Purely in terms of skill, who's better? Jay Electronica vs. J. Cole.

Options
BobOblah
BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2010 in The Face Off Forum
Comparing mic skills only (neither has an album anyway) who's better?

Comments

• Knomadd
    Knomadd Members Posts: 326
    edited August 2010
    Options
    that's a ? hard choice. Jay Elec sounds like Killah Priest with Nas subject matter, & Cole went from sounding like Eminem when he was known as Therapist to now sounding like a Nasty Nas/Illmatic Nas. content wise, Jay. flow wise, Cole. but imma have to go with Jay Elec & not cuz he from New Orleans
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    elec has better content but he kinda bores me but he can spit i take cole due to his energy i think i need to find a better collection of tracks from jay elec besides all the exhibit tracks i really haven't heard anything that impressive but i like this track you posted
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Damn, hmmmm. I give Cole; flow, delivery, range (street to commercial) and song writing, and i would give Jay Electronica lyricism, stage presence, etc. Cole is more polished imo and more ready to have instant success.
  • BobOblah
    edited August 2010
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    elec has better content but he kinda bores me but he can spit i take cole due to his energy i think i need to find a better collection of tracks from jay elec besides all the exhibit tracks i really haven't heard anything that impressive but i like this track you posted

Yea Jay Elect could use some more energy. that track is off an unofficial mixtape, just a collection of good tracks really, called "What the ? is a Jay Electronica?"
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    In terms of lyricism and being able to rock a crowd, jay electronica takes it. but in terms of flow and delivery, j cole would have the upper hand. both are good, but i enjoy listening to jay electronica's songs more. the problem is he sporadically releases tracks to the public. maybe its to keep people waiting for more because i know im itching like a fiend to hear another new release from him. so in that regard i guess its working
  • BobOblah
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I just wanna hear these 2 on some bangin beats. I can only listen to mixtapes and mediocre production for so long.
  • lamontbdc
    edited August 2010
    Options
    and what llabel is jay elec on or is he indy? 2 years aog i seen him at rock the bells and it was the worst stage performance i've ever seen he was just rapping other folks songs and got booed off stage
  • MAKAVELI25
    MAKAVELI25 Members Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Jay Elec has no energy. I'd rather listen to J. Cole even though Elec has better lyrics
  • BobOblah
    edited August 2010
    Options
    MAKAVELI25 wrote: »
    Jay Elec has no energy. I'd rather listen to J. Cole even though Elec has better lyrics

Jay Elect flow is serious too though.
    Knomadd wrote: »
    that's a ? hard choice.

Agreed, I'm not even sure what my answer is.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Lol Yall nggas love some J. Cole...Jay Elec is grown man rap, J. Cole is 'new era' rap...Yes Cole has more energy, but content-wise it aint close...and song-wise it aint close (Elec does have Jus Blaze beats tho)

You should post 'Just Begun' by Reflection Eternal, they both on it (im at work, cant do it)...
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
  • Knomadd
    Knomadd Members Posts: 326
    edited August 2010
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    and what llabel is jay elec on or is he indy? 2 years aog i seen him at rock the bells and it was the worst stage performance i've ever seen he was just rapping other folks songs and got booed off stage

he's on Control Freakq records, owned by his girlfriend Erykah Badu
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    s2jepeka wrote: »
    Lol Yall nggas love some J. Cole...Jay Elec is grown man rap, J. Cole is 'new era' rap...Yes Cole has more energy, but content-wise it aint close...and song-wise it aint close (Elec does have Jus Blaze beats tho)

You should post 'Just Begun' by Reflection Eternal, they both on it (im at work, cant do it)...

How are they not close content wise when Cole has joints like

Loosing my balance
    Can I live
    Lights please
    The omen
  • lamontbdc
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Knomadd wrote: »
    he's on Control Freakq records, owned by his girlfriend Erykah Badu

ok cool but you should never mix business and love i mean what type of team do they have to push a majro rap artists. guess time will tell
  • idoitforhiphop10
    idoitforhiphop10 Members Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    damn you can't go wrong wit neither, but im a go with j.cole. jay elect could put me to sleep sometimes. to those sayin j.cole has no content are ya stupid? check these:
    i get up
    show me something
    hold it down
    lil ghetto ?
    dollar and a dream 1&2
  • beerisgood4ya
    beerisgood4ya Members Posts: 2,566
    edited August 2010
    Options
    damn you can't go wrong wit neither, but im a go with j.cole. jay elect could put me to sleep sometimes. to those sayin j.cole has no content are ya stupid? check these:
    i get up
    show me something
    hold it down
    lil ghetto ?
    dollar and a dream 1&2

Took the words right outta my mouth....
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    How are they not close content wise when Cole has joints like

Loosing my balance
    Can I live
    Lights please
    The omen

J. Cole speaks on his own situation, which is cool, he does it well...

Jay Elec is far more worldly than J. Cole...he's probably about 10 years older than him...

