When it's all said and done where would you rank Family Guy on GOAT cartoon sitcoms?

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2010 in Lights, Camera, Action!
Some of the people i've heard from said that it's the best cartoon ever(note some of these people are white)

Comments

• AK.aPHillYisILL
    AK.aPHillYisILL Members Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    It's one of the funniest shows i've ever seen. I don't watch it as much as I watched it before but every time I switch channels, I catch it from time to time.
  • Rocket Kidd
    Rocket Kidd Members Posts: 2,212 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    top 10...but i was watchin it recently and the cut away scenes really started gettin annoying.
  • MrJR
    MrJR Members Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    boondocks is better but its up there in the top ten
  • shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    If you were a kid or a young adult in the early 90's, then you know that the Simpsons must be discussed in this conversation. The Simpsons has fallen off big time, but when we discuss the GOAT of any category, we need to remember things in their prime, as well as their influence. Speaking of influence, while Family Guy has since developed their own unique characters, their starting point was this: A fat stupid working class drunkard with a too-good-for-him stay at home wife, 3 kids, one of which is a baby. Sound familiar?

Other shows that give Family Guy a run are South Park and King of the Hill. King of the Hill is extremely slept on, and I think a lot of people thought it was just dumb redneck humor, but it was actually one of the wittiest and cleverest shows on TV.

In regards to the Boondocks, I think it's one of the best comedies (animated or live action) on tv right now, but all the other shows I mentioned have had a ton of great seasons, and Boondocks is still in their third. I'm going to hold off on considering them at this time.
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    ? no, not even top 10
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Great show I won't lie...

Shock Value <<<...
  • arbitration
    arbitration Members Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Family Guy is most definitely top 5 cartoon sitcom IMO
  • CMac
    CMac Members Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Below The Boondocks of course but it's up there
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    its top 10....i remember watching it and that ? getn cancelled...than its came back after couple years...simpsons fell off...
  • Triple B's
    Triple B's Members Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Top 15 but damn sure not the greatest
  • not this again!
    not this again! Members Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    It'd make my Top 10 list, but the GOAT? No, that would probably have to be The Simpsons. Family Guy, South Park, and every other show of that ilk could never have existed without The Simpsons.

But any true Top 10 list has to include the great-granddaddy of them all, The Flintstones. A lot of people don't realize that The Flintstones aired in prime-time during its original network run, and it was aimed at adults, not kids.
  • T-Rel
    T-Rel Members Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    top 10 easily, but behind the boondocks
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    look, Simpsons in its prime was arguably the best TV show EVER.....

that said, i think Family Guy ? up Simpsons in retrospect. When FG first came out with its jokes about Stewie murdering Sesame Street characters and John Wilkes Booth Mentos commercials, Simpsons was just never the same.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    and American Dad >>>>>>> Family Guy
  • rice n gravy
    rice n gravy Members Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Top 10 too many pop culture quick cuts to scenes that have nothing to do with the show to be anything higher

but quite frankley those are usually the funniest parts

when stewie beat the sht outa brian was about the only episode I laughed all the way thru
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    shootemwon wrote: »
    Other shows that give Family Guy a run are South Park and King of the Hill. King of the Hill is extremely slept on, and I think a lot of people thought it was just dumb redneck humor, but it was actually one of the wittiest and cleverest shows on TV.

What did it for me is the South Park episode aimed at Family Guy. They absolutely obliterated Family Guys gimmick. From that point on I knew SP was nothing to ? with.
  • S.jR.
    S.jR. Members Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    #1 spot? Nah.. The Simpsons got everyone beat.. old ? and new ? .. but it's one of the best..
  • Wishbone Jones
    Wishbone Jones Members Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    simpson
    boondocks/south park
    king of the hill
    spongebob
    american dad
    futurama
    family guy
  • elliott_argon
    elliott_argon Members Posts: 286 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    family guy is the jay z of animated sitcoms. it's def most recognized, a ratings beast and has def stolen material to get there. i personally think american dad is funnier and certainly there is no family guy without the simpsons.
  • kingofbama205
    kingofbama205 Members Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    American Dad is not better than Family Guy....I'd say FG is Top 5 for sure...