Is it wrong to focus on your career ..

Options
juice86
juice86 Members Posts: 832
edited August 2010 in The Social Lounge
and not have anything going on in your social life?? Like ive spend the last 2 years building my career and i got a chance to really launch my career to awhole new level, one i never though i could ever reach but it means being focus and spending alot of time working and away from friends and family. My family is already ? that they dont see me enough, and my friends understand but they ? aswell, and my girl never has anything good to say about my career and ? about how i never have time for her(1 day aweek)

Thoughts?

Comments

• Reina B
    Reina B Members Posts: 2,190 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    They won't be saying that ? when you become successful and financially off. Do ur thing and don't let anyone stop you from your passions.
  • dapper
    dapper Members Posts: 18
    edited August 2010
    Options
    You need a balance so possessing a small social life wouldn't hurt. If you are content though then that what matters most. Have you and your girl been dating before or after you started pursuing your career? Like Reina said, they won't say nothing when you make it big!
  • uaintknow
    uaintknow Members Posts: 93
    edited August 2010
    Options
    If your happy, do what you do, i mean what's the point to slack up on your career and regret that you can't give it 100 percent, no one has the right to hold you back.. What career is that if you don't mind me asking?
  • shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    You can't let yourself be distracted from your career. Those burgers aren't going to flip themselves.
  • juice86
    edited August 2010
    Options
    shootemwon wrote: »
    You can't let yourself be distracted from your career. Those burgers aren't going to flip themselves.

I work in criminal corrections as a correctional officer you fannybanit! you on the other hand work ar burger king
  • shootemwon
    edited August 2010
    Options
    juice86 wrote: »
    I work in criminal corrections as a correctional officer you fannybanit! you on the other hand work ar burger king

Nice comeback. You just repeated what I already said to you, but with none of the rhetorical grace. Your lack of creativity and poor writing style make it obvious that you have a real career and not a menial food-preparation gig.
  • juice86
    edited August 2010
    Options
    shootemwon wrote: »
    Nice comeback. You just repeated what I already said to you, but with none of the rhetorical grace. Your lack of creativity and poor writing style make it obvious that you have a real career and not a menial food-preparation gig.

Dont be mad shootemwon maybe one day you will make it to shift manager, you ? half wit. Dont ever come at me side ways again ?
  • shootemwon
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Dont be mad shootemwon maybe one day you will make it to shift manager, you ? half wit. Dont ever come at me side ways again ?

What would I have to be mad about? All you can do is parrot the things I'm saying, but not as well. I feel a bit uninspired because sonning a fast food crew member is not really an accomplishment, but not mad.
  • juice86
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Ill give some you credit, your not a bad writer. Maybe you will write the next great american novel but you will really need to stop flipping burger and focus, and then maybe you do something great with you life. Keep your head up ? ?
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Dont ever come at me side ways again ?

ProTip: statements like this never work on message boards unless you have the ability to reach through the computer screen and punch people.

As for the thread topic, I think Ben Afleck's character in Boiler Room can say it better than me:

Word or two about being a trainee. Friends, parents, other brokers, whoever, they're gonna give you ? about it. It's true. $150 a week? Not a lot of money. Pay them no mind. You need to learn this business, and this is the time to do it. Once you pass the test, none of that's gonna matter. Your friends are ? . You tell them you made 25 grand last month, they're not gonna ? ' believe you. ? them! ? 'em! Parents don't like the life you lead? '? you, Mom and Dad.' See how it feels when you're makin' their ? ' Lexus payments. Now, go home and think about it. Think about whether or not this is really for you. If you decide it isn't, listen, it's nothing to be embarrassed about. It's not for everyone. Thanks. But if you really want this, you call me on Monday and we'll talk. Just don't waste my ? ' time.
  • Krayzazz1
    Krayzazz1 Members Posts: 60
    edited August 2010
    Options
    If you are surrounded by people who dont support you in pursuing your goals then maybe you should surround yourself with different people.
  • shootemwon
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Ill give some you credit, your not a bad writer. Maybe you will write the next great american novel but you will really need to stop flipping burger and focus, and then maybe you do something great with you life. Keep your head up ? ?

I already used that insult in post number 5. All you're doing is repeating what I said. Kind of like how you repeat "Number 5 meal with a sprite" to make sure you heard the customer at the drive-thru properly. You're good at that though.
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    all I can say, is if you're doing this whole career thing just for the money, you're doing it wrong.