What EXACTLY contitutes a genocide?...TO YOU?

Options
DarcSkies
DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2010 in The Social Lounge
At what point do we have to get to before you consider something genocide?

I've heard that Israeli engages in "Ethnic Cleansing" how do we know this?

Also is the difference between "Ethnic Cleansing" and "genocide" a simple matter of politics and whether you give a damn about the people who are dying?

Comments

• BethlehemBill
    BethlehemBill Members Posts: 140
    edited August 2010
    Options
    when you start murdering (en masse) a group of people because you dont like them. ethnic cleansing is almost the same thing as genocide i guess, but implies its only a matter of ethnicity, whereas genocide could also target a specific political group as well. though i'd bet most genocides are racially, culturally, or nationally motivated so most would be called "ethnic cleansing".... my .02
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    ^^^ OK thats what I think. But it seems we only care when we like the people.

And where is the proof Israel is doing it?
  • BethlehemBill
    BethlehemBill Members Posts: 140
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Darxwell wrote: »
    ^^^ OK thats what I think. But it seems we only care when we like the people.

And where is the proof Israel is doing it?

lol i dont know, ask someone who is making that claim
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    gen·o·cide
       /ˈdʒɛnəˌsaɪd/ Show Spelled[jen-uh-sahyd] Show IPA
    –noun
    the deliberate and systematic extermination of a national, racial, political, or cultural group.
    Use genocide in a Sentence
    See images of genocide

America did have a policy of ethic cleansing concerning Indians. Muthfuckas purposely went out and killed the food supply, enacted aids on Indian villages and forced them to move to those ? reservations.

What the Turks did to the Armenians was genocide:

Who was responsible for the Armenian Genocide? http://www.armenian-genocide.org/genocidefaq.html [top of list]
    The decision to carry out a genocide against the Armenian people was made by the political party in power in the Ottoman Empire. This was the Committee of Union and Progress (CUP) (or Ittihad ve Terakki Jemiyeti), popularly known as the Young Turks. Three figures from the CUP controlled the government; Mehmet Talaat, Minister of the Interior in 1915 and Grand Vizier (Prime Minister) in 1917; Ismail Enver, Minister of War; Ahmed Jemal, Minister of the Marine and Military Governor of Syria. This Young Turk triumvirate relied on other members of the CUP appointed to high government posts and assigned to military commands to carry out the Armenian Genocide. In addition to the Ministry of War and the Ministry of the Interior, the Young Turks also relied on a newly-created secret outfit which they manned with convicts and irregular troops, called the Special Organization (Teshkilati Mahsusa). Its primary function was the carrying out of the mass slaughter of the deported Armenians. In charge of the Special Organization was Behaeddin Shakir, a medical doctor. Moreover, ideologists such as Zia Gokalp propagandized through the media on behalf of the CUP by promoting Pan-Turanism, the creation of a new empire stretching from Anatolia into Central Asia whose population would be exclusively Turkic. These concepts justified and popularized the secret CUP plans to liquidate the Armenians of the Ottoman Empire. The Young Turk conspirators, other leading figures of the wartime Ottoman government, members of the CUP Central Committee, and many provincial administrators responsible for atrocities against the Armenians were indicted for their crimes at the end of the war. The main culprits evaded justice by fleeing the country. Even so, they were tried in absentia and found guilty of capital crimes. The massacres, expulsions, and further mistreatment of the Armenians between 1920 and 1923 were carried by the Turkish Nationalists, who represented a new political movement opposed to the Young Turks, but who shared a common ideology of ethnic exclusivity.

What happened in Rwanda was genocide. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/11/30/60minutes/main2218371.shtml

Then there's of course everybody's favorite homicidal manic Adolf ? horrific and iniquitous was that the Nazis used modern technology as a means of exterminating people en masse. In particular was Heinreich Himmler who overseen the camps and implemented the Final Solution and Adolf Eichmann who was responsible for the day to day operations of the camps. He was in charge of all the logistical ? . Like making sure the trains ran on time, making sure there was enough cyanide at Auschwitz, and he was ultimately in charge of getting people to the camps. Eichmann has the distinction of being the only person ever executed by the State of Israel.

Given the following examples Israel isn't practicing a policy of genocide against the Arabs. Those who say Israel is enacting a policy of genocide are anti Israel and antisemetic. Where as if the Arabs had it within their power they would have a policy of genocide against the Jews.