Worst Teams to Win a Championship? (Any Sport)

Options
Legend24
Legend24 Members Posts: 689 ✭✭
edited August 2010 in From the Cheap Seats
In recent memory, the 2004 Pistons come to mind. Probably not the worst of all time but I'm drawing blanks so I made this thread.

I think they would have lost to every championship team dating back as far as I can remember off the top of my head. Maybe they could have beaten the '06 Miami Heat? Don't think so though.

MLB: 2003 Florida Marlins?

Comments

• Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    the 06' heat were sort of a garbage team!!
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I don't think the Pistons were the worst, but rather the only team to win it without any real star power. They was one hell of a team when Chauncey and both Wallace's were in their prime. And Rip and Prince were also two very good players.

77 Portland Trail Blazers
  • Tommy Billfiger
    Tommy Billfiger Banned Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    You crazy the 03 marlins had a squad

The beat the giants and cubs who both won their divisions and beat the yankees in 6 and trailed every series they played in, was down 3-1 and came back

Beckett,Pavano,brad penny,Dontrelle willis,aj burnett was they rotation

Derrek lee,juan pierre,luis castillo,miguel cabrera,Pudge rodriguez,encarcion and mike lowell the line up

Thats talent

06 heat were garbage to me they were mad inconsistent all year they were lightning in a bottle in the playoffs
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    The 2000 Baltimore ravens
  • BootyButterPi
    BootyButterPi Members Posts: 1,436 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    spurs. every time. cant hate. but im sayin.
  • hotrock11
    hotrock11 Members Posts: 10
    edited August 2010
    Options
  • ysl313
    ysl313 Members Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Legend24 wrote: »
    In recent memory, the 2004 Pistons come to mind. Probably not the worst of all time but I'm drawing blanks so I made this thread.

I think they would have lost to every championship team dating back as far as I can remember off the top of my head. Maybe they could have beaten the '06 Miami Heat? Don't think so though.

MLB: 2003 Florida Marlins?

how the ? were the pistons the worse?
    explain that in detail? No star power? don't matter...they were the better team
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options

C'Mon Son

That defense will go down in history
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options

seeing as how nobody on the internet could cosign that statement, its being moved. that was a team with one of the best defenses in the history of the NFL, and a 1300 yard rusher
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    spurs. every time. cant hate. but im sayin.

spurs were boring, but garbage they were not!
  • Darius
    edited August 2010
    Options
    i'm going to have to say the NC State team that beat Houston in the final four

they wouldn't have even been in the ncaa tournament had they not won the ACC tournament. and they barely won their the games they did play in the NCAA tournament. it took them 2 overtimes to beat pepperdine in the first round
  • Dick Shitman
    Dick Shitman Members Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    this years duke team
  • Darius
    edited August 2010
    Options
    cosing. duke and nc state have to woat title teams
  • Legend24
    edited August 2010
    Options
    ysl313 wrote: »
    how the ? were the pistons the worse?
    explain that in detail? No star power? don't matter...they were the better team

Better team than what? The only championship team I can think of in the last 20 or so years that would lose to the Pistons is probably the 06 Heat.

Who else are they beating?
  • allied
    allied Members Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    2006 St. Louis Cardinals
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    seeing as how nobody on the internet could cosign that statement, its being moved. that was a team with one of the best defenses in the history of the NFL, and a 1300 yard rusher

The defense was good but the offense was ? . They went a whole month without scoring an offensive touchdown. And if i recall correctly that superbowl game was boring as hell.
  • Legend24
    edited August 2010
    Options
    You crazy the 03 marlins had a squad

The beat the giants and cubs who both won their divisions and beat the yankees in 6 and trailed every series they played in, was down 3-1 and came back

Beckett,Pavano,brad penny,Dontrelle willis,aj burnett was they rotation

Derrek lee,juan pierre,luis castillo,miguel cabrera,Pudge rodriguez,encarcion and mike lowell the line up

Thats talent

06 heat were garbage to me they were mad inconsistent all year they were lightning in a bottle in the playoffs

Being down in a series is nothing to be proud about... being down 1-3 shows me that this team probably wasn't one of the best.

It took them max games to win every series except for against the Yankees.

Their regular season was less than stellar.

I'm not saying there weren't ? teams that have won a world series, but your argument seems to support my point more so than yours. Instead of being on top like a true dominant team, they were "clawing their way back".
  • Darius
    edited August 2010
    Options
    The defense was good but the offense was ? . They went a whole month without scoring an offensive touchdown. And if i recall correctly that superbowl game was boring as hell.

their passing game was weak, but they had jamal lewis when he was still in the coke game and priest holmes. and the superbowl wasn't close at all b/c of how great the defense was. i believe the only points the giants scored was on a kickoff return
  • ysl313
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Better team than what? The only championship team I can think of in the last 20 or so years that would lose to the Pistons is probably the 06 Heat.

Who else are they beating?

54–28 record
    Larry Brown as the head coach
    2nd best defense in the entire league behind the san antoino spurs
    four of there starters ended up on the all star team the next year...

I'm confident with the way they shut down thos elakers they could have done it again
    explain your self again, how were they overrated? it was a pure defense team that shut down the dominant l.a. lakers
  • Legend24
    edited August 2010
    Options
    ysl313 wrote: »
    54–28 record
    Larry Brown as the head coach
    2nd best defense in the entire league behind the san antoino spurs
    four of there starters ended up on the all star team the next year...

I'm confident with the way they shut down thos elakers they could have done it again
    explain your self again, how were they overrated? it was a pure defense team that shut down the dominant l.a. lakers

I never said they were overrated.

Please up your reading comprehension if you're going to argue with me. Go back and re-read the original post.
  • ysl313
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I never said they were overrated.

Please up your reading comprehension if you're going to argue with me. Go back and re-read the original post.

the point of the thread was which team was the most overrated right?
    you basically called the pistons overrated by saying they couldn't beat anyone other then the heat and those lakers...logically your defending the point that they were overated
  • Darius
    edited August 2010
    Options
    i don't think the most overrated teams to win and worst teams to win are the same thing.
  • BDBIID
    BDBIID Members Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    ? Shitman wrote: »
    this years duke team

co-sign.........
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited August 2010
    Options
    2001 New England Patriots.
  • Darius
    edited August 2010
    Options
    probably any team is gonna have to be a college bball team, i don't see how a case could be made for any pro team