Death of Autotune vs. Hip Hop Is Dead. Did either have an impact?

Options
BobOblah
BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2010 in The Face Off Forum
Criticism of the state of hip hop from 2 of the greatest. Both of these got people’s attention, but did they have any effect in hip hop? If so, which had more impact?

"I know we facin a recession
But the music yall makin gonna make it the great depression...

your ? jeans too tight
Your colors too bright, your voice too light...

You ? singing too much
Get back to rap you t-paining too much"

"If hip hop should die before I wake
I'll put an extended clip inside of my AK
Roll to every station, murder the DJ
Roll to every station, murder the DJ

Criticize that, why is that?
Cuz Nas rap is compared to legitimized ?

Everybody sound the same, commercialized the game
Reminiscin' when it wasn't all business
They forgot where it started
So we all gather here for the dearly departed"

Comments

• rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    They both had an immense impact...

Jigg's was quicker... and lethal

Nasir's got a whole coastal region seething... and made rap ? step up their musical abilities
  • shtoopid
    shtoopid Members Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    hip hop is dead had a bigger impact and it was a better song
  • Knomadd
    Knomadd Members Posts: 326
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Neither had an impact on Hip-Hop :/ there's still mainstream ? & there's still autotuned music, etc. Only real fans listened to the messages they spoke. Hip-Hop is Dead caused all the mainstream heads down here to hate Nas & D.O.A. caused all the mainstream heads down here to like Jay-Z (despite them still listening to autotune ? ) only to have them hate Jay-Z once On to the Next One came out.
  • Mvpbrodie93
    Mvpbrodie93 Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    All I remember was everybody was cool with autotune. And as soon as jay z said doa everybody was like "? that ? " and I'm like WTF?
  • therealist_
    therealist_ Members Posts: 3,389 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    HHID basically called everybody who was hot, whack ? .
    And since Hip Hop always had that compitive spirit, ? 's stepped their game up, just to prove Nas wrong.

I think it was risky, but Nas did make some ? 's step up.

Heh .. Jay-Z's DOA, ? killed Auto-Tone .
  • MR.ROLLTIDE91
    MR.ROLLTIDE91 Members Posts: 269
    edited August 2010
    Options
  • rip.dilla
    edited August 2010
    Options
    HHID basically called everybody who was hot, whack ? .
    And since Hip Hop always had that compitive spirit, ? 's stepped their game up, just to prove Nas wrong.

I think it was risky, but Nas did make some ? 's step up.

Heh .. Jay-Z's DOA, ? killed Auto-Tone .

Exactly...
  • Knomadd
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I love how all the southern rappers & southern rap fans caught feelings when Nas came out with Hip-Hop is dead. I was the only person down here who knew Nas was referring to the industry. Andre 3000 even agreed with Nas. southern rappers are just sensitive lol
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Niether had a major impact on the industry and the music. Folks were tired of the auto tune before Jay said it. but it was really pointless b/c he co signed Wayne and Kanye using that ? . IAnd HHISD had 0 change on the game some folks were mad and upset and it had folks talking but it didn't change anything. I would say the HHISD brought up more conversation but neither really changed anything or impacted anything. as usual folks give both of these 2 too much credit for nothing and too much hate for simple stuff.
  • rip.dilla
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Knomadd wrote: »
    I love how all the southern rappers & southern rap fans caught feelings when Nas came out with Hip-Hop is dead. I was the only person down here who knew Nas was referring to the industry. Andre 3000 even agreed with Nas. southern rappers are just sensitive lol

Nas LOST...
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    1)The term HHID is now natural slang...Nas basically birthed that

2)The content of the song and album didnt click, in typical Nas fashion

3)DOA, b/c its Jay Z, wont get credit...but let that have been Nas who dropped the same verses, it would have been hailed as 'Ether'...people love to root for the underdog.
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    HHID had greater impact and more participation in the industry from his peers. Most of the top MCs took it upon themselves to answer Nas' concept.

DOA had virtually no impact on the game, people still use auto-tune and still garner success. Nicki Minaj had a number 1 song that used Auto-tune on the hook. Lil Wayne has a Gold album with Auto-tune all over it. Drake uses auto-tune to sing better and he's the second highest selling MC this year. Jay-Z didn't stop people from wearing skinny jeans or funny hair cuts. His song had no impact. To add insult to injury, he used auto-tune on the album he dissed it on.

HHID wins by default.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I thought the reaction to both were hillarious and other rappers pretty much played themselves. Nas never mention anyone on the song or album and ? like Jeezy caught mad feelings. lol Same ? for DOA, no name was mentioned but mfs like Ron Brownz,Webstar,etc exposed themselves. Even T Pain, even though the song wasn't intended for him.

Both songs had impact because they both sparked a convo, which is all you can ask for.
  • MR.ROLLTIDE91
    edited August 2010
    Options
    T-pain caught mad feelings for no reason. Jay-z wasn't dissing him.
  • BobOblah
    edited August 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    I thought the reaction to both were hillarious and other rappers pretty much played themselves. Nas never mention anyone on the song or album and ? like Jeezy caught mad feelings. lol Same ? for DOA, no name was mentioned but mfs like Ron Brownz,Webstar,etc exposed themselves. Even T Pain, even though the song wasn't intended for him.

