NFL QB Battles in Arizona & Pittsburgh. Who Should Start??

Options
dbrazil412
dbrazil412 Members Posts: 9,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2010 in From the Cheap Seats
i'll start off with the back-up battle going on in Pittsburgh at the moment.

As everyone knows, Big Ben is gonna spend atleast the 1st 4 games of the regular season on suspenion, leaving the door open for byron leftwich & dennis dixon

obviously dixon is the more athletic of the 2, but also is inexperienced, and hasnt had much time practing with the 1st team O this preseason. that being said, dixon has looked rather impressive during the 1st 2 games this preseaon, albeit vs. the opposing teams 2/3 string guys

leftwich on the other hand has takin most of the snaps with the 1st teamers, and though looked rather terrible in the team's 1st preseason game against the lions, seemed to show a lil promise in the 2nd game against the giants, hooking up deep (nh) with mike wallace for a td.

i say the job should go to leftwich. he has the experience, and the arm strengh to make most any throw....granted their oline can give him time

in this situation, you cant really afford to try to find out if dixon is ready to start, as with leftwich, you already know what you're workin with

As for Arizona. you have 2 guys in matt lienart & derek anderson competing to replace future hall of famer kurt warner. (yeah i said it)

both guys have looked unimpressive in their preseaon games, and the door seems to be wide open for the job.

matt lienart was drafted by the cardinals in the 1st round in the 06 draft i believe, and was believed to be able to compete for the starting job with then veteran qb kurt warner (we all know how that went). but even in relief duty, or past preseason games, lienart has yet to show the abilty to make consistent down the field plays, and seems turnover prone. not to mention the lack of confidence it takes to lead a team.

which brings us to derek anderson. though he has a pro bowl apperance, has somewhat fell off over the past couple years, and last year was benched in favor of fellow scrub brady quinn. now he'll def have a better surrounding cast with the cardinals, so maybe he can return to his pro bowl form. he has shown the abilty to make any throw, yet like lienart, has been inconsistent alot of the time.

i think anderson should be the starter cause hes shown in the past that he can be a winner (with the browns no less). lienart seems to be a lost cause, and if the cardinals werent so stubborn & fail to realize that they have a bust on there hands, he would have been cut long ago.

Comments

• renagade410,
    renagade410, Members Posts: 669
    edited August 2010
    Options
    those first few games without big ben will pretty much determine if the steelers gonna contend for a playoff spot or not so even though dixon would generally be the better choice you need a vet for those first few games to step in(i would give dixon a shot and if he screws up the first game then go with leftwich) the steelers are going with leftwich

in arizona its almost a lose lose situation dont really matter who they chose but at least anderson had some sparks of brillance i honestly cant remember ever seeing anything that made me have even a little bit of faith in matt lienart...plus i think his mental ? up he prob startin to realize he a scrub and might not mentally have it in em to be a starting qb
  • BlackxChild
    BlackxChild Members Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Matt Leinart hasn't played as bad as ppl make it out to be he only has 3 incompletions and has had limited time to play and has done nothing to cause him to not be a starter. Derek Anderson just sucks
  • renagade410,
    renagade410, Members Posts: 669
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Matt Leinart hasn't played as bad as ppl make it out to be he only has 3 incompletions and has had limited time to play and has done nothing to cause him to not be a starter. Derek Anderson just sucks

i think its more so the hype that was behind him....kinda like troy smith...they both won the Heisman and neither has lived up to the high expectations that ppl had(even though it really isnt troy smith's fault cant say the same for lienart) i think lienart won the manning award also....i joke around that lienarts a scrub he's ok but nowhere near what ppl's expectations were
  • Beast_Side
    Beast_Side Members Posts: 779
    edited August 2010
    Options

He hasn't moved the offense. Hell he hasn't even gotten them a first down, in the preseason.
  • TheBoyRo
    TheBoyRo Members Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Matt Leinart was great at USC.................but then again who else coulda been great with reggie, bush, lendale white, dwayne jarett, stev etc. on ur team? leinart has been given too many chance to be the starting qb, has a great WR corps but still cant get ? done? on the other hand, derek has one good season and can be a solid no. 2 but s starter?dunno about that
  • d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Leinhart is the suck.

Another overrated USC player.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited August 2010
    Options
    As for Arizona... ? em I have no stake in the outcome

As for Pittsburgh.

I'm hoping these last two preseason games and practices leading up to the first game Dixon gets some snaps.

I though the played a very decent game against Baltimore last year. Not only was it his first real game, it was against one of the top 3 defenses in the league. He had a costly pick toward the end, but overall he was calm and collected most of the game. I don't have an issue with Leftwich, but with our line and his concrete foot havin ass, I think it's better for Dixon to get the start.
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Leinart's in the Tarvaris Jackson category.

