Classic albums released in the 00's that are better than classics from the 90's.

Options
5th Letter
5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
edited August 2010 in The Reason
Are there any classic albums released in the 00's that are better than a classic album from the 90's? Like for example would I be wrong if I said College Dropout was better than DMX Its dark and Hell is Hot?

Comments

• NAWLEDGE_REIGNS
    NAWLEDGE_REIGNS Members Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    The Cold Vein
    Violent By Design
    Deltron 3030
  • 5th Letter
    edited August 2010
    Options
    The Cold Vein
    Violent By Design
    Deltron 3030

who are those albums from?
  • enomujacku
    enomujacku Members Posts: 992
    edited August 2010
    Options
    jamacia wrote: »
    Are there any classic albums released in the 00's that are better than a classic album from the 90's? Like for example would I be wrong if I said College Dropout was better than DMX Its dark and Hell is Hot?
    its a few alotta 90's joints like stillmatic, blueprint, college dropout and supreme clientele but its wayyyyy too many classics from the 90's to compare those timelines.
  • NAWLEDGE_REIGNS
    edited August 2010
    Options
    who are those albums from?

Cannibal OX
    Jedi Mind Tricks
    Deltron 3030
  • 5th Letter
    edited August 2010
    Options
    enomujacku wrote: »
    its a few alotta 90's joints like stillmatic, blueprint, college dropout and supreme clientele but its wayyyyy too many classics from the 90's to compare those timelines.

I would say Supreme Clientele is better than Iron Man.
  • 5th Letter
    edited August 2010
    Options

Cannibal OX
    Jedi Mind Tricks
    Deltron 3030

Never heard those albums. What classics are those albums better than?
  • NAWLEDGE_REIGNS
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Never heard those albums. What classics are those albums better than?

Give Them A Listen Youll Be Blown Away (no ? )...Not Sure If There Better Than Established Classics But Theyre Atleast As Good If Not Better
  • Mvpbrodie93
    Mvpbrodie93 Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options

I thought you said a classic album has to change the genre and have impact in order to be a classic. How did it's dark n he'll is hot do that?
  • 5th Letter
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I thought you said a classic album has to change the genre and have impact in order to be a classic. How did it's dark n he'll is hot do that?

Nah I said that is part of the criteria but I also said not every classic has to change the game. I remember having that discussion in a thread a few months ago.
  • InMyLifeTime91
    InMyLifeTime91 Members Posts: 1,289
    edited August 2010
    Options

i would disagree wit that 100% College dropout was a classic but not touchin Its Dark & Hell Is Hot... i dont think the 00's has produced nearly as many classics as the 90's did. nowadays muthfuckas r quick to call something a classic, i saw sum ? on MTV interviewing Bun B n he told Bun that Trill O.G. was a classic!!!! lmao he was either ? rideing or dont kno ? about hiphop
  • 5th Letter
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Give Them A Listen Youll Be Blown Away (no ? )...Not Sure If There Better Than Established Classics But Theyre Atleast As Good If Not Better

I will give them a listen I am always up for something different.
  • 5th Letter
    edited August 2010
    Options
    i would disagree wit that 100% College dropout was a classic but not touchin Its Dark & Hell Is Hot... i dont think the 00's has produced nearly as many classics as the 90's did. nowadays muthfuckas r quick to call something a classic, i saw sum ? on MTV interviewing Bun B n he told Bun that Trill O.G. was a classic!!!! lmao he was either ? rideing or dont kno ? about hiphop

Well the Source declared Trill OG a classic with it's five mic rating.
  • InMyLifeTime91
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Well the Source declared Trill OG a classic with it's five mic rating.

i dont think 5 mics means its a classic, or the "XXL" in the XXL Mag doesnt mean its a classic either.. a classic album has to stand the test of time. u have to be able to come back atleast 5 years later and still be able to listen to every track. i've seen weak ass albums get 4 mics or XL in them magazines. whoever they wanna get a interview with is who they gonna give a high rateing
  • 5th Letter
    edited August 2010
    Options
    i dont think 5 mics means its a classic, or the "XXL" in the XXL Mag doesnt mean its a classic either.. a classic album has to stand the test of time. u have to be able to come back atleast 5 years later and still be able to listen to every track. i've seen weak ass albums get 4 mics or XL in them magazines. whoever they wanna get a interview with is who they gonna give a high rateing

