SMH...NY Mosque developers may back down and relocate

Options
shootemwon
shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
edited August 2010 in The Social Lounge
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/08/17/paterson-king-hope-for-mosque-compromise/
CBS 2′s Marcia Kramer has learned it looks as if the developers of the mosque may be willing to budge and move away from the Park 51 location where they originally planned the construction.

They need to stand their ground. This ? is pathetic.

Comments

• KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    howcome islamic "moderates" are unable to effectively convey their message of not-blowing-things-up to Americans?
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Social terrorist win again
  • elliott_argon
    elliott_argon Members Posts: 286 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    ...land of the free...
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    This is some BS. I'm not even religious, but i don't approve of the right and the public for bullying these muslims into moving their mosque. People let this media fear-mongering get to them. This is even worse then the Gov't raiding mosques a few years ago. Just another form of discrimination.
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    JokerzWyld wrote: »
    This is some BS. I'm not even religious, but i don't approve of the right and the public for bullying these muslims into moving their mosque. People let this media fear-mongering get to them. This is even worse then the Gov't raiding mosques a few years ago. Just another form of discrimination.

Your sig is Carter G. Woodson.
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Don't go where you are not wanted. Less you have a Floyd Patterson experience.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    Your sig is Carter G. Woodson.

The initial founder of ? History week.. i think thats what it was called.. hence.. Black history month.
  • elliott_argon
    edited August 2010
    Options
    The initial founder of ? History week.. i think thats what it was called.. hence.. Black history month.

author of the mis-education of the ? ...hence lauryn hill
  • shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    WTF, shut up about lauryn hill and black history month

I feel optimistic. They're taking these meetings but they still seem adamant about maintaining their location.
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    So to rectify this, the governor proposes to relocate and build the site on state owned land? is that supposed to be a viable solution? and to my understanding its community center, not a mosque.
  • Dischord
    Dischord Members Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    Options
    how is moving it to state-owned land a solution?
    that's practically worse in my eyes...
    ground zero isn't state-owned, it's just real estate
  • elliott_argon
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Ounceman wrote: »
    So to rectify this, the governor proposes to relocate and build the site on state owned land? is that supposed to be a viable solution? and to my understanding its community center, not a mosque.

it is a community or cultural center with a mosque on one of the floors
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Dischord wrote: »
    how is moving it to state-owned land a solution?
    that's practically worse in my eyes...
    ground zero isn't state-owned, it's just real estate

Exactly. the alleged proposed site of where they want to build it was formally owned by burlington coat factory. also meaning that it was privately owned.. going with what the governor wants to do only adds more confusion and another dimension to it. because moving it to free state land will then have critics complaining about why the state hasnt given other religions (specifically christiainity) similar treatment.

I just honestly hope the developers don't succumb to the demands of outside influences. what i find funny about this whole ordeal is the organizers have spent years going through appropriate channels within the city and obtaining the proper permits for the site. ive never heard a peep from anybody and no one complained. yet now that people have chosen to make a political parade about it, politician have been going gungho about it.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    howcome islamic "moderates" are unable to effectively convey their message of not-blowing-things-up to Americans?

because conservatives see Islam as "the new communism" and want to exterminate it
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited August 2010
    Options
    so far all this mosque "controversy" seems to have done is make every single person affiliated with it look ridiculous