White NFL Player Chris Long Donating 2017 Salary To Fight Education Inequality

Options
JJ_Evans
JJ_Evans Members Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
https://www.hotnewhiphop.com/eagles-chris-long-donating-entire-2017-salary-to-youth-education-news.38553.html
Eagles' Chris Long Donating Entire 2017 Salary To Youth Education

Philadelphia Eagles defensive end, Chris Long, has decided to donate his entire 2017 salary to increase educational equality.

According to ESPN, Long had already given up his first six game checks to provide two scholarships for students in his hometown of Charlottesville, Virginia.

His next 10 game checks will go to charitable organizations in Philadelphia, Boston, and St. Louis “whose missions focus on making education easily accessible to underserved youth while also providing students the support they need to develop strong social and emotional character.”

The veteran defensive end signed a two-year, $4.5 million contract with the Eagles, including a $500,000 signing bonus and $1.5 million guaranteed. His base salary for this season is $1 million.

"My wife and I have been passionate about education being a gateway for upward mobility and equality," Long told the Associated Press. "I think we can all agree that equity in education can help effect change that we all want to see in this country."

“In my 10th year, I want to celebrate the awesome opportunity I’ve had to play football by giving back to the communities that have given me that gift,” Long said in a statement. “Educational opportunity and equity are the best gateway to a better tomorrow for everyone in America.”

"There's a lot of opportunities to help out, and they're wonderful organizations," Long said. "We have such a great platform as football players, and hopefully fans get behind it."

The four organizations selected by Long's foundations are all based in the three communities in which he has played during his 10-year NFL career (Philly, Boston and St. Louis). The city that raises the most money during the season will receive an additional $50,000 donation.

A statement on Long's "Pledge 10 For Tomorrow" campaign site reads,

"I'm encouraging fans, businesses and every person with a desire to join in my pursuit of equal education opportunities for all students to make their own pledge. My goal is that through this campaign my donation will be doubled by those inspired to join the effort -- because together we can accomplish more."

giphy.gif

Comments

• grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chris Long has always been known as genuinely good person. Need more of those.
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Chris Long is proving to be a real one.

He was one of the 1st non black players to openly speak up about their being validity to why the gentleman in the NFL are kneeling, while standing in solidarity with them and openly educating himself on the issues.
  • JJ_Evans
    JJ_Evans Members Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    respect
    but his entire 2017 salary? dude ain’t got bills?

Giving up his salary for scholarships and to fight against inequality is some dope ? for him to do. I'm pretty sure that he has some emergency financial backup from his father below............

fox-nfl-sunday-2013.jpg
  • playboy buddy rose
    playboy buddy rose Members Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We need more feel. good stories like this...I just hope that tha money is put ta good use
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Actually, The Supreme Court ruled that students in poorer districts don't have the fundamental right to the same education that students in wealthier districts have.

I actually agree with The Supreme Court's decision. If you have a project building that houses 100 children that all go to the same school, some of those students will drop out and do nothing with their lives while others will go on to college and make something of themselves.

If you grow up in a poor neighborhood and manage to go to college and make it out of the ghetto I feel like you should be able to move to a wealthier district so your children can get a better education.

Likewise, if you drop out of high school and have three children by the time you turn 18, I don't think your children should have the fundamental "right" to the same education as somebody that goes to college, gets a good paying job and moves to the suburbs where the schools get more funding due to the fact that the property taxes are higher.

Everybody was told the same thing in kindergarten; If you get good grades you can go to college and get a better paying job. They told that to everybody.

Anyway, here's the Supreme Court decision that I'm referring to:

San Antonio Independent School District v. Rodriguez (1972)

Like most U.S. public schools, the San Antonio Independent School District in Texas was funded in part by local property taxes. The District sued the state on behalf of the students in its district, arguing that since property taxes were relatively low in the area, students at the public schools were being underserved due to the lack of funding compared to wealthier districts. They argued that the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment mandates equal funding among school districts, but the Court ultimately rejected their claim. It held that there is no fundamental right to education guaranteed in the Constitution, and that the Equal Protection Clause doesn’t require exact “equality or precisely equal advantages” among school districts.

https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/10-important-supreme-court-cases-about-education

Its great that Chris Long is donating his check to scholarships for students in the hood. Its a noble thing that he's doing. But in Trenton where I live there's a 50% drop out rate. When those students drop out and produce children its a vicious cycle. You can't blame the Whiteman or the government or "the system" for inferior schools in the ghetto. Plain and simply the wealthier neighborhoods have more funding because the inhabitants pay more in taxes. If you want to make a change the solution is to graduate high school, go to college and make something of yourself. You can't be a dropout and blame "the man" for the poor education in the hood.

I'm ready for flags, nosigns and wacks but thats how I see it.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trace the money
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Actually, The Supreme Court ruled that students in poorer districts don't have the fundamental right to the same education that students in wealthier districts have.

I actually agree with The Supreme Court's decision. If you have a project building that houses 100 children that all go to the same school, some of those students will drop out and do nothing with their lives while others will go on to college and make something of themselves.

If you grow up in a poor neighborhood and manage to go to college and make it out of the ghetto I feel like you should be able to move to a wealthier district so your children can get a better education.

Likewise, if you drop out of high school and have three children by the time you turn 18, I don't think your children should have the fundamental "right" to the same education as somebody that goes to college, gets a good paying job and moves to the suburbs where the schools get more funding due to the fact that the property taxes are higher.

