Two black corporations sold off to whites.. (Sundial & OWN)

Options

Comments

• CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yall defintely dont have the same energy about BET.

Crazy
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Black Equity > Black Business

If they keep flipping, they don’t lose power.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    deadeye wrote: »
    Also, $70 million seems kind of low.

The network must not have been doing that well.

Otherwise, there'd be no reason to sell a 25% stake.

Guess she just decided to cut her losses.

I was thinking this to.
  • Rozetta5tone
    Rozetta5tone Members Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Having a business and being in business are two very different things. Both can foster a legacy and empower the lives of others.

You don’t have to retain a brand/product in order to build wealth for your future or community.

What you overblack Mfs are forgetting is the simple fact that MONEY IS MONEY. You don’t need to be associated with a popular brand in order to have ? for the fam. I’m more than certain the rulers of the ruling class are running businesses you’ve never even heard of. Majority of the millionaires in the country are rich off ? mfs don’t even buy everyday.

Expand yourselves. Stop being a victim of “white oppression”. ? empower yourselves and stop being a ? race monger.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It all depends on what they do with the money.

For example, I can think of a certain music industry exec that claimed that he made so much money he didn't do his laundry, he just threw his clothes away and bought new ones. If a person like that sells his interest in a company he's going to have long term problems.

However, if a music industry exec was in the same position and was frugal with his money (e.g. driving a Toyota Camry instead of a Bentley) and invested it wisely then selling his interest in the company and re-investing it makes sense.

Like I said its not black or white, its green.

From my perspective, the most important thing the Black community needs is more people in the financial industry. People with series 7 licenses and MBAs. There's nothing worse than signing a $10 Million contract and not knowing what to do with the money or how to invest it. As soon as you get that $10 Million check the sharks and vultures start circling they'll sell you a dream and rip you off. Then you have to take them to court, and if you win your lawyer gets 1/3.

Thats why its important to understand finance and the stock market.

There's a lot of rappers that should be multi millionaires that are broke because they didn't know what to do with their money.
  •  i ro ny
    i ro ny Members Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SMH @ ? nonchalantly claiming "its just business"

in Oprah's case she can get away with it more cuz she is already a billionaire

but at the same time a media network is a powerful thing........... now with Oprah I'm not surprised at her being willing to compromise the potential imagery on her network........she has been bought off by white people a long time ago

yeah it can make sense to build and sell ur business off, but ownership still used to mean something......just look at what happened to BET after it was sold to white folks

and as far as Sundial, I understand why broke people always think cashing out is cool

but then later on the same people get mad cuz we have no real political power

I'm starting to really believe black people really are bred to be submissive by nature and that's why we constantly asking permission from other folks to be treated with respect :(

i came to post something similar to this.

i thought the point of owning these types of companies was to CONTINUE to own them, not sell them.

• blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

For example, I can think of a certain music industry exec that claimed that he made so much money he didn't do his laundry, he just threw his clothes away and bought new ones. If a person like that sells his interest in a company he's going to have long term problems.

However, if a music industry exec was in the same position and was frugal with his money (e.g. driving a Toyota Camry instead of a Bentley) and invested it wisely then selling his interest in the company and re-investing it makes sense.

From my perspective, the most important thing the Black community needs is more people in the financial industry. People with series 7 licenses and MBAs. There's nothing worse than signing a $10 Million contract and not knowing what to do with the money or how to invest it. As soon as you get that $10 Million check the sharks and vultures start circling they'll sell you a dream and rip you off. Then you have to take them to court, and if you win your lawyer gets 1/3.

There's a lot of rappers that should be multi millionaires that are broke because they didn't know what to do with their money.

I feel u at the bolded but u typed a lot of misconceptions that many black folks are taught

we don't necessarily need to be more frugal, we just need to be more efficient and savvy with our money

the problem isn't buying Bentleys, the problem is that Bentley isn't owned by a group of people who have our best interests at heart..........case in point if Bentley was owned by black folks interested in reinvesting their bread in black communities, it would benefit us all if all these rich ? only bought Bentleys

but unfortunately whether u buy a Toyota or a Bentley, u should buy what u can afford and the goal should be long term ownership since neither company really helps us long term anyway

as far as the finance ? , I work in finance and once u start making bread u start seeing how ? is really rigged

even if u get a series 7 license u still need to go thru a bunch of white folks to participate in the stock market, u don't just get in the game and just automatically become a broker/dealer

what really hurts black folks on the finance side is that we don't have access to the same investments........venture capital would help us out a lot

but we don't have a shared culture where investing in each other on some legitimate ? is common like other groups........we don't have enough banks with resources.........we don't have enough black millionaires/billionaires who prioritize having black financial services

• 5 Grand
    Options

I feel u at the bolded but u typed a lot of misconceptions that many black folks are taught

we don't necessarily need to be more frugal, we just need to be more efficient and savvy with our money

the problem isn't buying Bentleys, the problem is that Bentley isn't owned by a group of people who have our best interests at heart..........case in point if Bentley was owned by black folks interested in reinvesting their bread in black communities, it would benefit us all if all these rich ? only bought Bentleys

but unfortunately whether u buy a Toyota or a Bentley, u should buy what u can afford and the goal should be long term ownership since neither company really helps us long term anyway

as far as the finance ? , I work in finance and once u start making bread u start seeing how ? is really rigged

even if u get a series 7 license u still need to go thru a bunch of white folks to participate in the stock market, u don't just get in the game and just automatically become a broker/dealer

what really hurts black folks on the finance side is that we don't have access to the same investments........venture capital would help us out a lot

but we don't have a shared culture where investing in each other on some legitimate ? is common like other groups........we don't have enough banks with resources.........we don't have enough black millionaires/billionaires who prioritize having black financial services

^^^ Good stuff.

