Why do you think Obama won't legalize marijuana and tax it?

Options

Comments

• Logical Truths
    Logical Truths Members Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Let me start by sayin that this ? should been legal a minute ago. Obama is not gonna b the one to make it legal tho. That would b the dumbest ? he could do. Of course a black man would b the one to legalize weed, thats what they expect. Then we gon have to hear over and over everyday on the news y we should have never let a black man b president. Sad part is that white ppl smoke jus as much as us but for some reason its worse when we do it. I say Obama leave this ? alone even tho id b happy if he ever did make it legal. It would jus give ppl reason 2 sterotype us even more.
  • Logical Truths
    edited August 2010
    Options
    heyslick wrote: »
    The bold ed area only....you actually believe this? the italic area only of course that's true when you consider that Hispanics/whites are lumped into the same race category. WOW! is there anything in your life as a Black man/woman? that isn't considered not your fault or if you do things illegal in life that the punishment is always harsher because of your color.

As far as the bold: Hell yea i believe that ? . If Obama does somethin as controversial as legalize weed we will never hear the end of it. People been tryna trip homie up since day 1. Cuz tried to mess him up when he was gettin sworn in. They already tryna take shots at his stimulus package without giving the ? time to fully kick in. They want for him to mess up or do somethin highly controversial so they can say see we told you not this guy in here. If he leaglized weed then he would forever be attributed to doing so and there would be a backlash. Alot of people smoke but just as much if not more dont. There would be too many angry people and the 1st thing there would point at is the fact that he black. Fox 5 would b on his ass.

As far as the Italic: Im guessing your white becase there you go tryna blame the hispanics now. I never said anything about anything beaing anoynes fault, but as far as punishment being harder beacase of our color you dam right it is. Buy hey somethings you cant understand until the shoe is on the other foot.
  • Logical Truths
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Oh please! don't play that blame game on me I NEVER said any such thing about trying to blame Mexicans.....if you can find it?i.e., where I categorically stated it feel free to do so,thanks.
    Originally Posted by heyslick
    The bold ed area only....you actually believe this? the italic area only of course that's true when you consider that Hispanics/whites are lumped into the same race category. WOW! is there anything in your life as a Black man/woman? that isn't considered not your fault or if you do things illegal in life that the punishment is always harsher because of your color.

I said whites smoke just as much as blacks. You said thats only true because hispanics/whites are lumped into the same category. If thats not tryna put the blame on someone else i dont know what is. But dam how u go from hispanics to mexicans. Not all hispanics are mexican unless you tryna say that being funny/derogatory. I dont know who u are but u seem like a racist dude. Its 2010
  • Logical Truths
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Again you've missed the original point.....any statistic is going to be skewed given what I highlighted below......you must be black? if you can't reply in kind just say your/they must be an racist or bigot......great logic. Damn I wish I could cry racism at every single opportunity and NOT take any responsibility for anything whatsoever.

How Should Hispanics or Latinos Answer the Race Question?

People of Hispanic origin may be of any race and should answer the question on race by marking one or more race categories shown on the questionnaire, including White, Black or African American, American Indian or Alaska Native, Asian, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, and Some Other Race. Hispanics are asked to indicate their origin in the question on Hispanic origin, not in the question on race, because in the federal statistical system ethnic origin is considered to be a separate concept from race.

You dam right im black and proud of it. Who said anything about not taking responsibility? You brought up punishment being harsher for blacks and the ? is. You one of them white folks mad at black people for speaking some real ? that you dont understand but are too scared to say the ? to an atcual black person, so you sign up on a hiphop site to talk ? and ? with ppl. Knowin dam well you dont even listen to hiphop. Take care of your ? and stop worrying bout what we talkin bout over here.
  • shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    You dam right im black and proud of it. Who said anything about not taking responsibility? You brought up punishment being harsher for blacks and the ? is. You one of them white folks mad at black people for speaking some real ? that you dont understand but are too scared to say the ? to an atcual black person, so you sign up on a hiphop site to talk ? and ? with ppl. Knowin dam well you dont even listen to hiphop. Take care of your ? and stop worrying bout what we talkin bout over here.