I'd take Jeff Garcia over Leinart and Derek Anderson Lol...
  • dbrazil412
    edited August 2010
    Options

yeah but hes only averaging 7.7 yards an attempt...hes pretty much just checkin it down to his backs. i think in this next game, he has to compelete some throws down field, which he hasnt shown yet
  • dbrazil412
    edited August 2010
    Options
    As for Arizona... ? em I have no stake in the outcome

As for Pittsburgh.

I'm hoping these last two preseason games and practices leading up to the first game Dixon gets some snaps.

I though the played a very decent game against Baltimore last year. Not only was it his first real game, it was against one of the top 3 defenses in the league. He had a costly pick toward the end, but overall he was calm and collected most of the game. I don't have an issue with Leftwich, but with our line and his concrete foot havin ass, I think it's better for Dixon to get the start.

good point. dixon's abilty to make plays with his feet cant be overlooked with the steelers oline not playin up to par
  • detcatinva
    detcatinva Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    cardinals should start anderson. leinhart cant make plays down the field and has terrible footwork. steelers should start dixon cuz we all know leftwhich cant move in the pocket and his delivery is slow
  • KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Leinart May get cut so his chances of starting is pretty much ZERO ......

it was reported on NFL.com , they're not for sure that it's going to happen but they said it's a strong possibilty
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    start leftwich if he plays horrible to with dixon...

derek anderson over Leinart
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I don't give a ? what arizona is doing...But Dennis Dixon should be the starter for the pittsburgh steelers until big ben returns.
  • KeepOnPushing
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Oh yea Dixon over Leftwich , Dixon is a Solid Passer and can do some things with his feet also , he can move the chains more than one way , i'd go with him.
  • BlackxChild
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Leinart's in the Tarvaris Jackson category.

I'd take Jeff Garcia over Leinart and Derek Anderson Lol...

Tavaris Jackson had the highest qb rating of any in his last 6 games... Leinart has only thrown the ball 6 times per game while we know Anderson is nothing but a ? up.... Tavaris Jackson and Matt leinart haven't played many games in the NFL and get benched before they can prove anything. Tavaris Jackson is a winner and has better stats than Vince Young... I swear none of u have ur own opinion and just listen to whatever espn says. It's lime when espn says Romos not a leader yet on local radio they say he is and he's been cusing out his linemen.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Tavaris Jackson had the highest qb rating of any in his last 6 games... Leinart has only thrown the ball 6 times per game while we know Anderson is nothing but a ? up.... Tavaris Jackson and Matt leinart haven't played many games in the NFL and get benched before they can prove anything.................... Tavaris Jackson is a winner and has better stats than Vince Young... I swear none of u have ur own opinion and just listen to whatever espn says. It's lime when espn says Romos not a leader yet on local radio they say he is and he's been cusing out his linemen.

LMAO @ The bolded, come on son. Leinart has proven to be ass, and Tavaris had his chances, didn't make the most out of them. He was doing great the last 6 games he did start, but the 2-3 season before that he more than had his chances.
  • KeepOnPushing
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Tavaris Jackson had the highest qb rating of any in his last 6 games... Leinart has only thrown the ball 6 times per game while we know Anderson is nothing but a ? up.... Tavaris Jackson and Matt leinart haven't played many games in the NFL and get benched before they can prove anything. Tavaris Jackson is a winner and has better stats than Vince Young... I swear none of u have ur own opinion and just listen to whatever espn says. It's lime when espn says Romos not a leader yet on local radio they say he is and he's been cusing out his linemen.

Yea because curse words makes u a leader *sarcasm*

and Matt Leinart?? really?? the Same Matt Leinart who was the Starter And lost his Job to old ass Kurt Warner? they didnt even bring warner in to start when the cardinals got him, they brought him in to mentor, but leinart was so ass that they gave it to Warner.....

? Leinart cant even get a Basic Ass first Down in Pre-season ...
  • BlackxChild
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Yea because curse words makes u a leader *sarcasm*

and Matt Leinart?? really?? the Same Matt Leinart who was the Starter And lost his Job to old ass Kurt Warner? they didnt even bring warner in to start when the cardinals got him, they brought him in to mentor, but leinart was so ass that they gave it to Warner.....

? Leinart cant even get a Basic Ass first Down in Pre-season ...
    romo actually has more control over the team than ppl realize all I'm saying is espn fills u up with a bunch of bull... Yet Keyshawn Johnson was saying when he was with the boys romo was a leader but ppl ignore that