93-yr old Zimbabwean president Robert Mugabe out after military takes over.

Options
Undefeatable
Undefeatable Members Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
Sleeping-Mugabel.jpg

Basically, he made moves to try to install his wife as his successor, but his party said it wasn't going to allow that. Zimbabweans don't ? with her. Plus there have been war veterans who have been loyal to him for all these decades, but he started making moves to get rid of them to position her to take over.

President Robert Mugabe is said to be confined to his home in Harare but unconfirmed reports says his wife Grace, who was bidding to succeed him as president, has fled to Namibia.

The military's action followed the sacking of Vice-President Emmerson Mnangagwa, a fierce rival of Mrs Mugabe.

His whereabouts are also unclear.

President Mugabe, 93, has been in control of Zimbabwe since it gained independence from Britain in 1980.

But the power struggle over who might succeed him, between Mrs Mugabe and Mr Mnangagwa, has split the ruling Zanu-PF party in recent months.

Evidence that Mrs Mugabe's circle was being pressured by the military came on Wednesday when one of her key allies made a public apology for criticising the head of the army a day earlier.

Regional bloc the Southern African Development Community (SADC) is due to hold emergency talks in Botswana on Thursday to discuss the crisis.

Zimbabwean opposition leader Tendai Biti told the BBC he wanted to see a transitional authority in place.

"It is urgent that we go back to democracy. It is urgent that we go back to legitimacy but we need a transitional period and I think, I hope, that dialogue can now be opened between the army and Zimbabweans, [that] dialogue can be opened between the army and regional bodies such as the SADC and, indeed, the African Union," he said.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-42006777

Comments

• anduin
    anduin Members Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is pretty big news worldwide though. For some reason American media is only giving it a passing look. It was a matter of time.
  • gh0st
    gh0st Members Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    break it down then. I'm ignorant to what does it mean for the country? Globally?
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Bruh this is great! I knew after that election ? wasn't going to continue for too long...

But I'm afraid the people that took over are going to be the exact same bec the military operates under the the president, which is independent of everything else
  • PureYang
    PureYang Members Posts: 520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gh0st wrote: »
    break it down then. I'm ignorant to what does it mean for the country? Globally?

The article largely breaks it down. Mugabe has been basically a dictator in the country since 1980.

The military stepped in to prevent the nepotistic act of his wife being installed without the support of the people.

• ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Didn't he kick out all the white people?
  • HundredEyes
    HundredEyes Members Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@fortyacres come bless these mofos with some native insight
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator
    edited November 2017
    Options

@fortyacres come bless these mofos with some native insight

it would take a while but these 2 videos are kinda useful

kinda documents history from 1955 - post 1980

Zimabwe was the longest colonized african state (by the British) so this ? kinda starts in 1880. (this you gatta go to the library for).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HI0Z0aMjoM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7iCjZf8ZGw

https://youtu.be/0DuNhsLR9y0
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    ghostdog56 wrote: »

Yup. The farmers.

Thus he is demonized by the west.

A black man who did not appear to be bought off and exercised power as he saw fit.

Can't have that......(follow the money (funding))
  • blue_london
    blue_london Members Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    PureYang wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing bruh. This forum is largely negropeans tho. They don't gaf about the continent so don't expect this topic to get much burn

Ironically if more people was in Europe they probably be more aware because how much it's been covered
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    fortyacres wrote: »

Yup. The farmers.

A black man who did not appear to be bought off and exercised power as he saw fit.

i was in Zimbabwe last month , and alot of white people still live there , soooooo

YA1OZ.gif

No doubt.

I was speaking about the farmers.

He seized their land at one point effectively kicking them out.
  • fortyacres
    Options

Yup. The farmers.

i was in Zimbabwe last month , and alot of white people still live there , soooooo

YA1OZ.gif

No doubt.

I was speaking about the farmers.

He seized their land at one point effectively kicking them out.

Alot still own farms and land too, that issue is kinda a grey area.
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    rf0tu70hg480.jpeg

hum535jxs68f.jpeg

What happened to homie Morgan, i remember when he got boxed upside his head
  • fortyacres
    edited November 2017
    Options
    rf0tu70hg480.jpeg

hum535jxs68f.jpeg

He was/is in exile , he is not the one to lead the country
  • MarcusGarvey
    Options
    rf0tu70hg480.jpeg

hum535jxs68f.jpeg

@fortyacres
    Where you think the looted money is?
    Seychelles, China, South Africa?

I think a forensic audit is needed by the next President
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hope it turns out good for the folks in the motherland
  • fortyacres
    edited November 2017
    Options
    rf0tu70hg480.jpeg

hum535jxs68f.jpeg

@fortyacres

China , because they are leading the new age imperialism in Africa.

There is no ethics in their business and buy of easily corruptible politicians (which is a systemic virus), because they dont under stand the role of public office from the jump.

Zimbabwe needs a completely new brand new constitution and a multi party system, and move on from being a solely agrarian focused country and old traditionalists, we thank you for the revolution but you can ? off now.
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Basically the British is trying to colonize Africa.

Look what's happening already:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/15/politics/elephant-trophies-us-restrictions-zimbabwe-zambia/index.html

• fortyacres
    Options
    Basically the British is trying to colonize Africa.

I fear this again because they are leaving the EU and desperately need knew economic allies and will exploit weak despots in Africa , South America and other "Commonwealth" countries.
  • MarcusGarvey
    edited November 2017
    Options
    rf0tu70hg480.jpeg

hum535jxs68f.jpeg

@fortyacres

There is no ethics in their business and buy of easily corruptible politicians (which is a systemic virus), because they dont under stand the role of public office from the jump.

Zimbabwe needs a completely new brand new constitution and a multi party system, and move on from being a solely agrarian focused country and old traditionalists, we thank you for the revolution but you can ? off now.

China wont freeze accounts, better hope theres some in South Africa. You got to purge Mugabes family - they got to sit in prison

Man, Africa needs one ? country to get their act together. I mean maybe its Botswana or Rwanda but itd be better if it was a big country like Kenya, South Africa, Ethiopia, or Nigeria.
  • fortyacres
    edited November 2017
    Options
    rf0tu70hg480.jpeg

hum535jxs68f.jpeg

@fortyacres

China wont freeze accounts, better hope theres some in South Africa. You got to purge Mugabes family - they got to sit in prison

Man, Africa needs one ? country to get their act together. I mean maybe its Botswana or Rwanda but itd be better if it was a big country like Kenya, South Africa, Ethiopia, or Nigeria.

Mugabe aint going to prison and he and his family arent the only problem interms of "purging", Tradition and beliefs come to play here , socially Zimbabweans are designed a bit different. There is a reverence for elders especially those who fought in the revolutionary war right or wrong.

Africa will be fine , the oldest African independent republic is 60 years old thats a really short time , folks will get it together eventually.

• anduin
    anduin Members Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yup. The farmers.

YA1OZ.gif

because after they kicked them out, they realized they didn't have the people with decades of expertise to work the land so production dropped. The government didn't have anything to replace this gap so they went from a surplus of food to having to import food in Zimbabwe. So for the last several years they've been inviting white farmers back to help.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_reform_in_Zimbabwe