Meet Fuzzybeard

Options
illestni99ainne
illestni99ainne Members Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
HEY, YOU’RE COOL! FUZZY BEARD
“I redid Nas’ album through the eyes of a 10-year-old—it’s called 'Fuzzmatic’”
Fuzzy Beard is a 10-year-old vegetarian with a giant beard who raps along to the late Sean Price, teaches kids about self-love and ADHD and has plans for his own amusement park. He’s also a literal puppet, the brainchild of Moses Bradley, who is a recording artist who formerly played professional basketball in Australia.

“With Fuzzy Beard, one thing that we must focus on is the youth,” says Bradley, who scored a distribution deal with Sony Red for his puppet persona. “My whole goal was to inspire… It’s very important to have a spokesperson for kids who are 6 [through] 10 that they can identify with.”

Fuzzy Beard is using hip hop as a tool to communicate with the youth. His mixtape Step Brothers with DJ Chubby Chub is geared toward young teens, while his upcoming project Fuzzmatic remakes Nas’ classic debut LP, using deported pen pals and substitute teachers as fodder.

MASS APPEAL caught up with Bradley (and Fuzzy!) to discuss plans to spread the good word, talk Fuzzy’s record deal and explain why he isn’t just a “creepy puppet who yells, ‘hey kids!’”

https://youtu.be/RACUuCqcQDY
How did the concept of Fuzzy Beard start?
Bradley: I was in Australia playing basketball and I ruptured my Achilles. I was sitting there—you know, I had a year of healing—and I was thinking, “Okay, what’s next?” Fuzzy Beard actually started as a cartoon—when I was younger, I always wanted to be a cartoonist. I did 12 episodes in like three weeks using a free 2D animation program called GoAnimate. Yeah, so Fuzzy Beard started as an animation, something like The Boondocks.

Wait, you played basketball for Australia?
Bradley: Yeah, I’m 6’7 and 280. I was a power forward/center. I played for Tasmania.

Well, damn. And you’re also a recording artist.
Bradley: Yeah, I sing, rap, do spoken-word poetry, some acoustic guitar. I’ve been in the industry before; I had a little deal with Arista Records for a while. That’s why I decided to make Fuzzy. You know, Fuzzy’s 10 years old and I kind of wanted to live through him. That’s my fountain of youth. He’s always going to be 10.

What was your stage name?
Bradley: I went through so many stage names. At one point I was Tyme Flyz, now it’s RedBaren907. I was Attica Barz—I used to be signed to Clockwork Music with Dan Green and Statik Selektah, REKS, Termanology. I sang on a song with REKS and Lil’ Fame, “Cigarettes.” That was my first time ever singing. Every deal that went sour—the paperwork deals or the publishings—I had to reinvent my name from scratch.

https://youtu.be/Upaiw6VMRYs

Why did you decide to make Fuzzy Beard a 10-year-old puppet with a beard that talks to kids?
Bradley: I was watching The Grinch Who Stole Christmas one day, and I thought it was cute how the little kid tried to shave to impress that little girl. The kids were teasing him because he couldn’t shave and he was breaking the razors. I said, “You know what? I’m gonna make a character with a beard.” It was that simple. Then I said, “I’m gonna make him born with a beard.” But then I Googled and looked up—you know there’s a lot of skin conditions, they call it the “Wolfman Syndrome.” So I looked that up, and it was hypertrichosis. I thought it would be funny if [Fuzzy] was born with a beard.

Is it weird being the only 10-year-old with a beard?
Fuzzy: Nah, nah. It’s good. I get to set myself apart. I was born with it; I’m used to it. Before I tried to shave it off, but now I just keep it. I like it. Sometimes people ask me if I’m older; it’s like I’m the real Benjamin Button.

When you go to classrooms, you discuss some real issues with kids, like ADD awareness.
Fuzzy: Yes, yes. I go to classes and talk to kids about identity crisis, self-love, being kind and I also address ADD and ADHD. I don’t want kids feeling like they’re the only ones going through this or open up something for bullying. So I think the more you talk about this and address it, the less uncomfortable kids are.

dwnu8brbbxps.jpg

I noticed in some pictures you’re bald and others you wear a kufi, is that right?
Fuzzy: Nah, I never had a kufi on; I’m either bald or wear full caps. Maybe you’re talking about my high hairline that looks like a kufi. I have a Lebron James hairline, and I’m kind of sensitive about that.

Oh, my bad. So you’re on a bus tour right now hitting some dates and making plans.
Bradley: Yeah, I have a few plans with Fuzzy. One is my version of Chuck E. Cheese’s. Fuzzy Beard is a vegetarian, so we’re gonna make our version of Chuck E. Cheese’s where instead of a pizza it’s gonna be like a watermelon with coconuts and sliced bananas—a food swap for something healthier. We’re gonna go to California and meet up with some investors out there. We’re also working on a deal in California too for an amusement park for Fuzzy Beard. But this is not going to be a regular amusement park; it’s gonna be where we travel and bring it to low-income areas and travel around. It’ll be traveling like the way the circus travels. We’re gonna bring a rollercoaster and everything out there. I wanna be the traveling version of Disney for people that can’t afford Disney. So we bring it to you. That’s what Fuzzy is for; Fuzzy is for the underdog and for the misunderstood.

