• Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Was this a moe dee diss?
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Was this a moe dee diss?

Nah, there was another song on the album called To Da Break Of Dawn that dissed Hammer, Ice T and Moe Dee.

But yeah, Mama Said Knock You Out was a monster when it came out. My high school basketball team used to come out to this song for the whole season.
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I remember reading LL's book as a kid, I think he mentioned the back story to this was people were calling him soft or washed up, so I think his mother or grandma said to make a record and knock them out haha so he was like yeah, 'MAMA said knock you out' haha I might be wrong but I think thats what he said...
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Classic.

didnt know what the song was about really but would rap that hook none ? stop all day long
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I won't say it's the song that made me a hip hop fan but it is the first hip hop song I remember
  • MallyG
    MallyG Members Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mamma Said Knock You Out is prolly his best album.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    I remember reading LL's book as a kid, I think he mentioned the back story to this was people were calling him soft or washed up, so I think his mother or grandma said to make a record and knock them out haha so he was like yeah, 'MAMA said knock you out' haha I might be wrong but I think thats what he said...

Thats what happened. He was asking his grandmother for advice and she said, "knock em out".
  • water ur seeds
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

Thats what happened. He was asking his grandmother for advice and she said, "knock em out".

Yeah something like that, think he recorded in her basement too... I loved that book, I still got it in fact, it was called 'I Make My Own Rules', I must of been like 12 or 13, maybe 14 when I read it...
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cool joint but he never topped I'm bad imo that ? gets me hyped lol mandatory 3 plays
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He was like action supa star like hulk hogan an ? a real super star
  • #jpp
    #jpp Members Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yeah something like that, think he recorded in her basement too... I loved that book, I still got it in fact, it was called 'I Make My Own Rules', I must of been like 12 or 13, maybe 14 when I read it...

I had no idea that's where he got the idea for this song from. A classic song came from a simple conversation wit his grandma, lol.
  • #jpp
    #jpp Members Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oh yea. 4th verse>>>>>

Damage, Damage, Damage, Damage!
    Mama thought i was saying "dammit" while rapping this song when I was lil and was ready to slap fire outta me at all times. Lol
  • water ur seeds
    edited August 2017
    Options
    #jpp wrote: »

I had no idea that's where he got the idea for this song from. A classic song came from a simple conversation wit his grandma, lol.

Yeah alot of great songs come from things like that, same with everyday problems, sometimes a simple conversation or staring at an object sparks the mind to solve something or do something huge...
  • tompetrez3
    tompetrez3 Members Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this was an alpha male anthem in late 90 early 91. We all know snap and black box are undeniable pioneers to sports music sdtk but nobody wants to admit mama said knock you out was the first official "? jam". They played this song to death in 1991 at all sports functions.

This song was like LL official 2nd wind. He performed this live on MTV and everybody was talking about it the next day
  • SheerExcellence
    SheerExcellence Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    tompetrez3 wrote: »
    this was an alpha male anthem in late 90 early 91. We all know snap and black box are undeniable pioneers to sports music sdtk but nobody wants to admit mama said knock you out was the first official "? jam". They played this song to death in 1991 at all sports functions.

This song was like LL official 2nd wind. He performed this live on MTV and everybody was talking about it the next day
    @12:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrF4ZmpfcUI&feature=youtu.be&t=12m30s
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Was this a moe dee diss?

No but he did throw a jab...

"...And when I pull out my jammy get ready
    Cause I might go Blaw!
    How you like me now?
    The ripper will not allow..."
  • Matike85
    Matike85 Members Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Was this a moe dee diss?
    Was this a moe dee diss?

Nah, there was another song on the album called To Da Break Of Dawn that dissed Hammer, Ice T and Moe Dee.

But yeah, Mama Said Knock You Out was a monster when it came out. My high school basketball team used to come out to this song for the whole season.

Here is Moe Dee reply diss too this song...LL was dissing Moe Dee subliminally on this Mama Said Knock You Out that why Moe Dee had to reply...

@Joker_De_La_Lover @5grand
    https://youtu.be/EEoLDhZw2iI
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Matike85 wrote: »
    Was this a moe dee diss?
    Was this a moe dee diss?

Here is Moe Dee reply diss too this song...LL was dissing Moe Dee subliminally on this Mama Said Knock You Out that why Moe Dee had to reply...

Death Blow was wack. He got dropped from his label after that album.
  • Cleveland7venty6
    Cleveland7venty6 Members Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    just because.
    Three 6 Mafia-Destruction Terror (and mayhem)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK4t8_5ZsSo

Sorry, i couldnt help it
    Three 6 Mafia - Money Flow
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48cpPX82rJE

• VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Matike85 wrote: »
    Was this a moe dee diss?
    Was this a moe dee diss?

Death Blow was wack. He got dropped from his label after that album.

Damn rofl...but the diss was solid. The beat couldn't been harder like Mama Said Knock You Out though
  • 5onblackhandside
    5onblackhandside Members Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yeah because of that wack ass song "I Need Love". We clowned the hell out of that song when it dropped.