Sonned into oblivion. If heyslick replies again he admits to being ? .
  • shootemwon
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Nope! I never said anything about punishment you did.......you damn right I'm gonna express my opinion & talk ? to the ? content so many convey including yourself. FYI if you talked the same way to me in person as you do on this site YOU can count on it I would let you know what I thought......I meet black people in the real world every day and not one has talked the kind of ? talking you and yours do on this site. Don't talk to me about courage. Yeah I ? hate rap music & its vile message (s).....& I NEVER EVER post in those forums about rap music......period

You just admitted to being ? . ? .
  • Logical Truths
    edited August 2010
    Options

That right there is you bringing up punishment being harsher. You cant even keep track of you own thoughts. You backtracking more than a conerback. Im done with you
  • Logical Truths
    edited August 2010
    Options
    shootemwon wrote: »
    Sonned into oblivion. If heyslick replies again he admits to being ? .

Being ? is only one of his problems. Dude got deeper issues than that. He sittin there with his whiskey talkin ? from behind his computer and dont even know what he sayin
  • Logical Truths
    edited August 2010
    Options
    My fault yall for gettin the thread off topic but i had to handle that. Lets get ? back in order.
  • shootemwon
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Logical Truth

Calling someone ? is your classic response.....that's SO old & redundant, as well BOGUS!. Yeah I think I'm gonna start avoiding them black folks that continue to approach me in my world.....I'll be cordial and keep it moving on down the sidewalks and streets of life in general......especially them inquiring ones who know I partake in the subject of this thread. (WOW! can't believe I fessed up/admitted that). BTW try using the ignore button you'll be better off.....I ain't going away.

But you said that you're ? , so how can it be bogus?
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I understand what you're saying, but Obama should at least make the case that the war on drugs is getting expensive for us, and that state budgets need a new way to create revenue. Sure, there are many court costs and other monies that are gained from marijuana being illegal, but as of right now, the drug dealers are making a KILLING selling it.

WW2 was not popular amongst the American people when it first started, but FDR sold the war to the American public. Obama sold the public BARELY for healthcare reform, and now, most Americans actually support the legislation that created it.

All it takes is some courage on Obama's part and marijuana can be the cash cow that it was meant to be. It's not as hazardous to one's health the way alcohol and cigarettes are, so why not make some money off it?

On his part, it simply wont look good. He has admitted he used drugs n his youth and regrets it, so have you ever thought he personally does not want to legalize it? Would it be good for the country? Sure. ANYTHING that would put more money in the government is good for the country. But dont you think that pro-marijuana groups should be doing a bit more to help this pass? where are the marches? where are the groups of folks with the signs? Where is the face of the fight for legalization? The respectable face, not snoop dogg, willie nelson, or High Times magazine. Thats something ? have over weed users. ? are a lot more organized (no heyslick) , and they've made an effort to put celebrities on the front of the fight for what they want. Basically, where's the ANGER to have legalization of weed? There is none. Because weed doesnt really make you angry like being denied marriage or health care does.
  • About$
    About$ Members Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Reason:

The Best "Purple"... is not grown here in the states &.... Look at Cigs.. they are $9 a pack here in CT & folks be getting them black market style & either getting taxed or going to Jail for it... If Weed grew here in the States as easy as Tobacco, then They'd legalize it.
  • About$
    About$ Members Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Try checking-out this link and tell me about what's not grown right here in the states.

http://www.humboldtcountymovie.com/

I got you.. & I understand that it's huge out there in the mid-west & even in the state parks...(illegal grow/farm projects) but We still cannot control what comes out of Mexico & other Latin Countries. They (U.S.) don't want them (the brown-man) to have any real wealth or leverage. it's a sad thing, But the country profits off illegal trade.
  • earth two superman
    edited August 2010
    Options
    but wouldnt government legalization of weed make it possible for them to get ingedients from other countries and make the weed just as good?
  • shootemwon
    edited August 2010
    Options
    FYI (anyone)

Some[who?] advocate legalization of cannabis, believing that it will reduce illegal trade & associated crime and yield a valuable tax-source. Cannabis is now available as a palliative agent, in Canada, with a medical prescription. In 1969, only 16% percent of voters in the USA supported legalization, according to a poll by Gallup. According to the same source, that number had risen to 36% by 2005.[7] More recent polling indicates that the number has risen even further since the financial crisis of 2007-2009: in 2009, between 46% and 56% of US voters would support legalization

