Options
2»

Comments

• Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    pralims wrote: »
    i have seen alot of businesses thrive off of just what your talking about. so alot of people can make it happen, the only problem is believing in themselves. thats where people mess up and lose it

thrive on what? using 'black-owned' as their primary pitch? i seriously doubt it.

thats the last thing the consumer cares about.

but hopefully you are talking about success and the work ethic that is required to achieve success. Sure we all have the capacity to set out and do it. but following through with it is another story.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Kushington wrote: »
    You gotta have good credit to start a business

no you dont
    you need credit to get a business loan... or you can save up your own money....
    think about it...(no saying you) but instead of buying those nice boots or expensive clothes or sunglasses start stashing for your own business
  • 2stepz_ahead
    edited August 2010
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    thrive on what? using 'black-owned' as their primary pitch? i seriously doubt it.

thats the last thing the consumer cares about.

but hopefully you are talking about success and the work ethic that is required to achieve success. Sure we all have the capacity to set out and do it. but following through with it is another story.

i am talking about the ethic...
    black owned business signs i think started during the riots so that people wouldn't burn down the business
  • 2stepz_ahead
    edited August 2010
    Options
    sionb55 wrote: »
    LMAO @ 1-800 Junk dude CANADIANS FOR THE WIN !!!!

but c/s what pralims is saying. Iuno what it is & why there arent enuff of us in prominent positions *shrugs*

give it a good 10 or so years & well see more black billionaires & multi-millionaires in positions of power.

at the same time too I think black ppl have a problem buying & supporting one another - word i swear when u bring the ? up that u doint well the other ? gets on some "kiss ya teeth type ? " SMMFH.

i swear guys ignore this ? because of the name...if it makes me rich i dont give a ? . but yeah dude always want the easy path and when you tell them to read or something they on that "oh he not going to hook me up" stuff
  • 2stepz_ahead
    edited August 2010
    Options
    You are forgetting about access to loans, investors, and resources to start up a business. Back in the 50s, there used to be many Black businesses, but with the change in the economy changing in the years passing, as well as urban flight, Black businesses lost money and potential investment. At least that's my understanding of it. Also, many Asians or Middle Easterners who come into neighborhoods may lower prices and costs, deterring Blacks from starting businesses that could be competition.

I agree that there needs to be a vast number of different businesses. There's nothing wrong with people selling t-shirts or music if they are looking to break into fashion or music industry, and need to make money. I don't understand why people think that's terrible, if that's legitimate, and what a person wants to do.

T/S, I encourage you to start your own business, if you don't see anyone else doing it. People naturally follow suit.

But then again, I don't believe in capitalism by any means, so I could care less about people being millionaires and just opening businesses for the betterment of their community.

already have my own business that why i want to help others, i go to the SBA meetings and im 1 of 2 black faces...? is hurtful

but as far as loans ...its tons of loans on line for bad and good credit. just gotta look for them.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    edited August 2010
    Options
    My condolences, dude.

just saying....we meet at temple university in north philly, so when we come out all you see is black faces but inside its all white faces.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    You are forgetting about access to loans, investors, and resources to start up a business. Back in the 50s, there used to be many Black businesses, but with the change in the economy changing in the years passing, as well as urban flight, Black businesses lost money and potential investment. At least that's my understanding of it. Also, many Asians or Middle Easterners who come into neighborhoods may lower prices and costs, deterring Blacks from starting businesses that could be competition.

I agree that there needs to be a vast number of different businesses. There's nothing wrong with people selling t-shirts or music if they are looking to break into fashion or music industry, and need to make money. I don't understand why people think that's terrible, if that's legitimate, and what a person wants to do.

T/S, I encourage you to start your own business, if you don't see anyone else doing it. People naturally follow suit.

But then again, I don't believe in capitalism by any means, so I could care less about people being millionaires and just opening businesses for the betterment of their community.

@bolded:

Because it seems that's ALL black folks want to do: sell "fashion" or push music. Every time you turn around, somebody has a fashion line they're trying to promote, or somebody has a sharpie CD they're pushing in your face. The problem is that there's so much more out there to do, but we've apparently fallen into a "comfort zone", if you will, and can't see past that.

My wife has her own travel business. Before that, we owned a mortgage brokerage company. I'm likely to start tech contracting and consulting company soon if I don't go back into the mortgage industry. There's so many other opportunities out there, so much money to make, but black folks don't want to step out of the box to get that money.

Barbershops, daycare, music/promotions, fashion. Whenever someone tells me they're have their own business, it's usually one of those four.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    edited August 2010
    Options
    @bolded:

Because it seems that's ALL black folks want to do: sell "fashion" or push music. Every time you turn around, somebody has a fashion line they're trying to promote, or somebody has a sharpie CD they're pushing in your face. The problem is that there's so much more out there to do, but we've apparently fallen into a "comfort zone", if you will, and can't see past that.

My wife has her own travel business. Before that, we owned a mortgage brokerage company. I'm likely to start tech contracting and consulting company soon if I don't go back into the mortgage industry. There's so many other opportunities out there, so much money to make, but black folks don't want to step out of the box to get that money.

Barbershops, daycare, music/promotions, fashion. Whenever someone tells me they're have their own business, it's usually one of those four.

very true....but dont forget carpenter or plumber.
    thats why i am saying hell i'll even help with some new ? ....
    my dad always said some corny ass saying but it made sense he always said "only sneakers think inside a box, not people"
    hell open a strip club at least thats different and everyone cant do that.