Do you like super spicy food?

Options
Lou Cypher
Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
Are you a fan of super spicy food??

I ask because Alaska recently had the state fair come through and my buddy from the gym was talking about how he went and found a booth that sold special Hot sauces and other spicy stuff. He said they let you sample the products and one of the items he bought was a Carolina Reaper Jelly. For those who dont know, Carolina Reaper is the 2nd hottest pepper in the world currently. It was the hottest, but the creator made up a pepper that is almost double in spice that he calls "Pepper X".

Buddy told me that when he sampled it, they took a toothpick and dipped the tip in the jelly and let him try. Just the toothpick lit his mouth on fire, so he bought the ? . I just didnt understand why anyone would find that pleasurable at all! He said the jelly has a sweetness in the beginning, but soon after your mouth will be on fire.

I myself like spicy food, but not anywhere near that level. I love hot sauces like Franks red Hot, Cholula, and similar sauces, but sometimes even tobasco sauce can be way too hot for me and make me sweat. I like a little kick, but nothing that will last for too long. If the ranking goes Mild-Hot-Nuclear, i usually choose Hot or Mild.

My step dad makes Gumbo every christmas and he likes super spicy food a lot. One time a relative mailed him some hot sauce that had warning labels on it and ? . Step dad puts like 3 squirts of it in this gigantic 5 gallon ? of gumbo he was cooking and out of the 12 people we had over for christmas that year, he was the only one that was able to eat all of it.

So back to the question. Do you like spicy food? what level of spice do you like on your food? If you like super spicy food, what is it about being extremely spicy that you enjoy??

Comments

• SELASI_i
    SELASI_i Members Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I do. I sometimes get this Asian dish kimchi
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    SELASI_i wrote: »

How spicy though? Like warning label on the bottle spicy or nice little kick dab the sweat off the forehead type spicy?
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There's a limit to how hot I like my sauces. My stomach wouldn't tolerate anything past a habenaro.
  • SELASI_i
    Options
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »

How spicy though? Like warning label on the bottle spicy or nice little kick dab the sweat off the forehead type spicy?

It varies but kimchi can be hot. I like hot food but I still like to taste the foods flavor as well. Its more of a head sweating type spicy tho not atomic.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    There's a limit to how hot I like my sauces. My stomach wouldn't tolerate anything past a habenaro.

Im the same pretty much. Even habenero is kind of pushing it lol. I had some Mango Habanero Chicken wings before that were ? amazing, but i was dripping sweat by the time i ate the 4th wing lol.

I guess it all depends on the sauce for me too. a lot of vietnamese/Thai places will have that Red Chili sauce that tastes ? delicious but can be super spicy as well depending on the place.
  • SELASI_i
    Options
    l2q95yn7vydu.jpg

This is it. I was just talking to my wife about going to the Asian supermarket to grab some this weekend
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Dope, I used to work with a Korean lady who made me a jar of Kimchi. Was the only time ive ever had it, but she made it pretty spicy but also had a slight sweetness to it. Stunk pretty bad, but it was really delicious and surprisingly filling for being nothing but veggies haha.
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    calamari.jpg

This is as far as I will go in terms of spicy food.

You like pepper/hot sauce? Try some from Trinidad and let me know how it is lol.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    northside7 wrote: »
    calamari.jpg

You like pepper/hot sauce? Try some from Trinidad and let me know how it is lol.

What are those? Calimari rings or something?
  • SELASI_i
    Options
    I thought i was the only ? who sweats eating extra spicy food lol
  • SELASI_i
    Options
    Dope, I used to work with a Korean lady who made me a jar of Kimchi. Was the only time ive ever had it, but she made it pretty spicy but also had a slight sweetness to it. Stunk pretty bad, but it was really delicious and surprisingly filling for being nothing but veggies haha.

Aww yeah its definitely an acquired taste.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    when i order thai food i always tell'em "spicy no. 10"

and that ? dont even be hot...
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I like spicy food but damn. I want to be able to taste the food. Not wonder when the burning will stop.

I've seen people collapse and throw up trying to eat those reapers. They all cry though. Crying is guaranteed. Panic attacks too.

