DNA & Genetic Testing Sites Revealing Family Secrets

Options
blackrain
blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
Until recently, Andrea Ramirez, 43, thought she was part Mexican.
But the results from an at-home genetic test from 23andMe revealed that she is a mix of Northern European, North African and a little Native American. And not at all hispanic.
Ramirez, who hails from the Bay Area and works in marketing, bought the $199 genetic test in 2013 for a lark after her brother Danny's own test came back with some curious results. She and Danny are both fair-skinned and freckled, and don't closely resemble their half-siblings from their father's first marriage, but they never questioned their heritage.
As expected, Danny showed up on a list of Andrea's DNA relatives on 23andMe. But his DNA was only about a 25 percent match with hers, meaning that he wasn't a full sibling as she had expected.
More strangely, a mysterious woman also appeared on that list as a potential relative. This woman's profile stated that she was donor-conceived.

More people than ever before are expected to buy a DNA-test this Christmas from sites like AncestryDNA or 23andMe, as well as on Amazon.com. Millions have already gotten tested. And for many of these people, the results are unexpected, shocking, and occasionally even life-changing.
The direct-to-consumer genetic testing market, which includes both health and genealogy tests, is expected to grow from about $70 million in 2015 to $340 million by 2022, according to a report from Credence Research.
CNBC spoke to a dozen people who took a DNA test to find out fun facts about their ethnic roots, then were surprised to learned they were donor-conceived. That means the men who had raised them were not their biological fathers -- instead, their parents had faced fertility problems, and their mothers had used sperm from donors at a fertility clinic.
Research from 2005 found that so-called paternity discrepancy, when a person is identified as being biologically fathered by someone other than the person they believe is the father, occurs between 0.8% to 30% in the population.

Most of them don't regret learning the truth, but needed to have some tough conversations with their parents and were left with many unanswered questions. In some cases, they did find likely family members but that didn't always lead to a reunion.
Some bio-ethicists say that 23andMe, Ancestry and the rest should do more to educate their users about the risks and potential outcomes. Making matters more complex is that a donor who wants to stay anonymous might decline to send in their DNA, but can still be traced through their family members.
To its credit, 23andMe does warn its users in its terms of service that the information "has the potential to alter your life and worldview." AncestryDNA's website doesn't make that quite as clear, although it does stress that users might find unknown relatives.
Others believe that fertility clinics should take additional steps to alert donors that anonymity is a thing of the past. Donors should know that if any of their family members get a genetic test, they could be found
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/12/10/dna-tests-can-reveal-paternity-surprises.html?__twitter_impression=true

Comments

• Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ain’t Mexicans technically native to America
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »

In real life yes

But its the ? u cant see that makes everything twisted

Borders
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah, I already shared it on here, but I gave my dad one last year and he found out he was actually half black even though both of the parents that raised him are as white as can be. He wasn't too surprised, but his parents aren't alive for him to ask more.
  • southsil4lil
    southsil4lil Members Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How accurate are these DNA testing kits?
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options

I saw something online about three identical triplets. They all had blonde hair and blue eyes and looked the same. But they did the DNA testing and one of them was like 35% Scandinavian, the other was like 32% Scandinavian and the third sister was like 31% Scandinavian. Its not that big of a difference but considering they're identical triplets you'd think their numbers would be the exact same.

Anyway, give me a sec and I'll see if I can find the article.

Edit. I found the article

http://www.ninjajournalist.com/entertainment/identical-triplets-dna-test/

312-1024x661.jpg
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The Mexicans with darker skin are closer to their Native ancestors with the remaining Maya still carrying pretty much the 100% blood of their ancestors. Them light skinned Mexicans have Spanish blood in 'em.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I got Berber ancestors.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

I saw something online about three identical triplets. They all had blonde hair and blue eyes and looked the same. But they did the DNA testing and one of them was like 35% Scandinavian, the other was like 32% Scandinavian and the third sister was like 31% Scandinavian. Its not that big of a difference but considering they're identical triplets you'd think their numbers would be the exact same.

312-1024x661.jpg

They don't actually look identical to me, and I'm terrible at telling identical twins apart.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

312-1024x661.jpg

all them ? look like they will give my dog lice
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options

Yeah ancient indo Mexicans are native Americans practically. So that explains why Ramirez has native american in her DNA. She doesn't have Spaniard though
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm afraid of that test. ? around and find out I'm not actually black.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

312-1024x661.jpg

? kinda genetics these hoes got with these Glenn Quagmire jawlines?

photo.jpg

Ole ? the left prolly glad she ain't that identical.

I was about to say. The one with the wonky eye got the least of the trash genes while the other 2 caught a raw deal.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »

312-1024x661.jpg

? kinda genetics these hoes got with these Glenn Quagmire jawlines?

photo.jpg

Ole ? the left prolly glad she ain't that identical.

I was about to say. The one with the wonky eye got the least of the trash genes while the other 2 caught a raw deal.

You know there's a problem when "the one with the wonky eye" is the least ? up.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

312-1024x661.jpg

Them hoes look like Bill Cowher

pin7yp5px3m0.jpg

? you bout to have Bill Cowher and them chicks on Maury.

Damn he look like he really could be their father.

If they live in a city with a NFL team
    200.gif

• Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My mom did her dna test and found the ushal west african anf southeast african but also north african berbers and other North African ancestors.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Grew up with both of my great-grandmothers, grandparents on both sides, of course know my father and mother.

I'm good on running a DNA test.
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

312-1024x661.jpg

The Three Of Them Would Get 100 Percent Of This Dicc....And I Don't Even Really Like Cave Hoes Like That
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nawledge_? wrote: »

312-1024x661.jpg

The Three Of Them Would Get 100 Percent Of This Dicc....And I Don't Even Really Like Cave Hoes Like That

Seriously???

*looks*

Well ok
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    nawledge_? wrote: »

312-1024x661.jpg

They are average Beckies. If you like them, then you are into Cave Hoes, you just didn't know it. lol