Look at Elec's references vs. J. Cole's references...its JV vs Varsity

Smile on my face, tears of a sad clown
    Feeling out of place as I whistle a cab down
    If I tip extra, can I huff a cig'? Blow my smoke out the window, dropping ashes on the bridge Uh,
    I'm in New York now, like Akeem and Semi was
    Tryna get the lobby door open from a semi-buzz
    I just wanna go to the slum and throw my money on the floor like the Notorious ? , uh
    Build a home, teach a class, start a revolution
    Free the mind, heal the body, talking evolution

This that black Elohim Anunnaki rap
    That Farrakhan Hakeem Olajuwon Qaddafi rap

I dedicate this to my ? in New Orleans Rocking black and gold stocking caps and fleur-de-lis Shockey hats
    I'm in the coatroom, screaming 'Who that?' on the devil
    Serving gumbo with a shovel, dog I'm on another level
    Me and Kweli come together like two pieces of metal
    We magnetizing the ghetto

LMAO C'mon ngga J. Cole is not capable of this^^^^

Hasn't lived as much as him or been exposed to what Elec has, so its not even fair

Fluer-de-Lis Shockey caps??? LMAO Thats goin over 90% of nggas heads...and its bars
    8822 Members Posts: 142
    edited August 2010
    Options
    i am anticpating both of their albums something terrible, so i am not even going to decide which i like better, they are both the future of hip hop and deserve way more props then corny as drake. but it is true j elec has got to be 10 yrs older...different ends of the spectrum, same genre of music...a beautiful thing.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    "That Annunaki Rap..."

Its gotta be Elect...

Cole is nice as well...
  • piffhuxtable
    piffhuxtable Members Posts: 169
    edited August 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Damn, hmmmm. I give Cole; flow, delivery, range (street to commercial) and song writing, and i would give Jay Electronica lyricism, stage presence, etc. Cole is more polished imo and more ready to have instant success.

? have you seen Cole on stage, ? a beast.
  • BobOblah
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Jaydolf spitler, rap ?
    One man militia
    Burnin ? live with the scripture
    The sound waves shake the dead in they graves
    Pro tools'll import the session from the richter
    No wonder I'm the victor
    If a thousand words is equivalent to a picture
    Then welcome to the cinema
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    s2jepeka wrote: »
    J. Cole speaks on his own situation, which is cool, he does it well...

Jay Elec is far more worldly than J. Cole...he's probably about 10 years older than him...

Look at Elec's references vs. J. Cole's references...its JV vs Varsity

Smile on my face, tears of a sad clown
    Feeling out of place as I whistle a cab down
    If I tip extra, can I huff a cig'? Blow my smoke out the window, dropping ashes on the bridge Uh,
    I'm in New York now, like Akeem and Semi was
    Tryna get the lobby door open from a semi-buzz
    I just wanna go to the slum and throw my money on the floor like the Notorious ? , uh
    Build a home, teach a class, start a revolution
    Free the mind, heal the body, talking evolution

This that black Elohim Anunnaki rap
    That Farrakhan Hakeem Olajuwon Qaddafi rap

I dedicate this to my ? in New Orleans Rocking black and gold stocking caps and fleur-de-lis Shockey hats
    I'm in the coatroom, screaming 'Who that?' on the devil
    Serving gumbo with a shovel, dog I'm on another level
    Me and Kweli come together like two pieces of metal
    We magnetizing the ghetto

LMAO C'mon ngga J. Cole is not capable of this^^^^

Hasn't lived as much as him or been exposed to what Elec has, so its not even fair

Fluer-de-Lis Shockey caps??? LMAO Thats goin over 90% of nggas heads...and its bars

X_________DIZZEL________ i mean cole is cool but he not really on jay elecs level cole spits about real ? which is cool that he has that ability and range to do that ...but he does it in a bland way he doesnt have the vivid imagrey in his rhymes ..he comes with it some times but not consistent enough imo ....ppl need to stop that nas comparison too..? aint on esco's level at alll
  • dr.oliverpo
    dr.oliverpo Members Posts: 242 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    This is What J.Cole sounds like "yea im that ? ? , A ? like me gone be that ? that them other ? see as undefeated ? "

He sounds like he could rap, but have you listen to atleast 3 of his songs back to back? Dude sounds like the word ? is going out of style. Wow.

Jay Electronic!! He's a beast. J.Cole is alright but needs work he's not on Jay Electronica's level at all.
  • t. webb
    t. webb Members Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Chalee_Boi wrote: »
    They call me Jay Electronica...? that...Call me Jay ElecHannukah...Jay ElecYarmulke...Jay ElecTramaadaan wasjdnjanajfnjvgnjvnijvneilnjlbnlanvlajnvnjvfnjddsnjsnjsjdjn through ya moniter lmao

I LOL'D...but this is tough....both of these dudes are dumb nice......can't go wrong either way...I think Jay E just needs to release more material...
  • BobOblah
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Chalee_Boi wrote: »
    They call me Jay Electronica...? that...Call me Jay ElecHannukah...Jay ElecYarmulke...Jay ElecTramaadaan wasjdnjanajfnjvgnjvnijvneilnjlbnlanvlajnvnjvfnjddsnjsnjsjdjn through ya moniter lmao
    This is What J.Cole sounds like "yea im that ? ? , A ? like me gone be that ? that them other ? see as undefeated ? "

funny ?