What/Who gives the Bible it's Authority?

Options
bootsy_jenkins
bootsy_jenkins Members Posts: 502 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
I have a friend that is a Christian. He constantly rants about how one should watch out for deception, and question all books because they are from man, and therefore can be disinformation and easily manipulated. I told him that same could be said about the Bible and other religious texts. He replied that the Bible is the word of ? . I replied again "SAYS WHO?" The people that follow the religion? The gate-keeps for the faith? Who!?!
He could not give me a proper response. What say you?

Comments

• ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited August 2010
    Options
    People and Fear
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    The Bible has a lot references to Shepherds and Sheep...
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Possibly this one single verse:

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture [is] given by inspiration of ? , and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Now the debate should be what is meant by "inspired".
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    ? gives the Bible it's authority because it is His word.

"For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven." Psalm 119:89

The constant attacks on it have been fueled by satan for thousands of years, but yet the Bible is still here today. Glorfiy ? my brother and praise His holy name!

"The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our ? stands forever."
    Isaiah 40:8

No other book has withstood the test of time like the Bible has. Nothing can defeat it. Nobody can stop it from accomplishing it's purpose. And no one can succeed in getting rid of it. People have tried to destroy it but have utterly failed time and time again. Now their carcasses are rotting, while the word of ? is still enduring to this very moment and will continue to endure for all eternity. Praise ? !

"Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away."
    Matthew 24:35
  • memphis
    memphis Members Posts: 201
    edited August 2010
    Options

"For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven." Psalm 119:89

The constant attacks on it have been fueled by satan for thousands of years, but yet the Bible is still here today. Glorfiy ? my brother and praise His holy name!

"The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our ? stands forever."
    Isaiah 40:8

No other book has withstood the test of time like the Bible has. Nothing can defeat it. Nobody can stop it from accomplishing it's purpose. And no one can succeed in getting rid of it. People have tried to destroy it but have utterly failed time and time again. Now their carcasses are rotting, while the word of ? is still enduring to this very moment and will continue to endure for all eternity. Praise ? !

"Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away."
    Matthew 24:35

The Bible was written by man. ? had nothing to do with it

And there are many books that have been around longer, thus dispelling your claim that "no other book has withstood the test of time like the bible has". For instance, Plato's Republic, and Aristotles The Politics, Nichomachean ethics have been around logner than the christian bible. Almsot by a 1000 years
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited August 2010
    Options
    memphis wrote: »
    The sky is blue.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited August 2010
    Options
    The sky is blue.

So you acknowledge that fact. That's a start
  • tri3w
    tri3w Members Posts: 3,142 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options

And there are many books that have been around longer, thus dispelling your claim that "no other book has withstood the test of time like the bible has". For instance, Plato's Republic, and Aristotles The Politics, Nichomachean ethics have been around logner than the christian bible. Almsot by a 1000 years

Well he didnt say it was the oldest, ...........made mention of the Various attempts to try to disprove it; None of the books u have Mentioned really have anybody trynna Disprove them like they have with the bible...........Say wat u Want, Judahism and Christianity is Still Goin Strong because of the Bible
  • memphis
    memphis Members Posts: 201
    edited August 2010
    Options
    tri3w wrote: »
    Well he didnt say it was the oldest, ...........made mention of the Various attempts to try to disprove it; None of the books u have Mentioned really have anybody trynna Disprove them like they have with the bible...........Say wat u Want, Judahism and Christianity is Still Goin Strong because of the Bible

considering the books I have mentioned, have been around longer, and are still being read and studied today, then I did dispell his claim that "no other book..."
  • major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    LOL, you gotta give DoU his credit, that dude will come up with an answer for ANY question you come up with.

Random poster: Why are most bibles bound in black leather?

DoU: Well, my brother, let me direct you to Ezekiel Chapter 2.....
  • bootsy_jenkins
    bootsy_jenkins Members Posts: 502 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options

So ? gives the bible it's authority because it says that he does in the BIBLE!??!

How ridiculous is that statement?

And no other book has withstood the test of time? I take it that you don't read very much.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited August 2010
    Options
    considering the books I have mentioned, have been around longer, and are still being read and studied today, then I did dispell his claim that "no other book..."
    Who goes around trying to dispute Plato or Aristotle? Nobody. But yet, the Bible has more manuscripts than any of those books you mentioned and yet people still try to discredit it's authenticity, its authorship, and it's authority. Go figure.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited August 2010
    Options
    major pain wrote: »
    LOL, you gotta give DoU his credit, that dude will come up with an answer for ANY question you come up with.

Random poster: Why are most bibles bound in black leather?

