When people say Durant is gonna be the best player in 3 years, are they stupid?

Options
usmarin3
usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2010 in From the Cheap Seats
MF's acting like Wade and Lebron skills are gonna be diminished or something, both of those dudes are essentially gonna be in their prime (28,30). Durant might lead the league in scoring and all, but he will never be as dynamic a player as both Lebron or Wade imo, ? in 3 years Kobe might still be better than him and to be honest i don't see the Lakers falling off for a while.

Comments

• Conscious212
    Conscious212 Members Posts: 813 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    we'll he won't be as good as kobe and lebron and wade is just too versatile, but kevin is a already a top 4 player
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    MF's acting like Wade and Lebron skills are gonna be diminished or something, both of those dudes are essentially gonna be in their prime (28,30). Durant might lead the league in scoring and all, but he will never be as dynamic a player as both Lebron or Wade imo, ? in 3 years Kobe might still be better than him and to be honest i don't see the Lakers falling off for a while.

Yes and No. Durant is looking like that but he still has to put in work. All those players you've mention have won rings or have at least made it to the Finals, Durant has yet to do that. People may call me a stan but I think people are foolish when they say Lebron is the best in the league, he still aint seeing KB24.
  • sTaY_TrUe
    sTaY_TrUe Members Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Naw they not stupid. Durant is only 21, he's already arguably top 5. He only gonna get better. He got his own team and will have some better stats in certain areas than Bron/Wade since they share a team. 3 years might be pushing it but I wouldn't be surprised
  • ysl313
    ysl313 Members Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    durant will be better then lebron and wade now simply because they decided to team up, leading to reduced numbers for both...not to mention with bosh on their team too

durant has a bit of kobe's drive to lead unlike lebron and would rather have a team built around him then jump ship
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    If Lebron/Wade are going to share the team some of their numbers will drop a bit...unless they just ? on everybody and both drop 30 a night no matter what

Kobe is ? ...

Durant is on HIS team...

Not really illogical to say he will be on top pause

Scoring might drop but assist, rebounds, and defensive numbers will go up. There are other ways to affect the game other than scoring, that's why i said Durant isn't as dynamic as those dudes. They don't have to score to affect the game.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited August 2010
    Options
    So let me get this straight....

Just about every post in here is saying that Durant will be better because he will be putting up better stats than Lebron and Wade because they teamed up.

Yet Lebron puts up better stats than Kobe and he isn't?

LMAO y'all don't think before posting.
  • ysl313
    ysl313 Members Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options

Just about every post in here is saying that Durant will be better because he will be putting up better stats than Lebron and Wade because they teamed up.

that kobe vs lebron talk ended in them playoff games boy...and that whole hour long ordeal just to say "I'm riley's ? now"
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I just see it as hyperbole. He'll definitely be an elite player. People wanna sound smart though so they'll bet on him.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Not at all.. but the people who put him in the discussion as the best players in the league are.. he's on his way. but in this media age.. people are given accolades.. and titles that they havent earned and shouldnt hold... He is on his way.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited August 2010
    Options
    ysl313 wrote: »
    that kobe vs lebron talk ended in them playoff games boy...and that whole hour long ordeal just to say "I'm riley's ? now"

Lebron in the playoffs >>>>>>>>>>>> Durant though

Lebron gave up this year that was evident.

So again someone explain to me how one player is labeled better because of stats when others aren't.

If one player having better stats than everyone else = best player in the league simply off stats that would be true for every player who averages the best statistical line.
  • radaman
    radaman Members Posts: 11,912 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options

good point.....…
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Kobe has the league on lock until he decides to retire....Just stating facts.
  • yroholla
    yroholla Members Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options

Lol agreed......that's why I always say it isn't always about stats.... give me the guy with great stats and more intangibles than the guy with better stats with less intangibles
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I swear the title said in 3 years not right now

ok hi cs

What does that have to do with what I said?

In three years Im positive the heat in the playoffs will be better than OKC.

So what does three years have to do with it what I said about numbers.

Nothing, in three years putting up the best statistical line doesn't mean you're the best. If it does, then it would hold true for the entire time prior also.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited August 2010
    Options
    So since the Lakers were better in the playoffs than the Cavs...

