So what's next for Wyclef......

Options
Reina B
Reina B Members Posts: 2,190 ✭✭
edited August 2010 in The Social Lounge
Source: Wyclef Jean not on Haiti candidate list

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti — Haiti hip-hop star Wyclef Jean is not on the list of approved candidates who satisfy legal requirements to run in a Nov. 28 presidential election, a member of the provisional electoral council said Thursday.

"He is not on the list as I speak," the council official, who asked not to be named, told Reuters. He said the country's electoral disputes bureau had ruled that Jean's candidacy did not meet several legal requirements.

The provisional electoral council was due to formally publish the list of approved candidates Friday.

Singer-songwriter Jean, 40, who is widely popular in his impoverished and earthquake-ravaged homeland, had filed documents with the council this month to run as a candidate for the November election. He was among 34 contenders for the presidency who filed initial candidacy bids.

Comments

• The Prime Minister
    The Prime Minister Members Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    fail-owned-integration-fail.jpg?1251435668
    Options
    Funny how you announce to the world that ur running for Prez of Haiti and ur not even on the provisional electoral councils list!

Wyclef

w7gzzq.jpg
  • shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    FYI: Even though this thread was here first I've decided that I will contribute to the other thread about this same topic since it has a more descriptive title.
  • ckfree
    ckfree Members Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20012801-504083.html

dea-text.jpg

is it all legal? Well, here's the thing, it all spends the same when its crisp and green!
  • white people like me
    white people like me Members Posts: 171
    edited August 2010
    Options
    It was a joke to begin with. How could anyone vote for him in all seriousness? He's not even that articulate of a guy that I would be convinced to vote for him. At least some entertainers could fool me into casting a vote for them.
  • musicology1985
    musicology1985 Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Well hopefully he keeps doing the work even though he won't have the official position.

He should also have started out as an apprentice under someone with experience first. Furthermore, he should have moved back for a minute to get a clear feel for the atmosphere. On top of that he spoke like an amateur and it did not help that everyone knows that he has no formal degree or licenses in anything. Hyde Park called this weeks ago.
  • Reina B
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Well hopefully he keeps doing the work even though he won't have the official position.

He should also have started out as an apprentice under someone with experience first. Furthermore, he should have moved back for a minute to get a clear feel for the atmosphere. On top of that he spoke like an amateur and it did not help that everyone knows that he has no formal degree or licenses in anything. Hyde Park called this weeks ago.

He's been getting alot of death threats but he says that he will stay.
  • musicology1985
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Reina B wrote: »
    He's been getting alot of death threats but he says that he will stay.

Death threats come along with the job. Gotta get ova that ? if this is really what he wants to do..
  • musicology1985
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Wyclef Jean: I'm not giving up my bid for prez yet

(AP) – 55 minutes ago

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti — Hip-hop singer Wyclef Jean says he is not abandoning his presidential bid just yet and will send a lawyer to a Haitian court to appeal a decision rejecting his candidacy.

Speaking to The Associated Press from his home in Croix des Bouquets, Jean says lawyers will go to a Haitian court Monday to appeal with the national electoral dispute office.

Jean told the AP on Sunday that he has a document "which shows everything is correct" and that he and his aides "feel that what is going on here has everything to do with Haitian politics."

Jean's candidacy was rejected by the country's elections board Friday night, presumably because he did not meet residency requirements.

Copyright © 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
  • Reina B
    edited August 2010
    Options
    He's trying real hard but it's not happnin captain