Options
5 Grand
5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2017 in For The Grown & Sexy
Vote or Die!!!

Democrat Vs Republican 35 votes

Democrat
22%
Recaptimus_Prime360playmaker88farris2k1fortyacresMax.L3NUSuperSoakerYoung Stef 8 votes
Republican
5%
riddlerapLPast 2 votes
Independent
71%
jonobkkbullyunspoken_respectCapitalBOuncemansemi-auto-matoKoltrainIdiopathic JokerLike WaterMister B.TheBoyRo_Menace_Lou CypheratribecalledgabiCashmoneyDux_Jay_trilladelicAggieLean.onetoughmiracleKingFreeman 25 votes

Comments

• 5 Grand
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Independent
    Here's my understanding of the two parties:

Democrats believe that the government should use tax money to create programs to benefit the public. Programs such as after school programs for kids, not for profit organizations to get people back to work, raising salaries for teachers, more money for public schools, etc.

Republicans believe that taxes should be reduced and those programs should be discontinued. In the eyes of a Republican, if you have a job and pay less taxes then you can pay for those things yourself. Republicans would rather send their kids to private school than pay more money in taxes for somebody else's kid to get a good education. And for the record, I went to private school, you don't have to be rich, you just have to get good grades and they will provide financial aid.

Furthermore, Republicans think the government is inefficient and there's too much bureaucracy to get anything done. Republicans believe you should do it yourself.

Which ideology do you identify with?
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think you mean liberals vs conservatives.

And you might want to consider how it's actually done in practice -

- Do conservatives want less taxes or do they just want the money spent on something else (for instance - a wall, or jails) ?

- And contrary to how liberals are painted, are all liberals OK with money being spent on just anything (like hiring more cops) ? Or passing laws for any and every group (like transgender bathrooms)

- Do conservatives really want less government - but are OK with passing as many laws as necessary as long as it benefits them ? (For ex. laws for tax cuts for rich, laws against immigration, etc..)
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Independent
    7figz wrote: »

- Do conservatives want less taxes or do they just want the money spent on something else (for instance - a wall, or jails) ?

- And contrary to how liberals are painted, are all liberals OK with money being spent on just anything (like hiring more cops) ? Or passing laws for any and every group (like transgender bathrooms)

- Do conservatives really want less government - but are OK with passing as many laws as necessary as long as it benefits them ? (For ex. laws for tax cuts for rich, laws against immigration, etc..)

Republicans=Conservatives

Democrats=Liberals

Republicans don't want to pay for after school programs for poor kids in the ghetto. They'd rather build prisons. If you dig a little deeper you'd find that you can invest in a prison the same way you'd invest in google or microsoft.

Democrats will pay for after school programs for poor kids in the ghetto, but in the end those programs teach those same children to rely on the government, which is arguably a bad thing.

Its a simple question of, would you rather pay more taxes for government programs, or would you rather pay less taxes with less government programs?
  • 7figz
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    7figz wrote: »

Republicans=Conservatives

Democrats=Liberals

Republicans don't want to pay for after school programs for poor kids in the ghetto. They'd rather build prisons. If you dig a little deeper you'd find that you can invest in a prison the same way you'd invest in google or microsoft.

Democrats will pay for after school programs for poor kids in the ghetto, but in the end those programs teach those same children to rely on the government, which is arguably a bad thing.

Its a simple question of, would you rather pay more taxes for government programs, or would you rather pay less taxes with less government programs?

When have the taxes ever been "less" though in recent years - which is why I say do conservatives really just want the money to be spent on something else ?

Conservatives are usually associated with being pro-war, and won't mind enormous amounts of money going toward defense, but won't want to pay for public utility work.

And I have to disagree with summarizing that school programs for poor kids teach them to rely on the government. Can you back that argument up ?

Finally my distinction between libs, dems, conservatives, and republicans is due to the fact that the line is very blurred between liberal and conservative, and a lot of the attributes you attribute to one or the other, won't apply in a lot of cases.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Independent
    they both hate yo black ass so what difference do they make??! lmao
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,479 Regulator
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Democrat
    Unapologetic Registered Democrat.

Voted for Kerry
    Voted for King Barack twice
    Voted for Bernie in the Primaries
    Voted for HRC in the General election.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Independent
    I'm a registered Independent but I always voted Democrat until 2012.

In 2012 I was an absentee voter and I wrote my own name in the ballot

Didn't vote in 2016
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Im registered to Green party

Voted for Barack both times

1st time because i didnt think he even had a chance at winning

2nd time because he was a Bulls fan

Forgot to request absentee ballot in 2016... Didnt vote
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Independent
    I dont follow politics very well at all. On a lot of the big issues i definitely side a bit more with the Democrats, but i wouldnt consider myself a democrat/Liberal. I cant think of any off the top of my head, but i know i've agreed on a few conservative/republican things in the past.
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I won’t register as anything because I don’t really trust any of em and wouldn’t be affiliated, but voting Dems are the lesser of 2 evils 90% of the time so that’s how Im usually voting.

Republican Party is racist and currently fighting about whether it’s ok to elect a ? or not so there’s really nothing to think about there
  • farris2k1
    farris2k1 Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Democrat
    Democrat
  • AggieLean.
    AggieLean. Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Independent
    Figured there’d be more Democrats on here.

Me, I’m a registered independent. Fiscally conservative, and moderate on social issues. Voted Obama the first time, and 3rd party the previous two elections.
  • 7figz
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I ain't a registered ? but I voted democrat last election and cant recall voting republican at any point.

I do believe I voted independent before.

No loyalties here, and no expectations from either.
  • Koltrain
    Koltrain Members Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Independent
    Doesn't matter...division makes control easier
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Democrat
    Dem ill just say if you are a single voter issue ie guns/abortion/weed you are an idiot.. if you "vote with your pocketbooks you are dense, progress>>>
  • trilladelic
    trilladelic Members Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Independent
    I'm left leaning politically. Drugs and prostitution should be legalized and regulated. Abolish the death penalty. Healthcare should be a right not a privilege. Abortions for everyone. How many more mouth breathers do we need?

I never got the appeal of conservatism especially if you're poor and or non white..
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Democrat
    I align myself as a Dem...mainly b/c my hatred for the GOP.

Honestly right now it's fucc'em both...but I can tolerate the Dems. Thought about siding with the Indys. Get some bipartisan governing going on wit both moderate Dems & Repubs with common sense and humanity.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Bill, Barry vs Regan,George sr n Jr, Donny

I'll take the the Left (Libs/Dem) over the right (Cons/GOP) over the not a big fan of the two party system that has basically taken over our elections.

Yeah we have other parties but them dudes win less than 1% of the time a lot of the time votes casting for these parties end up costing big elections
  • blue_london
    blue_london Members Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Democrats would be viewed as a centre right wing party In the UK.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Democrat
    [img][/img]200.gif
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Democrat
    *complains daily that trump won**

*sees 72% voted independent***