumped into black neighborhoods so much that even if you are not apart of it you get caught up in it just because. They are stereotyping blacks just because of the area they live in.

That is why Freddie Grey and many others are dead. I told this story before. My mother wanted to buy a house in Harford Country (a nice neighborhood) and they told her the house flooded. We went back up there and saw people viewing the house as it was still open. I literally could be another statistic as could any black person.

Look at Allen Iverson's story when they sent him to jail for something he didn't do or the story of the Hurricane (who ironically moved to Canada to live out the rest of his life) or once again the Central Park Six. My cousin's father did 20 years for a murder he didn't commit. The game is rigged in this country. ask Kaepernick right now.

I knew someone was gonna bring up "but you're in Canada" as if to say one place is less racist than another. Ironic you bring up Rueben Hurricane Carter too. That ? is apart of the game and you'll find those obstacles anywhere in the world. But you have to persevere through it. There will never be an "ideal" moment or place there will always be questions and/or challenges whether it's racism, competition, whatever. It's apart of the game and you can't ignore it. There will never be equal footing for everyone because the system isn't perfect and we live in a nation where everything is a zero sum game.

It's no obstacle. It's a setup. The Canada thing is not a negative. I know racism is there, but their is no history of slavery that still fuels white supremacy and blacks were always free there. I have it in my mind to one day move to Canada because as long as there is no system of oppression than I can deal with it. Maybe the grass is greener, I don't know but at least I can believe for now.

The things I have seen since I was a kid were people trapped despite what they did right only to be held back or passed on because they were black. Just making a decision is not that cut and dry. Hip Hop was held back until whites saw it could make them money, networks like MTV never played black music til Michael Jackson, blacks were kept out of sports though they were better until they saw it could make money, blacks were not allowed to be in movies except as a racial role at pone point, they were not allowed to eat, sleep or even use the bathrooms at certain places.

Couldn't sit at the front of the bus and still are treated as second class ...10nth rate citizens behind dogs here. What choice did Philando Castile or Tameer Rice make? I refuse to blame the problems that exist today on the victims who are doing the right thing. People make bad choices, yes, but there is a system to ? up those that make the good choices.
  • jono
    Options
    2 men and a boy.

This dont add up.

Needs to be equal.

3 men then it would be a fair assesment.

Cause upon adulthood we are given a choice on how we want to enter society.

Fair enough. Let's look at it from this perspective:
    qej3mfctp42k.jpg
    Michael Eric Dyson and his blood brother. Grew up in the same house, in the same town and had the same circumstances. One is in prison, the other is an author and a professor.
  • jono
    Options
    The issue here is that we seem to be normalizing the Philando Castile cases and the Tamir Rices while missing that those are aberrations and not a normal course of action.

Over 100,000 people per day interact with the police, only a sliver of those end up in violence of any kind and of that sliver then even fewer end in death.
  • jono
    Options

I knew someone was gonna bring up "but you're in Canada" as if to say one place is less racist than another. Ironic you bring up Rueben Hurricane Carter too. That ? is apart of the game and you'll find those obstacles anywhere in the world. But you have to persevere through it. There will never be an "ideal" moment or place there will always be questions and/or challenges whether it's racism, competition, whatever. It's apart of the game and you can't ignore it. There will never be equal footing for everyone because the system isn't perfect and we live in a nation where everything is a zero sum game.

This is a good point. There's no utopian concept of equality,but not only does it no exist but it doesn't exist ANYWHERE in the WORLD.

That said inequality sometimes limits choices. It can also manipulate the human mind. One only sees certain answers to making it because they lack access or proper education.
  • VulcanRaven
    Options
    No
    FYI. Barack didn't become President because he wanted to. He became President because whites allowed it and used him as a scapegoat till this day though Trump has been in office for six months now. He took the rap for the mess that Busch created. You just don't know how foul and twisted this country is man. That's a fact. It's pure evil at it's core.
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    2 men and a boy.

This dont add up.

Needs to be equal.

qej3mfctp42k.jpg
    Michael Eric Dyson and his blood brother. Grew up in the same house, in the same town and had the same circumstances. One is in prison, the other is an author and a professor.

I bet even tho they brothers they encountered different things in eachothers life. Michael prolly saw things his brother did and learned from them.

The meme is dumb because its tryn to completely ignore racism in life.

Not every black male lives the exact same life, sees the same things, encounters the same people.

...not even the black males who live in the same household
  • bambu
    bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    Mental slavery is a dangerous thing. Racism has always been around and yet many people even before the civil rights era managed to defy the odds and become enormously successful.

That's not a popular thing to say in America. While racism and systemic racism makes things challenging, by and far it is largely the choices you make that dictate your future. Your future is YOUR responsibility and you can't change that responsibility. You can however neglect to understand that and find a lot of excuses tho SMMFH.

That's a ? up thing to say.....

How many didn't....

Did they choose to get lynched?????

Do you choose to be born into poverty....

Does everyone born into poverty have the means to escape and be successful????

• jono
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    jono wrote: »
    2 men and a boy.

This dont add up.

Needs to be equal.

qej3mfctp42k.jpg

I bet even tho they brothers they encountered different things in each others life. Michael prolly saw things his brother did and learned from them.

The meme is dumb because its tryn to completely ignore racism in life.

Not every black male lives the exact same life, sees the same things, encounters the same people.

...not even the black males who live in the same household

True that. Its a very important point.

You don't choose who you interact with in random encounters, schools, workplaces, schools etc.

They could have also been born with different natural gifts or mentalities.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    No
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    Madame_CJSkywalker Members Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    No
    Nope

Not to say that the decisions dont matter

But we ultimately have to navigate our life plans in an environment of constraints, rules, regulations that we as individuals have no control over

And race plays a big role in what opportunities and decisions you are afforded / presents with beginning from the crib
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    Madame_CJSkywalker Members Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    FYI. Barack didn't become President because he wanted to. He became President because whites allowed it

And it took the most clean cut, exceptional blk man to even get the opportunity

While mediocre white men stay in the white house
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    FYI. Barack didn't become President because he wanted to. He became President because whites allowed it and used him as a scapegoat till this day though Trump has been in office for six months now. He took the rap for the mess that Busch created. You just don't know how foul and twisted this country is man. That's a fact. It's pure evil at it's core.

The first half of this post is very true. Second half is conjecture. I only say that because every President inherits his predecessor's mess.

One of the reasons Papa Bush only had one term was cause whites were mad at him for Reagan policies that were not instated till he was in the white house. Mind you a lot of those policies were encouraged by him as Reagan's vice pres so his hands were not exactly clean.

Nevertheless Clinton went through the same ? . Having to clean up Papa Bush's mess because he was blamed for a lot of the ? Papa Bush set up just cause he was the one sitting in office. Bush Jr. also got a lot of credit because Clinton policies he had nothing to do with finally took effect under his watch.

It takes years for many policies passed by presidents to get implemented. Sometimes even more than 8. Definitely more than 4.
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    I ain't with the victim mentality so I voted yes even though At face value or taken literal it's false premise. There's always bunch of stuff about the future that we can't control individually. But don't ever underestimate the difference one individual decisions can make. You'll do better assuming your future is determined by your decisions even if it isn't.