If they the federal government would allow all 50 states to decriminalize possession of mj (less than ounce) I could get behind that but,I don't feel it should be legalized across the board or to generate much needed funds for our states....aren't our so-called politicians supposed to do them things for us.?
    Correct, politicians are supposed to find ways to generate revenue. Legalizing and taxing marijuana would be a very smart way for them to perform that duty.
  • shootemwon
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Actually what there supposed to do with the tax payers monies is to balance budgets etc. & do their elected jobs. IMO legalizing marijuana will only open-up an massive can of worms & in the end create more problems e.g.,health issues. You feel it would solve so many financial problems and I don't so lets agree on disagreeing. The current laws in my state (ca) suit me just fine. I will be voting NO on proposition 19.

http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/California_Proposition_19,_the_Marijuana_Legalization_Initiative_%282010%29
    What health problems?
  • earth two superman
    edited August 2010
    Options
    lmao heyslick your parkinsons is really affecting your speech, you just contradicted yourself.
  • The Prime Minister
    The Prime Minister Members Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    About$ wrote: »
    Reason:

The Best "Purple"... is not grown here in the states &.... Look at Cigs.. they are $9 a pack here in CT & folks be getting them black market style & either getting taxed or going to Jail for it... If Weed grew here in the States as easy as Tobacco, then They'd legalize it.

Why do people continue to believe such ridiculous nonsense? And cigarettes are only like a $1.50 a pack, the rest of the cost comes from whatever your state taxes happen to be.

:truth

• earth two superman
    edited August 2010
    Options
    IMO this would be political suicide, at least in the first term. it would however be something he could get started in a lame duck capacity, assuming he ran and won a 2nd term...

tbh tho, and at the risk of soundin hypocritical bein as I just finished an L lol, I have reservations about greenery bein legalized anyway... JMO. I'm 100% for it bein decriminalized, but makin it all the way legal...:unno

why would he legalize it around the end of a second term, just to have something for the opposition to rally against so damn soon in the next election, a controversial issue so fresh in their minds? if it was to be legalized, it should happen either in he beginning of his 2nd term, or after his 2nd midterm elections.
  • The Prime Minister
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Oh yeah, ? some Mexican dirt weed. Ain't nobody smokin' that ? out here, except for gang members and ? heads.
  • The Prime Minister
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Man-O-Man you got that right.....can you remember when our government used to spray paraquat (sp?) on that ? from Mexico in the 70's

I wasn't smokin' in the 70's, or the 80's for that matter, but I've encountered some gnarly brick weed that smelled like paint thinner.

Word up.

? that!
  • The Prime Minister
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Because it would take away from profits pharmaceuticals make and stop contributing to the prison industrial complex.

topeka-bingo.jpg
    Options
    Doesn't this make the mistake of assuming that everyone would buy legit? I mean it's going to drive prices down meaning dealers just have to undercut by a certain amount to steal the sale from the state. Those tax projections are wishful thinking. I know the sale of illegal cigarettes is on the rise but the state is presenting it like people are buying less from legal sources.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    anduin wrote: »
    Doesn't this make the mistake of assuming that everyone would buy legit? I mean it's going to drive prices down meaning dealers just have to undercut by a certain amount to steal the sale from the state. Those tax projections are wishful thinking. I know the sale of illegal cigarettes is on the rise but the state is presenting it like people are buying less from legal sources.

Of course not everyone would buy legit, but states could make lots of revenue if it was to be taxed. People can make their own liquor, but how many people actually do it?

Not everyone has access to easy, illegal weed. I certainly do, but many don't. Maybe states can't fix their crazy debts with just marijuana alone, but it would certainly help lower it. New York, for example, has a debt of about 10 billion dollars, more or less. If New York was to tax weed, it could bring in perhaps as much as 1 or 2 billion dollars a year. You don't think that could help?
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Because it would take away from profits pharmaceuticals make and stop contributing to the prison industrial complex.

Oh yeah, we all know the power of the prison industrial complex and the pharmaceutical companies, but it's actually expensive as ? to keep all these prisoners locked up. Prisoners have to be fed, clothed, and treated for diseases....on top of the legal costs of actually convicting prisoners. A strong argument can be made that the war on drugs is actually taking more money from the economy than it is putting in. If that argument can be made successfully, someone can finally convince these small minded politicians to actually think outside the box.am

Pharmaceutical companies is a much trickier monster to tackle.....they know damn well weed would destroy their business, and because drug companies make billions every year scamming, I mean treating people, they can influence politicians very easily. Because America is a nation where the rich and wealthy have power over common sense, there is little Obama can do to take them on.

But if he can convince drug companies that weed and fancy pills can co-exist, there may be hope........