The absolute biggest problem, the detriment of the Black community is the Black church. They've been in business since reconstruction and we don't have one Black bank. Anybody care to explain that?
  • sunlord
    sunlord Members Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

^^^ Good stuff.

The absolute biggest problem, the detriment of the Black community is the Black church. They've been in business since reconstruction and we don't have one Black bank. Anybody care to explain that?

? stop blaming church for black problems you are just looking for another scapegoat. ? are always looking to shift responsibility for their condition to some other entity, traditionally it's been the WHITE Man that took all the blame, now some ? are blaming the black church. FOH. Study history. The black community would not have made this much progress without the black church, And there are black banks
  • sunlord
    Options
    There is a difference between money and real power. money is a form of power but it is also the result of real power if you have money with no power then your money can be taken away from you or it can be lost and not recuperated.

There are plenty of black people with money but they have no power because they control nothing except their money and the use of that money is limited to their access to power. Owning a business however is power because you get up everyday and make decisions that affect the lives of the people you employ and maybe even your local community.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A ? without ? telling a ? with ? why he shouldn't sell his ? but don't know how much ? he truly goes thru to hold the ? .

Ill be back to add to this
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    I ? with Shea Moisture too. I feel some way about this.

They sold out a while ago tho lol
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    sunlord wrote: »

? stop blaming church for black problems you are just looking for another scapegoat. ? are always looking to shift responsibility for their condition to some other entity, traditionally it's been the WHITE Man that took all the blame, now some ? are blaming the black church. FOH. Study history. The black community would not have made this much progress without the black church, And there are black banks

When I was coming up I went to church fairly regularly. They would pass the collection plate around twice and people would be putting in $10 and $20 bills. This was in the 80s. As much money as that church made every Sunday they should own land, apartment complexes, banks, high rise skyscrapers, airlines, cruise ships and a space program that could compete with NASA.

Where does the money go?
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

When I was coming up I went to church fairly regularly. They would pass the collection plate around twice and people would be putting in $10 and $20 bills. This was in the 80s. As much money as that church made every Sunday they should own land, apartment complexes, banks, high rise skyscrapers, airlines, cruise ships and a space program that could compete with NASA.

Where does the money go?

3t63g.gif
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So we questioning O blackness?
  • sunlord
    Options

Where does the money go?

Thank you for proving that you don't know how money ,churches ,bank or any of the other ? you mentioned works.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    I ? with Shea Moisture too. I feel some way about this.

They sold out a while ago tho lol

A few months ago they took in "investors" to expand. They ended up putting out a commercial black women didn't like and it pretty much ? off their consumer base.

The actual complete sale of the company was like a week or so ago.

This is like the third black women aimed corporation bought in three years. First was Carol's Daughter, then Essence Magazine, and now Sundial.
  • blakfyahking
    Options

^^^ Good stuff.

actually we have a good number of black banks on the low

the problem is that those banks don't have the same resources as other more popular banks in order to provide black folks the same access to investments

also there are no black banks I can recall that have a seat at the any of the major stock exchanges.......I could be wrong tho since its 2017
  • 5 Grand
    Options

^^^ Good stuff.

actually we have a good number of black banks on the low

the problem is that those banks don't have the same resources as other more popular banks in order to provide black folks the same access to investments

also there are no black banks I can recall that have a seat at the any of the major stock exchanges.......I could be wrong tho since its 2017

You're right. I know a handful of people in finance.

If the churches worked in conjunction with the finance industry they could flip that money from the collection plate.

Picture a day trading firm that gets money from a church and reinvests it Monday through Friday and on Friday 3:59:59 they put the money in an index fund or government bonds.
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yall defintely dont have the same energy about BET.

Crazy

Not true.

BET's old news now, but people talk about their downfall all the time........even though they sold out almost 10 years ago.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    i think we need to stop wishing the churchs would help folk.....most of them are in business for themselves.

driving bentleys and benzs while churching in the hood.

i am glad to say i had a pastor that was real about his ? .....he looked out for my wife and i when we was broke when we got married. ill never forget him for helping us out the way he did. didnt give us money but he looked out.

but other churches i been too....nah...they aint trynna help ? out. they part of the problem.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    and lets not act like i didnt see a ? admitting to being in finance..
    i see your angle now.

ill stay quiet an give props until the next battle.

UFC-move-4.gif
    giphy.gif
  • blakfyahking
    Options
    i see your angle now.

UFC-move-4.gif
    giphy.gif

SMH......? u been known that finance is my background

that's why I a lot of times I was clowning ur "advice" when we were beefng in majority of these threads :lol:

a lot of people don't realize that when it comes to real financial knowledge

it's not about the "money", it's really about the "value"

• 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    i see your angle now.

UFC-move-4.gif
    giphy.gif

SMH......? u been known that finance is my background

that's why I a lot of times I was clowning ur "advice" when we were beefng in majority of these threads :lol:

a lot of people don't realize that when it comes to real financial knowledge

it's not about the "money", it's really about the "value"

im in training....why you trynna start the fight early?

but i actually didnt know you was in finance.....

an the only advice you think you clowned was the ? about the house....

an using you money to obtain assets creates value..but to me security comes before all else.

HTTP21lZGlhLmdpcGh5LmNvbS9tZWRpYS96TUpQbGpHRWNMS29NL2dpcGh5LmdpZgloglog.gif