Where are some of the places you’ve traveled so far on your tour, Fuzzy?
Fuzzy: I’ve been to Minnesota, Ohio, Arizona, New York, Maryland, Philadelphia, Chicago, Connecticut. I’ve traveled to so many places and met so many wonderful people and kids in schools. My goal is to travel all around the world. I want to go to Japan next. Hopefully we’ll be going this year.

So how did you get involved in hip hop? I see you rockin’ out in your videos.
Fuzzy: I got bars. You already know. I got bars on deck. I don’t but they said when I was born, I came out with Beats By Dre on. I was inside my mother’s stomach listening to Wu-Tang Clan, the doctor said. They told me when I got older. They were like, “You know, you came out with Dre’s Beats on.” I don’t know, yo. It was always just a part of me.

[laughs]
Fuzzy: Ay yo, what’s so funny? Also, shout out to Lil Uzi Vert. I taught him how to shoulder dance.

https://youtu.be/Zgj9KTEEQ_A

Comments

• illestni99ainne
    illestni99ainne Members Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Who are some of your favorite artists?
    Fuzzy: There’s three of them I like: Sean P, rest in peace to Sean P. I love his bars. His bars is disrespectful. I love AZ. Shout out to AZ. He got crazy bars too. Another one is Nas. I redid Nas’ album, it’s called Fuzzmatic, and it’s through the eyes of a 10-year-old. So I did all the songs over through the eyes of a 10-year-old, being in summer school and dealing with lazy substitute teachers, and I’m writing my friend that’s in Mexico. So instead of “One Love,” I’m pen-palling my one friend that’s in Mexico who can’t get back because he got deported. We’re talking about some real issues.

That issue with substitute teachers is real. With the dip in teachers, the subs are in there not teaching.
    Fuzzy: Yeah, they just there for the check and they don’t even work for Nike. That’s an oxymoron. I called the song “Heroes,” ’cause you a sub like Subway’s. They heroes and not living up to the name. They lookin’ at us, uninspired. So we’re uninspired. They sit there, hand us papers, they on their phones, with they glasses on the tip of their nose.

How are you getting your schooling on the road?
    Fuzzy: I have the tutor with me on the road, getting homeschooled. I do a lot of tests on my tablet and smartphone. It’s easy though. I’m a straight-A student though. I stay on point like a scoreboard, you awlready…

Moses, did you ever feel like your love of hip hop and animation would bring you here with Fuzzy?
    Bradley: Never. My whole goal was to inspire, open the eyes of people and ignite something in them and invest in my community. Even when I did rap, it was always from a conscious level; it was to make people aware because I feel like with this talent you have, you have a responsibility with it. With Fuzzy Beard, one thing that we must focus on is the youth. I think it’s very important to have a spokesperson for kids who are 6 [through] 10 that they can identify with. I didn’t think it would get to this level where I would have a distribution deal with Sony and stuff like that. For Fuzzy Beard, I think that’s crazy.

Oh yeah, shameless plug: October 21st, Fuzzy Beard’s “Hip-Hop Halloween Howl” video is coming out. It’s gonna be on MTV and the other broadcast stations, from Sony. Shout out to Garrett Clark with SMG Records too.

So talk about the deal with Sony Red. Actually, Fuzzy, can you talk about it?
    Fuzzy: I was gonna say… don’t ask him about the deal! I’m the one who got the deal! He just tried to Joe Clark me. But anywho, the way I got the deal was I was just layin’ bars down and I got some attention. Oh yeah, shout out to America’s Got Talent too because I did a freestyle. America’s Got Talent hit me up; they wanted me not to audition, but to be in their talent. They paid for my ticket, had me in V.I.P. They made me feel real good. They gave me a glass of milk and vanilla wafers. I was feelin’ real good like Lil’ Boat, Lil’ Yachty. But yeah we worked out a deal with [Sony] for three years, and I’m very excited because I love a lot of people that’s on Sony. We got the deal through Garrett Clark. I basically got it because they said what we’re doing is very different and it’s niche and for a certain target group. They love what I’m doing. It’s positive, but it’s catchy and marketable. That’s just me.

https://youtu.be/2KmAaZRLR5A
    Who is your target group? Is it kids only, hip hop lovers?
    Fuzzy: I have different albums [for different target groups]. I have some, where I don’t say the ages on the album. I have some [songs] where it’s just about cleaning up your room, brushing your teeth, listening to mom and day. [For those] I’ll say ages 5-9. I did a mixtape, shout outs to DJ Chubby Chub, we just did one called Step Brothers. That’s for ages 12 and up. I also have songs where parents arguing affects children in the house, so I try to touch on a lot of topics that kids go through that people tuck under the table.

I know you have a lot of things going on, but what’s your immediate goal?
    Fuzzy: I’m still pushing the Step Brothers mixtape. I really wanna push my album coming out with Sony too. My goal is that if I can get a certain amount of pre-downloads then I can be in Best Buy and FYE. That’s my goal for the physical product. So I really wanna push that Fuzzmatic album that’s coming out with Sony.
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Peanut would beat the ? out of this wak ?