How long is too long to wait on a new ablum?

Options
Ear2DaSt
Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
& How short a time period is to soon to come out with a new album?

Comments

• Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Ear2DaSt momma aint want ? in life except to marry her first cousin and die with her real teeth in her mouth
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'll answer your question;

A (major label) debut album should be followed with a second (major label) album approximately 1 year later. The reason why is to keep their buzz hot and they can tour off the first album and just as the first album dries up you hit em with a radio single and another album.

After you've dropped two albums back to back you can chill and wait 18 months to 2 years as you do collabs, posse jams and features. By the time you get in between your second and third (major label) albums you should have made a name for yourself.

It wouldn't hurt to drop a mixtape between the second and third album.

From that point on you should be established and have a core following. People will come to see your show regardless if you have a hot single on the radio or a new album.

So yeah, once you get established you can wait every 18 months or longer.

• Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Artists should drop a album when He/She is ready and not when the fans are.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Artists should drop a album when He/She is ready and not when the fans are.

cats used to drop albums almost every two years, but that was before the scene was flooded with everybody rapping
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    I'll answer your question;

A (major label) debut album should be followed with a second (major label) album approximately 1 year later. The reason why is to keep their buzz hot and they can tour off the first album and just as the first album dries up you hit em with a radio single and another album.

After you've dropped two albums back to back you can chill and wait 18 months to 2 years as you do collabs, posse jams and features. By the time you get in between your second and third (major label) albums you should have made a name for yourself.

It wouldn't hurt to drop a mixtape between the second and third album.

From that point on you should be established and have a core following. People will come to see your show regardless if you have a hot single on the radio or a new album.

So yeah, once you get established you can wait every 18 months or longer.

should of clarified

underground or mainstream it doesn't have to be mainstream

an opinion on both would be cool .........
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    if you're consistent drop every year. If i was in the game i would. gotta top 7 straight summers
  • freethewave
    freethewave Members Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    who was the 1st artist to say ? a release and drop straight mixtapes? 50?
  • Midwest_Journalist
    Midwest_Journalist Members Posts: 321 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Although I enjoy hearing new stuff from my favorite artists, I don't think it's necessary for someone to come out with an album every year. Sometimes it can be overkill like Game and Snoop.

If someone makes a classic album, it's going to stand the test of time and keep people satisfied for a while.

A few of my favorites as an example:

Michael Jackson (after he started to become his own boss)
    * Off the Wall (1979)
    * Thriller (1982)
    * Bad (1987)
    * Dangerous (1991)

Kendrick Lamar
    * Section 80 (2011)
    * GKMC (2012)
    * TPAB (2015)
    * Damn (2017)

Outkast
    * Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik (1994)
    * ATLiens (1996)
    * Aquemini (1998)
    * Stankonia (2000)
    * Speakerboxxx/The Love Below (2003)

If someone drops a dope album, it can be ate on for a long time. Take Kendrick for example, he doesn't need to drop another full-length album until 2019. He's touring now in Asia and will do Europe for the first quarter of 2018. If he puts something out, it's going to be a B-sides project with songs that didn't make the final cut for his last album. And this gives him breathing room to think about the direction he wants to take for his next album. TDE's ScHoolboy Q and Jay Rock are scheduled to drop albums in 2018 too-so this should add to Kendrick's gap of time.

• king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A lot of back to back albums be lackluster
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Although I enjoy hearing new stuff from my favorite artists, I don't think it's necessary for someone to come out with an album every year. Sometimes it can be overkill like Game and Snoop.

If someone makes a classic album, it's going to stand the test of time and keep people satisfied for a while.

* Off the Wall (1979)
    * Thriller (1982)
    * Bad (1987)
    * Dangerous (1991)

Kendrick Lamar
    * Section 80 (2011)
    * GKMC (2012)
    * TPAB (2015)
    * Damn (2017)

Outkast
    * ATLiens (1996)
    * Aquemini (1998)
    * Stankonia (2000)

If someone drops a dope album, it can be ate on for a long time. Take Kendrick for example, he doesn't need to drop another full-length album until 2019. He's touring now in Asia and will do Europe for the first quarter of 2018. If he puts something out, it's going to be a B-sides project with songs that didn't make the final cut for his last album. And this gives him breathing room to think about the direction he wants to take for his next album. TDE's ScHoolboy Q and Jay Rock are scheduled to drop albums in 2018 too-so this should ass to Kendrick's game of time.

The thing about Michael Jackson is he had already been an established artist for 10 years before he dropped Off The Wall.

Let's look at Prince, who's debut album came out around the same time as Off The Wall

For You - 1977
    Prince 1979
    ? Mind - 1980
    Controversy - 1981
    1999 - 1982
    Purple Rain - 1984
    Around The World In A Day - 1985
    Parade - 1986
    Sign Of The Times - 1987
    Lovesexy -1988
    Batman Soundtrack - 1989

Thats 10 albums in 10 years
  • AggieLean.
    AggieLean. Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    2 years the max for me. Probably need to drop a mixtape in there at some point
  • Midwest_Journalist
    Midwest_Journalist Members Posts: 321 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

* Off the Wall (1979)
    * Thriller (1982)
    * Bad (1987)
    * Dangerous (1991)

Kendrick Lamar
    * Section 80 (2011)
    * GKMC (2012)
    * TPAB (2015)
    * Damn (2017)

Outkast
    * ATLiens (1996)
    * Aquemini (1998)
    * Stankonia (2000)

If someone drops a dope album, it can be ate on for a long time. Take Kendrick for example, he doesn't need to drop another full-length album until 2019. He's touring now in Asia and will do Europe for the first quarter of 2018. If he puts something out, it's going to be a B-sides project with songs that didn't make the final cut for his last album. And this gives him breathing room to think about the direction he wants to take for his next album. TDE's ScHoolboy Q and Jay Rock are scheduled to drop albums in 2018 too-so this should add to Kendrick's gap of time.

The thing about Michael Jackson is he had already been an established artist for 10 years before he dropped Off The Wall.

Let's look at Prince, who's debut album came out around the same time as Off The Wall

For You - 1977
    Prince 1979
    ? Mind - 1980
    Controversy - 1981
    1999 - 1982
    Purple Rain - 1984
    Around The World In A Day - 1985
    Parade - 1986
    Sign Of The Times - 1987
    Lovesexy -1988
    Batman Soundtrack - 1989

Thats 10 albums in 10 years

MJ was popular, but "Off the Wall" was his major breakout album with the help of Quincy Jones.

Prince is a legend too, but those albums didn't have the same impact as the few albums MJ dropped starting with Off The Wall. Mike had people fainting and crying at concerts and got mobbed everywhere he went. Every song on the first 3 albums are great and classic. There are a few on Dangerous, that's OK, but the majority on that album are good too.

Prince had a lot of hit singles and put out more music, but every song on those albums you listed were not solid.
  • Nechesh358
    Nechesh358 Members Posts: 276 ✭✭
    Options
    2 years used to be the standard....i remember how crazy it was when 2pac and dmx released 2 albums in 1 year. game changers for real.
  • THIRDSUPREME
    THIRDSUPREME Members Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I been waiting 5 years in Nas. Maybe 4 but man homie is on a serious vacation.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    I been waiting 5 years in Nas. Maybe 4 but man homie is on a serious vacation.

If Nas never released another song again he would still be the GOAT.