DoU: Well, my brother, let me direct you to Ezekiel Chapter 2.....

"15But sanctify the Lord ? in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: 16Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ." 1 Peter 3:15-16

You always have to be ready to answer. ? gives wisdom to those who earnestly seek Him. ? bless.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited August 2010
    Options
    So ? gives the bible it's authority because it says that he does in the BIBLE!??!

How ridiculous is that statement?

And no other book has withstood the test of time? I take it that you don't read very much.

Not ridiculous at all considering the fact that every word of ? is true and pure.

"Every word of ? is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him." Proverbs 30:5

Why do you think the Bible is attacked so much? Because people hate truth. Like Jack so eloquently stated in this famous clip.

So because people can't not handle the truth, they run from it and try to fight it. But little do they know, the truth will always reveal the secrets of the heart. What a sight it will be on the last day when the wicked are judged. No more pomp. No more circumstance. No more boasting. No more pride. No more haughtiness. No more chest pounding. Just shame and humilation awaits all those who will stand before ? condemned. What a tragedy.

19And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. 21But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in ? . "
    John 3:19-21
  • major pain
    edited August 2010
    Options
    "15But sanctify the Lord ? in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: 16Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ." 1 Peter 3:15-16

You always have to be ready to answer. ? gives wisdom to those who earnestly seek Him. ? bless.

I feel you, but what happens in the case where 2 believers have a different answer to the same question. You need to leave some room for the human error in this equation at least in my opinion.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited August 2010
    Options
    major pain wrote: »
    I feel you, but what happens in the case where 2 believers have a different answer to the same question. You need to leave some room for the human error in this equation at least in my opinion.

It happens a lot my brother. In the case of non-essentials I will just have to respectfully agree to disagree. But in the case of essentials I will not agree to disagree because essentials are the foundation to salvation. Essentials being the deity of Jesus Christ, His sinless life, His ? birth, His future return in glory, the creation of the world by the word of ? , the creation of Adam and Eve, etc.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited August 2010
    Options
    DoU why does the devil continuously hold me down and why has ? not came to help yet.
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Who goes around trying to dispute Plato or Aristotle? Nobody. But yet, the Bible has more manuscripts than any of those books you mentioned and yet people still try to discredit it's authenticity, its authorship, and it's authority. Go figure.

lol there's no one on this message board that has worse analogies than you.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited August 2010
    Options
    DoU why does the devil continuously hold me down and why has ? not came to help yet.
    Because you have not asked Christ to come into your life.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options

Has christ helped you out with those lustful eyes you had sometime ago?

Sincere question, no mockery.
  • major pain
    edited August 2010
    Options

3405412121_c05854c11f.jpg

• DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Chike wrote: »
    lol there's no one on this message board that has worse analogies than you.
    What are you even talking about Chike? Memphis brought Plato and Aristotle up in a previous post. I was just using them to illustrate my original point. The Bible is tried and true. It has stood the test of time despite the constant attacks on it. No one can dispute this fact. ? bless.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Has christ helped you out with those lustful eyes you had sometime ago?

Sincere question, no mockery.
    "Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak." Matthew 26:41

When I yeild to the spirit I have victory, but when I trust in my flesh I fall. I am a sinner my friend. The chief of all sinners. I am totally vile, totally corrupt, totally ? . My whole nature is at enemity with ? . But thanks be to ? that He provided me with a way of escape, which is through my Lord Jesus Christ. It is only in Him that I can experience victory. And when I listen and obey Him, I do get the victory. But as long as I am on this earth in this sinful flesh, the ? of the eyes, the pride of life, and the thoughts of heart will continue to plague me because I am a sinner. But I am redeemed. And because I am redeemed I no longer let sin have the mastery over me. But yes, I do still slip and fall. Thank ? that i have somebody who will lift me up when I fall though. I go to Jesus Christ with all my hurts, troubles, pains, and sins. And because He is a faithful high priest, He cleanses me and forgives all my iniquities. Hallelujah!

" 8If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us."
    1 John 1:8-10
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited August 2010
    Options
    What are you even talking about Chike? Memphis brought Plato and Aristotle up in a previous post. I was just using them to illustrate my original point. The Bible is tried and true. It has stood the test of time despite the constant attacks on it. No one can dispute this fact. ? bless.

It could be because there are actual physical things to prove that Aristotle and Plato existed. There are many books written about those guys where as the bible ? and the biblical Jesus have no real artefactual evidence nor do multiple books outside of Christianity speak about them.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited August 2010
    Options

And yea I did for a while, about 6-7 years. And then i said ? it I'll go find him on my own...... been one hell of a journey.