New book to allege violations made by University of Miami football

Options
caddo man
caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2010 in From the Cheap Seats
Five months ago, UM's website called Nevin Shapiro ``an ardent, devoted, intense supporter.'' A student lounge was named in his honor.
Now, facing years in prison for allegedly running a Ponzi scheme, Shapiro is writing a book about the UM football program in which he alleges former Canes players committed NCAA violations, said his attorney, Maria Elena Perez. Perez said Shapiro told the federal government about the violations, which are alleged to be major, but it did not investigate because ``that's not their area.''
Shapiro, who lived in a posh Miami Beach home before his April arrest, said from a New Jersey jail that he will not detail the allegations until the book is published; he's aiming for December. He wrote a first draft and will seek a publisher. The title: The Real U: 2001 to 2010. Inside the Eye of the Hurricane.
UM's website said Shapiro, who had a suite at games, contributed $150,000 to the athletic program; prosecutors allege he used ``stolen funds'' for that. Shapiro said he donated $300,000 to UM, and that $130,000 was returned to the bankruptcy trustee.
Shapiro has said he was close with Jon Beason, Devin Hester, Antrel Rolle, Randy Phillips, Robert Marve, Kyle Wright and others when they played at UM, plus former UM assistant coach/recruiting coordinator Clint Hurtt, now at Louisville.
``This will be a tell-all book from a fan and booster perspective,'' said Shapiro, who did not attend UM. But why write a book that will hurt UM?
``I want to make the average fan aware of what really exists under that uniform,'' he said. ``They might be great players, but they're certainly not great people. I'm speaking of no less than 100 former players.''
Shapiro, 41, is angry because ``once the players became pros, they turned their back on me. It made me feel like a used friend.'' He was motivated by ``heartbreak and disappointment on behalf of the university, which I considered to be an extended part of my family.''
He said the heartbreak was caused by ``former players mostly'' and ``some administrative staff and coaches. I've always had the utmost respect for Donna Shalala, Kirby Hocutt and Paul Dee.''
Shapiro will use book profits to pay back investors in the alleged Ponzi scheme but cannot keep any for himself, Perez said.
Some players call Shapiro ``Little Luke'' after Luther Campbell, who years ago gave cash to UM players for big hits.
When he specifies the allegations, the NCAA will decide whether to investigate. Asked if the NCAA investigates claims by people in jail, spokesperson Stacey Osburn said, ``When reasonably reliable information has been obtained indicating intentional violations may have occurred, the enforcement staff will undertake a review of the information in order to determine the credibility.'' Factors considered include ``how they know the reported facts and what their potential motivation may be,'' among others. UM's Hocutt declined to comment.
Perez said Shapiro will accept a plea deal on money laundering and security fraud charges and will go to prison for an undetermined time. Prosecutors said Shapiro, 41, used a Florida-based company called Capitol Investments USA Inc., to raise nearly $900 million from investors who thought they were buying into a wholesale grocery distribution business. Instead, they said Shapiro left at least 60 investors in Florida, Indiana and New Jersey with about $80 million in losses after the scheme collapsed.
``He's accepting responsibility for his conduct and making his best effort to give everyone back their money,'' Perez said. ``It was a legitimate business until 2007. An individual who was close to him stole $20 million from him and that set him back.''
• The NCAA continues to investigate UM for recruiting-related text messages in football, women's track and baseball. But one UM official said those violations are considered a 2.5 on a scale of 1 to 10, and major sanctions aren't expected.
CHATTER
• Several Canes freshmen have come on strong; one UM staffer said coaches expect ballyhooed offensive tackle Seantrel Henderson -- who has impressed but must improve on blitz pickups -- will play this season. UM could move tackle Joel Figueroa back to guard if Harland Gunn struggles.
There is sentiment toward reshirting Storm Johnson, but his play in practice (runs and returns) has made that decision more difficult. Among other newcomers, UM is especially pleased with tight ends Chase Ford (great receiver but blocking must improve) and Asante Cleveland, center Brandon Linder, safety Kacy Rodgers, cornerback Devont'a Davis and linebacker James Gaines.

Good read!

Comments

• killap
    killap Members Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    This could get interesting...I can't say I'm surprised though
  • caddo man
    edited August 2010
    Options
    ACC teams starting to come up just to go back to obscurity(just made that up)
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    all of college football is being shaken up. and i think lane kiffen is upset and so he's snitching on everyone so he isn't the only one carrying violations
  • TheBoyRo
    TheBoyRo Members Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I will probably read the book, i love my UM football team, but with everything that happened in the 80s and 90s, this isnt suprising, i just dont like the fact that dude sounds bitter cause the former UM players arent part of UM anymore so they dont need to associate with him.
  • dc's teflondon
    dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    he writing a book because former players used his ass for his money and now his money running out he wants hand outs from them to pay back investors he swindled...i guess he thought all these poor black kids really like him when he was giving them money and thought that would forge life-long relationships...also did his ponzi scheme take some of the players money
  • caddo man
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Dude is mad but he should know that young guys are fickle.

What do you think would happen when you throw money in the face of kids? If he wanted to forge a life long relationship. show them how to manage money. something maybe someone should have done for him.

When you make a difference in someones life they remember you longer than someone you partied with.