Legend or No: The Fat Boys

Options
TheGOAT
TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2017 in The Reason
5jrcb1rmr7ig.jpg

The Fat Boys are an American hip hop trio from Brooklyn, New York City, that emerged in the early 1980s. The group was briefly known originally as the Disco 3.

Legend or No: The Fat Boys 33 votes

Yes
75%
deakinoBroddied.greenachewon87gman82illestni99ainnetompetrez3IbexCleveland7venty6Idiopathic Jokerits....JOHN BCainWeazelkonceptjonessilverfoxx_Jay_RahlowwAXed_poeticblackgod813onetoughmiracle 25 votes
No
24%
infamous114Trillaaaaaajmolking hassanCapitalBEDDIEKANECashmoneyDuxMaywood 8 votes

Comments

• TheGOAT
    edited November 2017
    Options
    https://youtu.be/a65kmDFfl2g
    Buff Love hyperventalating on the mic > ante up

• Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Yes
    Yes because I remember that during their brief run their records were huge (no pun) in new york city streets. Some of the earliest rap I remember hearing was from The Fat Boys. Also first rappers I remember really going Hollywood before everyone else started to do it. Pioneers.
  • Rahlow
    Rahlow Members Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    I was a young teen seeing gangsters and dope dealers in custom whips bangin fat boy joints in 84/85... especially Jailhouse Rap. Records off their first 2 albums was noteworthy.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    absolutely legends.

I remember watching them on Video Soul back in... I wanna say '83 or '84. They interviewed with Donnie Simpson as the Disco 3, complete with gold satin jackets with The Disco 3 on it and they did a live performance ending with The Human Beat Box spinning on his stomach. Next thing you know they were repackaged as The Fat Boys and "Jail House Rap" dropped in '84.
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    absolutely legends.

I remember watching them on Video Soul back in... I wanna say '83 or '84. They interviewed with Donnie Simpson as the Disco 3, complete with gold satin jackets with The Disco 3 on it and they did a live performance ending with The Human Beat Box spinning on his stomach. Next thing you know they were repackaged as The Fat Boys and "Jail House Rap" dropped in '84.

Need that gif
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    I think they was stars
  • Matike85
    Matike85 Members Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Get these fat ? the ? outta here
    These are Biggie ForeFathers

jtfhfomcf4rr.gif
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Yes
    The Fat Boys came out in 84 right around the same time as Run DMC, Whodini & UTFO, all managed by Russell Simmons. They were on the first Fresh Fest tour, which was the first Hip Hop tour.

Those groups were the second wave of Hip Hop, the first wave being Sugarhill Gang, Grandmaster Flash, Kurtis Blow, Fearless Four, Crash Crew, Cold Crush, Spoonie G and all of the groups that released records from 79-83.

When Sucker MCs dropped producers stopped using live musicians and started using drum machines and synthesizers. Rap took on a different sound. The early rap records were produced like R&B songs, but circa 1984 rap music began taking on its own identity. By 1984 rap didn't sound like R&B anymore.

Basically Russell Simmons saw what Sylvia Robinson was doing wrong. Sylvia and Sugarhill records were trying to appeal to the R&B audience. They had ballads on their albums and they dressed like punk rockers. When Run DMC, Whodini, The Fat Boys and UTFO came out, they dressed more Hip Hop, like B-Boys.

But alas, whoever started managing The Fat Boys turned them into a novelty group. They had skills like Run DMC and Whodini, but they started making gimmick records like Wipe Out, Louie Louie and The Twist. They also made a few movies. Krush Groove was dope but they made another movie called Disorderlies which was kinda corny.

They were dope for the first two albums but they got progressively worse and by their 3rd and 4th albums they were just a novelty act.

Having said that, this is my favorite song by them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCSkw4roTEQ

Here's a few more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wipr12ZmBfw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J8vyNmhNEY

Edit. BTW, that Fat Boys album in the O/P belongs in The Vault
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    @5 grand so are u saying they are just legends by their place in hip hop history?

Because u seem to not be impressed by their music or movies. (Novelty act & corny)
  • 5 Grand
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Yes
    They were dope when they first came out. Their first two albums were solid. First album 4.5/5 and second album a solid 4/5.

Also you have to consider that rap albums weren't that common in 1984. So if a decent rap album came out in 1984, you'd play it for a good 6 months to a year, whereas now an album drops and you might download it and listen to it a few times before you delete it from your computer.

Things were different back then, but at the end of the day I could probably make a solid Fat Boys greatest hits CD-R.

But yeah, they fell off something terrible by the time Public Enemy, NWA, A Tribe Called Quest, KRS, Rakim, Kane and Kool G Rap stepped on the scene.
  • 5 Grand
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Yes
    Fat Boys Greatest Hits Playlist

1. Human Beatbox
    2. Jailhouse Rap
    3. The Place To Be
    4. Can You Feel It
    5. Stick Em
    6. All You Can Eat
    7. Krush Groove
    8. Fat Boys Are Back
    9. King Holiday
    10. Breakdown
    11. Pump It Up
    12. Falling In Love
    13. Protect Yourself/My Nuts
    14. Sex Machine

^^^ Thats a decent playlist, although Run DMC and Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5 are better.
  • Ibex
    Ibex Members Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Yes off the strength of Disorderlies
  • Maywood
    Maywood Members Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    Nah not every cat that plays forever Is Legendary Status
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Disorderlies was my ?
  • illestni99ainne
    illestni99ainne Members Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Yes
    Always liked them and liked Buff's beatbox over Dougie and Biz
    Buff was the best beatboxer ever.
  • d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Cain wrote: »
    I'm going with yes. They brought comedy rap to the game and made beatboxing a thing.

Not going to front they did sell out with that corny ass beach boys wipeout song but both of the emcees in the group could rhyme and was actually nice but management had them playing buffoons.

I think they also said the label was influencing them to get fatter and fatter.