Everybody was told the same thing in kindergarten; If you get good grades you can go to college and get a better paying job. They told that to everybody.

Like most U.S. public schools, the San Antonio Independent School District in Texas was funded in part by local property taxes. The District sued the state on behalf of the students in its district, arguing that since property taxes were relatively low in the area, students at the public schools were being underserved due to the lack of funding compared to wealthier districts. They argued that the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment mandates equal funding among school districts, but the Court ultimately rejected their claim. It held that there is no fundamental right to education guaranteed in the Constitution, and that the Equal Protection Clause doesn’t require exact “equality or precisely equal advantages” among school districts.

https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/10-important-supreme-court-cases-about-education

Its great that Chris Long is donating his check to scholarships for students in the hood. Its a noble thing that he's doing. But in Trenton where I live there's a 50% drop out rate. When those students drop out and produce children its a vicious cycle. You can't blame the Whiteman or the government or "the system" for inferior schools in the ghetto. Plain and simply the wealthier neighborhoods have more funding because the inhabitants pay more in taxes. If you want to make a change the solution is to graduate high school, go to college and make something of yourself. You can't be a dropout and blame "the man" for the poor education in the hood.

I want to correct something I said.

I said that the only way out of the ghetto is by going to college. That's actually not true, there are two other ways out; joining the military or joining a union. The military gives you discipline and you can make a career out of it. As far as unions are concerned, there's always work if you belong to a union, all you have to do is show up to work and pay your union dues.

A lot of people aren't college material. They can't read. Thats not a diss but its just the way life is, some people are good at mechanics, electricians, plumbers, etc.

So yeah, the solution is two fold. Donating money to inner city schools and giving scholarships to high performing students is one way to alleviate the problem. The other side of the problem is to reduce the dropout rate.
  • Koltrain
    Koltrain Members Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    respect

He been in the league 10 years.. I would think he got enough caked up to last a year without.. Plus his father got that bread.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    some people talk it, he really living it.

it all starts with education.
  • Mr Popo
    Mr Popo Members Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's a stand up guy!
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Youre clearly white bro
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Dog, I literally think this is the first Wack reaction I've ever given on here. That ? you just said is crazy.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So, we can put to rest that Kaep kneeling aint doing ? . Good look by Chris Long.
  • pachá12
    pachá12 Members Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    respect

Endorsements
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    his father and brother played, he aint hurting

this is standup
  • $tayRichROLLIN
    $tayRichROLLIN Members Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Really good up.... all of his charities are are dealing with equality and the under privileged. And his foundation is doing work in Africa. @5grand Trenton is a dump there's no saving it. I knew a chic from there she was a dump too. Move bro
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    Really good up.... all of his charities are are dealing with equality and the under privileged. And his foundation is doing work in Africa. @5grand Trenton is a dump there's no saving it. I knew a chic from there she was a dump too. Move bro

You violating family. I know plenty of thorough brothers and sisters from Trenton. Trenton is all the way official.
  • 5 Grand
    Options

Youre clearly white bro

Dog, I literally think this is the first Wack reaction I've ever given on here. That ? you just said is crazy.

So you guys think that somebody that busts their ass to get out of the hood shouldn't be able to send their kids to better schools than somebody that drops out and does nothing with their life?

I believe in capitalism. I also know and understand that racism exists. But I understood racism existed when I was 10 years old, maybe younger. I also understood that going to college gives you an edge over people that don't go to college.

There's no logical explanation why schools in neighborhoods that pay less in Ad Valorem taxes should have the same resources as schools in neighborhoods that pay more in Ad Valorem taxes.

If you can explain that I'd love to hear it.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

Youre clearly white bro

So you guys think that somebody that busts their ass to get out of the hood shouldn't be able to send their kids to better schools than somebody that drops out and does nothing with their life?

I believe in capitalism. I also know and understand that racism exists. But I understood racism existed when I was 10 years old, maybe younger. I also understood that going to college gives you an edge over people that don't go to college.

There's no logical explanation why schools in neighborhoods that pay less in Ad Valorem taxes should have the same resources as schools in neighborhoods that pay more in Ad Valorem taxes.

If you can explain that I'd love to hear it.

Having drop out parents isn't exactly an indicator that your children will be dropouts. Dropouts don't just drop out because, they aren't intelligent or incapable of doing the work. Some have to seek work early because, of dire financial issues. Some take on parenting early. It's not just as cut and dry as you are making it out to be. There are plenty of Black folks from our generation that have parents and grand parents who didn't finish school but were intelligent enough to instill a work ethic within their progeny that enabled them to do better for themselves.

As far as Taxes that's sketchy topic. Right now we have a situation in Atl. where accusations of taxes being paid by lower income neighborhoods are being appropriated to upper income areas to strengthen their educational institutions. js

• atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    Schools shouldn't be tied to property taxes...that's been an ongoing fight for decades.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Schools shouldn't be tied to property taxes...that's been an ongoing fight for decades.

Exactly, but they had to and continue to find ways to keep ? ? up and the game rigged in their favor.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »

Exactly, but they had to and continue to find ways to keep ? ? up and the game rigged in their favor.

Unfortunately a lot of ppl don't realize that through access to decent early education, there probly wouldn't be a need for affirmative action in college admissions. If you can read and write at grade level and maintain a C avg you'll get into college.

But hey pick yourself up by your bootstraps and ? ...