Both songs had impact because they both sparked a convo, which is all you can ask for.
    Knomadd wrote: »

lol thats the thing, neither Jay or Nas called anyone out specifically, but certain people reacted. Nas shouts out every region in the beginning of the HHID song, but some southern rappers still took it real personal.

But yea, starting a conversation may have been the best outcome of both.
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    BobOblah wrote: »
    lol thats the thing, neither Jay or Nas called anyone out specifically, but certain people reacted. Nas shouts out every region in the beginning of the HHID song, but some southern rappers still took it real personal.

But yea, starting a conversation may have been the best outcome of both.

I dunno thought. HHID inspired songs and t-shirts(for whatever that's worth). That song had more of a movement. It inspired tracks like "Dance On Glass(Q-tip)", "Rising Up(The Roots)", "Dr. Carter(Lil Wayne)", "Who Killed Hip Hop? (Joe Budden)", "Prescription (Wale)", etc. Not to mention the hate videos like the one Soulja Boy made blaming Nas for killing hip hop, & the radio interview where Jeezy was hating.
  • MR.ROLLTIDE91
    edited August 2010
    Options
    jokerzwyld wrote: »
    i dunno thought. Hhid inspired songs and t-shirts(for whatever that's worth). That song had more of a movement. It inspired tracks like "dance on glass(q-tip)", "rising up(the roots)", "dr. Carter(lil wayne)", "who killed hip hop? (joe budden)", "prescription (wale)", etc. Not to mention the hate videos like the one soulja boy made blaming nas for killing hip hop, & the radio interview where jeezy was hating.

smh. Of all people soulja boy should be the last person to speak on hip-hop.
  • therealist_
    therealist_ Members Posts: 3,389 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    LOL@ "Nas dont bust his guns" .
  • BobOblah
    edited August 2010
    Options
    s2jepeka wrote: »
    1)The term HHID is now natural slang...Nas basically birthed that

2)The content of the song and album didnt click, in typical Nas fashion

How so?

1. "Money Over ? "
    2. "You Can't ? Me"
    3. "Carry on Tradition"
    4. "Where Are They Now"
    5. "Hip Hop Is Dead"
    6. "Who Killed It?"

7. "Black Republican"
    8. "Not Going Back"
    9. "Still Dreaming"
    10. "Hold Down the Block"
    11. "Blunt Ashes"
    12. "Let There Be Light"
    13. "Play on Playa"
    14. "Can't Forget About You"
    15. "Hustlers"
    16. "Hope"

The album followed the theme for the most part.
    s2jepeka wrote: »
    3)DOA, b/c its Jay Z, wont get credit...but let that have been Nas who dropped the same verses, it would have been hailed as 'Ether'...people love to root for the underdog.

BP3 aint my favorite Jay Z album, but I was ready to give a standing ovation when I heard he did a song called Death of Autotune. credit is due there.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    JokerzWyld wrote: »
    HHID had greater impact and more participation in the industry from his peers. Most of the top MCs took it upon themselves to answer Nas' concept.

DOA had virtually no impact on the game, people still use auto-tune and still garner success. Nicki Minaj had a number 1 song that used Auto-tune on the hook. Lil Wayne has a Gold album with Auto-tune all over it. Drake uses auto-tune to sing better and he's the second highest selling MC this year. Jay-Z didn't stop people from wearing skinny jeans or funny hair cuts. His song had no impact. To add insult to injury, he used auto-tune on the album he dissed it on.

HHID wins by default.

This..........
  • MR.ROLLTIDE91
    edited August 2010
    Options
    lol@ "nas dont bust his guns" .

lmao @ jeezy. Jeezy got owned in that interview
  • MR.ROLLTIDE91
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I thought buckshot came out with d.o.a. Before jay-z did.
  • Knomadd
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I thought buckshot came out with d.o.a. Before jay-z did.

you mean "Robot" by KRS-One & Buckshot? that came out not long after D.O.A. I believe, & I think was just coincidence.
  • Avenged Sevenfold
    Avenged Sevenfold Members Posts: 199 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    DOA-The song is ? sick and the beat is hot. Now that I got that out of the way I am going to say this; I think it failed and here is why. Jay said it wasn't for T-pain, that equals an L for that song. Here is why; how the hell are you going to make a song called Death of AUTO TUNE and then say "oh it isn't for t-pain" It is no secret that t-pain has milked that ? for all it's worth. Jay should have stuck to his guns and said "Hell yeah it is for T-pain aswell as any one else who uses auto tune" Here is another reason why I think the impact of this song was hurt. Jay had drake on the same album. Drake uses auto tune as well. So jay looked like a hypocrite to say "this is anti auto tune" but then he goes and works with an artist who uses auto tune.

Hip Hop Is Dead- I don't think the song had a huge impact because Nas is an under dog in this day and age of rap. yeah he has loyal fans but he isn't going to appeal to the crowd that listens to T-pain, Flo Rida, Nicki, Drake, Wayne, Soulja Boi, Jeezy, etc. Those types of fans don't want to hear something like HHID. they want to hear ? like "Best i ever had", "My Love" "Low" "Pretty Boy swag" "lollipop" etc. sad to say it. but I don't see hip hop ever making a comeback.