Kobe >>>>>>>> Lebron

No... The Cavs dominate the Lakers the last few years.

They just disappear and quit come playoff time so we never get to see a great finals.

Your assessment is nothing more than opinion.

Still can't no one answer the original question though, pathetic.
  • Dick Shitman
    Dick Shitman Members Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    fact: this thread is not going to turn into a lebron-kobe thread
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    ? Shitman wrote: »
    fact: this thread is not going to turn into a lebron-kobe thread

True the comparisons are asinine.... and disrespectful
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited August 2010
    Options
    The original question of why will Durant be better in 3 years?

I think he will be better than both Wade and Lebron (and Kobe if we are talking about him in this as well) because he will HAVE to be better (assuming he stays in OKC)...Lebron and Wade can coast off each other through a lot of games, Durant has to be the team and I think he will be better because of it

The question of why is Kobe >>>>>>> Lebron?

Better player in my opinion, better skill set, I feel like the best thing Lebron has going for him is his athleticism/size ratio...even Lebron said Kobe has better basketball skills than him

and Kobe is a winner, I don't consider Lebron one (not basing off rings)

It ain't about Lebron and Kobe.

You said Durant will be better because he will have better stats. So did about 6 other people.

If that will be the case in three years, then why do the better overall stats not determine the best now?

You still haven't answered.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited August 2010
    Options
    When looking into the future what else can you base it off of?

When looking at what has already happened you can base a comparison off both stats and what has already happened.

Comparing a hypothetical =/= Comparing what has happened

Well it wouldn't be better numbers then.

If that was case all throughout history the best players from each era except Jordan and Wilt would get bumped out and there would be no argument.

Your best case would be to say

In three years Durants passing, defense, ball handling will improve tremendously and surpass Lebron and Wade's skill and he will limit his turnovers making him the most dominate guy overall in the league. I also believe he will obtain more championships than both Lebron and Dwayne when his time is over.

Stats don't tell close to the whole story, they help determine certain aspects, like who has the better shot from the outside, but in the paint, rebounding, assist, etc.. are useless, they can be swayed very easily.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited August 2010
    Options
    or I can just say...

Durant will be the best in the league.

That would be saying you know that for a fact. In which you don't. For all we know Telfair could magically turn into a Jordan, a game of what if's is equal to every player.

You believe Durant will be the best... fine

Will having the best statistical line in the NBA mean he's the best. Yes if he's making the playoffs and winning games.

My main issue was why it means yes for Durant but no for other players.
  • BDBIID
    BDBIID Members Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    idk if he'll be better than bron in 3 yrs. cuz that's all opinion...but ? forgettin that D-Wade will be 33 in 3 yrs so i would think Durant would be past him beacuse age and injury history don't add up good.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited August 2010
    Options
    The BDB wrote: »
    idk if he'll be better than bron in 3 yrs. cuz that's all opinion...but ? forgettin that D-Wade will be 33 in 3 yrs so i would think Durant would be past him beacuse age and injury history don't add up good.

No he won't be 33. Unless our years are extended by 365 more days.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited August 2010
    Options
    In my opinion the best argument for the FUTURE will be basing it off increased stats...it is obvious stats help an argument in any comparison of players but if said events have already occurred you can base it off many more things. I can easily bring up a plethora of factors that can "possibly" happen since there is no way to say that it won't happen (especially with the Telfair reference) but in MY opinion, the stats way would be the best way to go, he will continue to improve while Lebron and Wade will not really need to...

Right so basically you think Durant will be better because he will continue to bust his ass where as Lebron and Wade won't because they can fall back on each other and Bosh and take nights off. Understandable.
  • yroholla
    yroholla Members Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Smh......there's actually people out there who think Durant is better than Wade now......ppl need to reevaluate their bball knowledge....and even if Durant actually becomes the best player in 3 years it ain't like he gonna have real competition for that title based off the talent we have today unless Wade takes the mean back seat and let's LeBron go off
  • BDBIID
    BDBIID Members Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    No he won't be 33. Unless our years are extended by 365 more days.

o my fault 32 lol