What Makes A Album "Classic Status" to You?

Options
Supreme_Mind999
Supreme_Mind999 Members Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2010 in The Reason
What ingredients have to be in your audio meal for you to deem it as a Classic dish?

Is it lyrics?

Is it Beats?

Is It Mind Blowing Concepts?

Is It Personalty and Charisma?

Is It Replay Value?

Come and Drop Your Thoughts on What You Think makes a Classic Album

Comments

• Miles HIGH
    Miles HIGH Members Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Creativity, replay value, and it has to be able to flow from track one to the last track. That doesn't mean I have to like every single song, but they should all have a purpose and at least be listenable.
  • ysl313
    ysl313 Members Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    entertainment
    it's a combination of everything posted...simple as that
    you can have thought provoking material, but if it's not done in a wya thats entertaining, you'll get one listen

lupe brought socially consensu material and dope music that was entertaining on both F&L and The Cool

Kanye was the same on CD and LR

it's all about making whatever your doing, as entertaining as possible...whether it be music, movies, or television. The wire was one of the most thought provoking shows in the black community a few years back and only was respected and scene because it entertained so much so.
  • Mvpbrodie93
    Mvpbrodie93 Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Everything you said in the opening post

beats
    lyrics(that match them)
    replay
    staying fresh

But To honest supreme, alot Of people Don't have Their own defintion of a classic

they just dickride whatever "heads" they know opinion. Ive actually asked someone if they thought an album is a classic,
    and they said
    "idk, i've NEVER heard a hip hop head say it"

I'm like WTF? Form your own dam opinion
  • Supreme_Mind999
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Miles HIGH wrote: »
    Creativity, replay value, and it has to be able to flow from track one to the last track. That doesn't mean I have to like every single song, but they should all have a purpose and at least be listenable.

So consistency is a major plus for you..So you prefer a album have a overall tone? Like the beats are not the same but they have similarites?..Ex..BMF & Mc hammer off Teflon don
  • Supreme_Mind999
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Everything you said in the opening post

beats
    lyrics(that match them)
    replay
    staying fresh

But To honest supreme, alot Of people Don't have Their own defintion of a classic

they just dickride whatever "heads" they know opinion. Ive actually asked someone if they thought an album is a classic,
    and they said
    "idk, i've NEVER heard a hip hop head say it"

I'm like WTF? Form your own dam opinion

So a classic to you is a album that can stand the test of time and still be labeled as dope by a huge group of people?

Yeah I can't stand bandwagon hoppers...ol robot ass ? can't think for themselves lol
  • Mr.Audigier216
    Mr.Audigier216 Members Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    What ingredients have to be in your audio meal for you to deem it as a Classic dish?

Is it lyrics?

Is it Beats?

Is It Mind Blowing Concepts?

Is It Personalty and Charisma?

Is It Replay Value?

Come and Drop Your Thoughts on What You Think makes a Classic Album

its a combo of them all......when that album has that feel that its perfect....then its a classic
  • Miles HIGH
    Miles HIGH Members Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    So consistency is a major plus for you..So you prefer a album have a overall tone? Like the beats are not the same but they have similarites?..Ex..BMF & Mc hammer off Teflon don

Yeah, any good album should have a musical tone to it. The beats, topics, etc, should flow with whatever the theme of the record is. A lotta recent artists don't know how to stick to a theme and make a complete album anymore. But as far as Teflon Don, I feel like by the time you get to "Super High" the ? goes bad. That track with Trey Songz and Diddy is horrible, and I didn't really like BMF and MC Hammer bein back to back like that. Personally, I think he shoulda left MC Hammer off. He recycled three tracks on the album that we had already heard on his mixtape. That's wack. "Aston Martin Music" kinda brings it back, even though I don't like Ross's verses, and "All The Money In The World" is solid. But overall, that to me is an example of a failed attempt at a classic album, even though it was dope and I ? wit Rick Ross.
  • BossIntellect
    BossIntellect Members Posts: 382
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Lyrics, Production, Weather or not I could listen to it in 5 years and still love it as if I just bought it

Late Registration is a classic to me because this was Ye at his very best and hopefully the next album will be classic as well.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Every song on the album is good and/or serves its purpose, and the album has replay value.
  • Neslom
    Neslom Members Posts: 431
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Unskippable songs that have an overall cohesive sound. Like Miles HIGH wrote, "a musical tone".

Not just a bunch of singles put on a CD
  • curtis75black
    curtis75black Members Posts: 606
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Production still being dope to listen to but overall the lyrics being relevant 10-15 years later. If a emcee was to remake those same tracks in a different flavor, would they still carry on ? Classic is re-living the youth you had. If I was to pick up a cd and I don't have that same feeling as I had back in the day, its not classic in my eyes. Just a bunch of songs.
  • beats&rhymes
    beats&rhymes Members Posts: 195
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Classic hip hop music to me is timeless, for me their is no such thing as an instant classic, it has to stand the test of time. It is a perfect example of beats and rhymes from start to finish. It's not just good, it's flawless.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited August 2010
    Options
    It's a combination of dope rhymes, concepts, subject matter, and great production.