Video: CNN Panel Goes Off the Rails When Alan Dershowitz Complains About ‘Black Lives Matter’…

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUCeDvZ2vP4

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/cnn-panel-goes-off-the-rails-when-alan-dershowitz-complains-about-black-lives-matter/
The big story on Thursday centered on former football star OJ Simpson’s parole hearing. With Simpson obtaining his parole after nine years in prison for a Las Vegas robbery, a lot of cable news discussion was naturally focused on the ‘Trial of the Century’ and Simpson’s acquittal of murder charges. Well, one of Simpson’s lawyers in that culture-shifting event showed up on CNN Thursday evening and got himself involved in a very heated discussion about race.

During a panel discussion featuring two other attorneys and anchor Don Lemon, Alan Dershowitz mixed it up with civil rights lawyer Areva Martin over the issue of race and the justice system. After Martin said she’d been getting criticized all day for talking about race within the context of this parole hearing, Dershowitz took issue, claiming that this was the “real problem with American justice.”

“The hypocrisy here is that African Americans — there was a huge divide in the country around the verdict, the acquittal, with respect to OJ Simpson,” Martin responded. “And the very same people who are castigating OJ Simpson have stood by people who have done far worse than OJ Simpson.”

She added, “We know African Americans are disproportionately impacted from everything to how they’re prosecuted to how they’re sentenced. It’s not apples to apples when you talk about black men in the criminal justice system.”

And then it broke down.

“That’s the problem when I hear Black Lives Matter start to come out in favor of due process for white policeman and everybody, then I’ll take that argument seriously,” Dershowitz exclaimed. “I haven’t seen any evidence of that. Today Black Lives Matter, only black lives matter and the due process…”

“Why are we talking about Black Lives Matter?” Martin wondered aloud.

The two then began shouting over each other, arguing back and forth for a few moments more.

Comments

• blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Um alan kno black people get treated bad ? he aint talkin bout that he the jew who won the case
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator
    Options
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What the ? is he talking about? Black people would love true due process for white police officers. Unfortunately what we usually get are cases that are basically stacked so that police get off.
  • Undefeatable
    Undefeatable Members Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If a white officer was, in the view of most blacks, unjustly acquitted for a killing of a black man, but was arrested, charged and convicted of an unrelated but much less serious crime, would most blacks be OK with granting the officer parole in accordance with the law, or would they want him to do extra time as payback for the killing that he unjustly got a way with?

I think a lot of black folks would be against parole.

So I am inclined to think that Dershowitz may have a point.

If you think I am wrong, please explain why. I would love to hear.
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Vanilla opinions.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    If a white officer was, in the view of most blacks, unjustly acquitted for a killing of a black man, but was arrested, charged and convicted of an unrelated but much less serious crime, would most blacks be OK with granting the officer parole in accordance with the law, or would they want him to do extra time as payback for the killing that he unjustly got a way with?

Your whole analogy is wrong. Whites cops ? blacks unjustly which is a fact and we have video proof. You are obviously speaking about OJ. Where is it proven that OJ murdered anyone and got off on some ? "I feared for my life" defense?
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    75% of the time the absolute worst opinion you can get on any topic is a white opinion

Co ? sign. Devoid of all nuance, self awareness, and introspection
  • Undefeatable
    Options

Your whole analogy is wrong. Whites cops ? blacks unjustly which is a fact and we have video proof. You are obviously speaking about OJ. Where is it proven that OJ murdered anyone and got off on some ? "I feared for my life" defense?

That is irrelevant to the analogy. What is relevant is that he was probably wrongly acquitted.

Say George Zimmerman go caught doing some ? , and was convicted. But say the crime wasn't as serious as what he got away with with Trayvon, so that he wasn't sentenced to as many years to begin with. If he was then up for parole, you mean to tell me you have a hard time believing that there would be a lot of black folk against granting him parole?
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options

That is irrelevant to the analogy. What is relevant is that he was probably wrongly acquitted.

Say George Zimmerman go caught doing some ? , and was convicted. But say the crime wasn't as serious as what he got away with with Trayvon, so that he wasn't sentenced to as many years to begin with. If he was then up for parole, you mean to tell me you have a hard time believing that there would be a lot of black folk against granting him parole?

But we know for a fact Zimmerman killed trayvon

And what black people want and what we recieve from the justice system are far too often the opposite even with solid undeniable proof
  • blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trollin. Whiteboy know he trollin jus bc black ppl react to anything race related. All this is theater. Trump mastered it and is using it to distract all of us. We ALL know Russia's now infiltrated our political process & using Trump as a puppet. My concern is what is all this a distraction from? What is the end game? Trump could say he wants police to shoot & ? every alleged gangbanger (black ppl) & muslim onsite, yet CNN wanna talk about Russia ties smh
  • farris2k1
    farris2k1 Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trollin. Whiteboy know he trollin jus bc black ppl react to anything race related. All this is theater. Trump mastered it and is using it to distract all of us. We ALL know Russia's now infiltrated our political process & using Trump as a puppet. My concern is what is all this a distraction from? What is the end game? Trump could say he wants police to shoot & ? every alleged gangbanger (black ppl) & muslim onsite, yet CNN wanna talk about Russia ties smh
    And so do whites, more so than blacks imo, check social media, and cnn would crucify trump just like they do for any ? ? he says
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The anecdote about his grandma was funny. I was entertained by that.
  • Undefeatable
    Options
    Copper wrote: »

But we know for a fact Zimmerman killed trayvon

And what black people want and what we recieve from the justice system are far too often the opposite even with solid undeniable proof

You don't believe that OJ killed those people?

As for the second point, maybe you're right that that makes a difference. But that doesn't mean that black people wouldn't be against parole of someone like Zimmerman (were he to get caught up on some other issue).