But five mics according to the source does mean the album was classic. A classic def has to stand the test of time.
  • InMyLifeTime91
    edited August 2010
    Options
    But five mics according to the source does mean the album was classic. A classic def has to stand the test of time.

yeah but the source is a business. and theyre bias at that. did they give Marshhall Mathers LP, and Get Rich Or Die Tryin 5 mics? probly not, and both of them r 2 of the best albums ever made..if they did get 5 mics let me kno, im just guessin they didnt cuz benzino ? ass
  • 5th Letter
    edited August 2010
    Options
    yeah but the source is a business. and theyre bias at that. did they give Marshhall Mathers LP, and Get Rich Or Die Tryin 5 mics? probly not, and both of them r 2 of the best albums ever made..if they did get 5 mics let me kno, im just guessin they didnt cuz benzino ? ass

A lot of great albums never got 5 mics. Maybe the beef had something to do with it, but who knows.
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options

College Dropout and numerous other albums from '00 is an album I'd easily put over It's Dark and Hell Is Hot. I remember when IDAHIH came out. At the time it was THAT album, but to me it's overhyped. It has some dope songs, but I didn't hear anything special about it.

Out of the albums considered classic from the '00's the only ones that are better than classics from the '90's are College Dropout, Blueprint,The Fix, Stillmatic Late Registration and Stankonia. These albums might not be able to hold a candle to albums like Illmatic, Miseducation, Aquemini, Midnight Marauders, Life After Death, Ready To Die, 36 Chambers, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx or The Chronic, but they are better than some of the albums considered classic in the '90's.
  • InMyLifeTime91
    edited August 2010
    Options
    College Dropout and numerous other albums from '00 is an album I'd easily put over It's Dark and Hell Is Hot. I remember when IDAHIH came out. At the time it was THAT album, but to me it's overhyped. It has some dope songs, but I didn't hear anything special about it.

Out of the albums considered classic from the '00's the only ones that are better than classics from the '90's are College Dropout, Blueprint,The Fix, Stillmatic Late Registration and Stankonia. These albums might not be able to hold a candle to albums like Illmatic, Miseducation, Aquemini, Midnight Marauders, Life After Death, Ready To Die, 36 Chambers, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx or The Chronic, but they are better than some of the albums considered classic in the '90's.

yeah i feel yuh man but to me CD aint ? wit IDAHIH. to me, thats one of the best albums i ever heard. College Dropout is definitly a classic tho. n so r all the other albums u named.
  • 5th Letter
    edited August 2010
    Options
    It's Dark and Hell Is Hot defined the sound of the late 90's. Hip Hop had a movement of new rappers and X was the leader, that album was perfect for it's time it defined the era, and that is a criteria for a classic album.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Food & Liquor
    Distant Relatives
    N.I.G.G.E.R
    Ecstatic
    MM...Food
    Stillmatic
    Lost Tapes
    True Magic
    Desire
    Born Like This

etc....
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited August 2010
    Options

no you don't...there's classic albums where I personally just don't like 1 or 2 songs on it but that doesn't take away from the fact that it's a classic
  • 5th Letter
    edited August 2010
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    no you don't...there's classic albums where I personally just don't like 1 or 2 songs on it but that doesn't take away from the fact that it's a classic

True like on RD I skip Cashmere Thoughts and Can I Live II
  • Mvpbrodie93
    Mvpbrodie93 Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Peopl only dickride what heads tell them are classics.
    If you want your album to be accepted as a classsic by the community you need to find all the "heads" you can an tell them to spread word that your album is a classic.
  • NAWLEDGE_REIGNS
    edited August 2010
    Options
    The Middle Part Of Part Of Dropout Had A Few Skippable Tracks...He Should Replaced That Luda Track With Home (orignal version) And Scrapped That WOrkout Joint...I Know Im Forgettin Somethin Else...It Wouldve Made For A Solidass Album
  • 5th Letter
    edited August 2010
    Options
    The Middle Part Of Part Of Dropout Had A Few Skippable Tracks...He Should Replaced That Luda Track With Home (orignal version) And Scrapped That WOrkout Joint...I Know Im Forgettin Somethin Else...It Wouldve Made For A Solidass Album

What's wrong with the Luda track? I thought it was dope. But yeah I co sign you about the Workout Plan.