WP:Signs of a thaw between Haynesworth, Shanahan

Options
SimpleKomplexity
SimpleKomplexity Members Posts: 276
edited August 2010 in From the Cheap Seats
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/albert-haynesworth/haynesworth-shanahan-patching.html

Signs of a thaw between Haynesworth, Shanahan

One week ago, Albert Haynesworth didn't try to hide displeasure with Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan, and it appeared the bad feelings between the two had escalated to unmanageable levels. But following the Jets' game, Haynesworth was able to ? jokes about his relationship with the head coach and said he's on the same page as his
bosses and their 3-4 defense.

"I'm going over to dinner at his house, probably tonight," Haynesworth said. "Gonna sit and have a cigar and talk."

That's probably a healthy overstatement, but Haynesworth did seem to be in good spirits after Friday's win, a game in which he saw plenty of action at right defensive end, played an entire series with the first-string defense and appeared with the starters in the
team's nickel packages.

"That's what they wanted me to do this week, so we practiced a lot at end to get a feel for it and everything," Haynesworth said. "I've still got a lot of work to do. I've got to stop trying to go up field and react to my guy that I'm playing; the offensive tackle or the
guard.

Shanahan would not offer an opinion on Haynesworth's performance, simply noting that he'd hoped to play Haynesworth about 30 plays. Haynesworth entered the game in the first quarter -- the Jets' first offensive possession, in fact -- and didn't leave until the third
quarter was finished. In the final stat sheet, Haynesworth was credited with assisting on one tackle.

"I still had that 4-3 mindset, trying to make plays and things like that," Haynesworth said. "I can definitely improve a whole lot but I didn't play horrible. I did [fine] for playing end the first time in a 3-4."

Haynesworth's relationship with the head coach has dominated the Redskins' training camp and preseason. After Haynesworth launched a couple of verbal grenades in the postgame locker room last week, both the defensive lineman and the head coach tried to defuse the situation.

Shanahan said Monday he had spoken with Haynesworth, but Haynesworth said the two did not have a formal meeting. "We talked a little bit more tonight. I think I saved his life from getting hit in the head with the ball," Haynesworth said.

By Rick Maese | August 28, 2010; 12:45 AM ET
Categories: Albert Haynesworth

Comments