I'll never eat it.
  • 808HiLife808
    808HiLife808 Members Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i like spicy, but not to the point where you cant eat it. i guess its all relative tho. we have this spicy shrimp thing over here that whooped my ass and my friends family came over here from singapore one time and were asking for more hot sauce for the ? ..

or we go to this thai spot and i get all my stuff "thai hot." nobody i know ? with it, and the little chicks working there trip out and ask me if im sure.

• Lou Cypher
    Options
    CapitalB wrote: »
    when i order thai food i always tell'em "spicy no. 10"

and that ? dont even be hot...

Lmfao. My step dad took me to a Thai place when i was like 9. He was on a lunch meeting pitching products to a couple potential clients.

We got up to the counter, order our food. They ask how hot we want it 1 through 10. I chose 3. He went with 8.

we sit down and the food comes. Im just listening to them and enjoying my food, step dad is talking to them and taking a bite here and there. He stops talking, they start speaking their part. My number 3 had a pretty good kick to it, but I hear my dads voice change when he starts speaking again. I look up from my food, see my step dad just Pouring sweat and face Kool Aid man Red trying to keep his composure. ? was hilarious. clients acted like they didnt notice, but it was clear my step dad was in some pain lmao.
  • 808HiLife808
    808HiLife808 Members Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    l2q95yn7vydu.jpg

This is it. I was just talking to my wife about going to the Asian supermarket to grab some this weekend

gotta try kimchi jjigae..its like a kimchi soup or stew i guess, with all kinds of stuff in it...maaan
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Are you a fan of super spicy food??

I ask because Alaska recently had the state fair come through and my buddy from the gym was talking about how he went and found a booth that sold special Hot sauces and other spicy stuff. He said they let you sample the products and one of the items he bought was a Carolina Reaper Jelly. For those who dont know, Carolina Reaper is the 2nd hottest pepper in the world currently. It was the hottest, but the creator made up a pepper that is almost double in spice that he calls "Pepper X".

Buddy told me that when he sampled it, they took a toothpick and dipped the tip in the jelly and let him try. Just the toothpick lit his mouth on fire, so he bought the ? . I just didnt understand why anyone would find that pleasurable at all! He said the jelly has a sweetness in the beginning, but soon after your mouth will be on fire.

I myself like spicy food, but not anywhere near that level. I love hot sauces like Franks red Hot, Cholula, and similar sauces, but sometimes even tobasco sauce can be way too hot for me and make me sweat. I like a little kick, but nothing that will last for too long. If the ranking goes Mild-Hot-Nuclear, i usually choose Hot or Mild.

My step dad makes Gumbo every christmas and he likes super spicy food a lot. One time a relative mailed him some hot sauce that had warning labels on it and ? . Step dad puts like 3 squirts of it in this gigantic 5 gallon ? of gumbo he was cooking and out of the 12 people we had over for christmas that year, he was the only one that was able to eat all of it.

So back to the question. Do you like spicy food? what level of spice do you like on your food? If you like super spicy food, what is it about being extremely spicy that you enjoy??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgNOIngJW9I

If Tabasco sauce is too hot, then you're basically the Robin of the IC when it comes to spicy foods.

Me??? Bring that ? . BW3's (Buffalo Wild Wings) has their "wild" wings and them ? are good as ? , but they will have your mouth lit up for a minute. Nobody I know can really eat 'em, or at least finish even one.

I've had some Indian curries that were like eating fire. ? was no ? joke but it tasted good. That's the thing about spicy food, it can't just be hot, ? 's gotta have flavor to it otherwise it's pointless.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah i like to taste my food.. im good with the ordinary ? i cant handle all that ? .. ? makes my hair itch
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    im with that ?
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    Just tried the Carolina reaper yesterday
  • northside7
    Options
    northside7 wrote: »
    calamari.jpg

What are those? Calimari rings or something?

Yes. Spicy Calimari.
  • northside7
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Tasting the food is a must. Co-sign that.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No I don't like food so hot my taste buds are numb and can't taste anything. Such a waste.
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I put Texas Pete or Frank's on quite a bit of stuff