At what age would you just say "I'm done".....

Options
Mister B.
Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
And stop doing treatments/procedures to prolong your life.

At some point, we're all going down. So, by what age - should you make it there - would you just kick back and let whatever come?

80? 85? 90? 100?

Comments

• NCswag
    NCswag Members Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    85 is a good age. You aint doing ? productice 90+ but being a burden.
  • thegreatunknown
    thegreatunknown Members Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Treatments as in taking medication or doing certain physical therapy? Past the age of 78ish, I'll do it as long as it doesn't subtract from my quality of life.

If you mean everything including eating right and exercising, it depends. I'll eat right until my mid to late 80's and exercise as long as I'm physically able to.

I'm either gonna be the old man rocking the custom suits, slacks, loafers and dress shirts everyday or the Hugh Hefner pajamas everyday old man. I haven't decided yet..
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This guy health is deteriorating at an alarming rate
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    I'm cool with bowing out in my 70s if it's that bad.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Here's the dilemma;

If you eat right and exercise you'll live longer. That means no fried chicken, pizza, french fries, cheeseburgers. No cake and ice cream. You have to eat salads, drink lots of water and eat baked chicken instead of fried. You can eat rice or potatoes but no french fries. And you can't smoke. And you can drink but in moderation.

But who wants to live like that? I'd rather eat what I want and die young (between 65-75) than eat salads, baked chicken and drink water and live to be 90.

Seriously, wouldn't you rather drink, smoke and eat whatever you want and die young than give up smoking and drinking and all the foods you like just to live longer? Because life would be no fun.

Having said that, I've started a new diet. I've been eating salads twice per week. And I make it a point to eat a banana twice a week. I still eat cheeseburgers, pizza and french fries but I think a salad twice a week balances it out.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How can you possibly know unless you're already there?
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

Having said that, I've started a new diet. I've been eating salads twice per week. And I make it a point to eat a banana twice a week. I still eat cheeseburgers, pizza and french fries but I think a salad twice a week balances it out.

You guys really do have the food game all ? up.
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mister B. wrote: »
    And stop doing treatments/procedures to prolong your life.

At some point, we're all going down. So, by what age - should you make it there - would you just kick back and let whatever come?

80? 85? 90? 100?

Tomorrow isn't promised to anyone.

Lol @ anyone assuming they'd even live that long to begin wtih.
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man with the ish im trying to do a few hundred years ain't even long enough time for me.

As long as my body ain't shutting down at a rapid rate let me live ? .
  • b'mer...
    b'mer... Members Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Whenever i lose the ability to do the "daily" things for myself...once my dignity goes, so will i....
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Depends on how bad off I am. Pain and anguish factor in a lot.

yea...this can happen at 30...
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'd day 85-90 the latest. After that people start to look really creepy.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Here's the dilemma;

If you eat right and exercise you'll live longer. That means no fried chicken, pizza, french fries, cheeseburgers. No cake and ice cream. You have to eat salads, drink lots of water and eat baked chicken instead of fried. You can eat rice or potatoes but no french fries. And you can't smoke. And you can drink but in moderation.

But who wants to live like that? I'd rather eat what I want and die young (between 65-75) than eat salads, baked chicken and drink water and live to be 90.

Seriously, wouldn't you rather drink, smoke and eat whatever you want and die young than give up smoking and drinking and all the foods you like just to live longer? Because life would be no fun.

Lol at a banana twice a week, yea you living to a 100 my dude

By the way everyone is chemically different, you can be the healthiest person and something that has plagued your family could still creep up, and personally I eat good because it makes me feel good at no point did I ever start eating good because I wanted to live to be 90, it's because while I'm alive I want to feel my best, look my best and think my best and that ain't happening if you're smashing cheeseburgers and pizza everyday
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? said two salads and two bananas a week offset burgers, fries, pizza and all that other ?

Also said ? drinking water and baked chicken lol
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Beta wrote: »
    This guy health is deteriorating at an alarming rate

Mr Bill the GOAT SNL sketch.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That ? is out of my hands so I don't even think about ? like that.

I'm cool with whenever I go whether its now or decades away. Only thing is I just don't want it to be a long drawn out death.

I also want to be alone when all this happens. Don't need the sadness and tears if I even have anyone around who would be sad or crying LLS
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We have never been that old to count that money so we won't know until we get there, but let me share my insight.

I've watched a lot of older people in their final stages, and truth be told, many of them have a lot of life left when they transition. But once you hit a certain age those dr visits increase in frequency as things start to break down. Once they start saying theyre tired a certain way, you'll know, It's a different kind of tired. There is usually a procedure, or a life changing type of surgery or alteration such as dialysis that precedes it, many get to an age where they like ? that it ain't worth it. Just make me comfortable.

My old head lost his wife and he used to tell me, that ? blood last forever if we want to keep takin care of it, but life is a long time. I understood that ? because who wanna keep goin when everybody you know and grew wit is dead. A lot of people can keep goin, but to them, the party is in the afterlife.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    never! I turned the kiddie pool in my backyard into a lazarus pit by adding motor oil ,turpentine and kalonic green tea to the chlorine.